Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Storm-Sky
    Scout
    • Sep 2011

I just noticed a an extra benefit not listed, it also restores your stats when reduced, that isn't listed on the item properties, by the way I find it very useful as im playing a half-troll warrior.
    My Ladder:
    http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=Storm-Sky

Comment

• Narvius
      Knight
      • Dec 2007

Wasn't that a side effect of restoring a level with Restore Life Levels?
      If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Narvius
        Wasn't that a side effect of restoring a level with Restore Life Levels?
        Yes if you lose entire level, and not just XP. Kind of loophole to fix time-ruined stats, but can take a while if you are at clvl 50 with huge XP buffer. I don't know if that is worth "fixing", it just creates one more strategy to fix stats.

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
          Ehh, besides the AC it's nothing much; it just happened to be useful when you found it.

I don't think there's any way of knowing what it was based on.
          It should now say "Based on Something" in the dump text. Not sure if that only shows up in the spoiler, but it should definitely be there somewhere.
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Thraalbee
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Storm-Sky
            Just found an awsome randart in 3.3.2

The guantlets of Randen [3+46] provides resistants to fire, prevents paralyzes, activates for restore life levels, found on level 20

What artifact is this based on? It's extreemly powerful
            Once game is over create a spoiler for artifacts. In the spo file you will see which artifact it was based on . At least it worked in 3.2

Comment

• Nomad
              Knight
              • Sep 2010

I haven't even fully identified this one yet, but it's already managed to be memorable:

Code:
              h) the Cloak of Naron [1] <+4, +1> {special}
                   Found lying on the floor at 50 feet (level 1).

You do not know the full extent of this item's powers.
                   +4 strength, stealth.
                   +1 light radius.
                   Grants telepathy.  

It can be activated.
              Literally the first thing I picked up, four steps from the up stairs.

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Nomad
                I haven't even fully identified this one yet, but it's already managed to be memorable:

Code:
                h) the Cloak of Naron [1] <+4, +1> {special}
                     Found lying on the floor at 50 feet (level 1).

You do not know the full extent of this item's powers.
                     +4 strength, stealth.
                     +1 light radius.
                     Grants telepathy.  

It can be activated.
                Literally the first thing I picked up, four steps from the up stairs.
                Wow - nice. Please print the spoiler when you finish the game, as I'd like to see what its min/max depths are, and its overall power level, and its parent standart. Is this v4 btw?
                "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nomad
                  Knight
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Magnate
                  Wow - nice. Please print the spoiler when you finish the game, as I'd like to see what its min/max depths are, and its overall power level, and its parent standart. Is this v4 btw?
                  Yep. 14th December version; I've played quite a lot of games in this version and the drops have seemed fairly balanced so far in the early game, so this might just be luck of the RNG. The only other artefact I've found, a couple of games back, was a fairly low-level randart helm around dlevel 15.

This game's still in progress, but if I'm deciphering randart.log correctly, it appears to be based off of Thorin, with these stats:

Code:
                  FINAL POWER IS 240
                  Old depths are min 40, max 127
                  Alloc prob is 51
                  k_ptr->alloc_prob is 25
                  New depths are min 41, max 127
                  Power-based alloc_prob is 51

Comment

• Magnate
                    Angband Devteam member
                    • May 2007

Yep. 14th December version; I've played quite a lot of games in this version and the drops have seemed fairly balanced so far in the early game, so this might just be luck of the RNG. The only other artefact I've found, a couple of games back, was a fairly low-level randart helm around dlevel 15.

This game's still in progress, but if I'm deciphering randart.log correctly, it appears to be based off of Thorin, with these stats:

Code:
                    FINAL POWER IS 240
                    Old depths are min 40, max 127
                    Alloc prob is 51
                    k_ptr->alloc_prob is 25
                    New depths are min 41, max 127
                    Power-based alloc_prob is 51
                    Oh good, that's very encouraging - you were just freakishly lucky to find it 40 levels OOD. Its alloc_prob of 51 (roughly 5 in old money, or rarity 20 in very old money) is not too bad. It isn't ultra-rare or overpowered, just really uber for dl1.

I'm glad that the general balance of items seems ok now. I did a very quick adjustment when I confirmed that I had overshot on the generosity of affixes, and I'm glad it's turning out ok. I'll be running some more stats to analyse it more closely this weekend or next week.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

If it is based on Thorin it probably has quite a lot more than just ESP, STR and some stealth. That is unless Thorin has been severely weakened in v4 (Magnate has tried to do that in vanilla countless times, but has been voted down each time by other people).

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                        If it is based on Thorin it probably has quite a lot more than just ESP, STR and some stealth. That is unless Thorin has been severely weakened in v4 (Magnate has tried to do that in vanilla countless times, but has been voted down each time by other people).
                        Wow, your malice is getting the better of you. I actually tried just once, removing rSound. This was then reverted after the fuss kicked up by you/Eddie about how this ruined "standard endgame kit" (the entire concept of which is bogus).

What I have done "countless times" is point how how totally unbalanced Thorin is for its depth and rarity.

Eventually I succeeded in persuading the community to accept changes to Thorin in V, though they were made by Jens rather than me. There are also now some more competing artifact shields.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Wow, your malice is getting the better of you. I actually tried just once, removing rSound. This was then reverted after the fuss kicked up by you/Eddie about how this ruined "standard endgame kit" (the entire concept of which is bogus).

What I have done "countless times" is point how how totally unbalanced Thorin is for its depth and rarity.
                          Which I count as trying to weaken Thorin (by lobbying).

Eventually I succeeded in persuading the community to accept changes to Thorin in V, though they were made by Jens rather than me. There are also now some more competing artifact shields.
                          I would not have agreed with that change, but at that time several other things changed as well (multiple PVAL:s got implemented), so I was not sure how well it played out. It wasn't very severe change (STR dropped by one and it got negative stealth of -1) unlike what you tried to lobby (plain PVAL drop which would have dropped CON as well). I would believe you are still trying to do that off the scene (in dev IRC?).

After 3.3 was released my interest in playing the game severely dropped, I guess because it is so badly broken in so many ways, and devs are not interested at all to discuss what they think should be changed in V with mundane people. I feel that when Takkaria left vanilla was deserted. It is now that stagnate game that it was before he started working with it, problem is that it is now left in much worse condition than what Robert left it.

Comment

• Djabanete
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

Come on, now, what's with the guerilla warfare?

From Entroband Vanilla mode, dropped by Shagrat in the mid-teens:

The Cloak 'Faroth' [1,+14] (+4 to searching)
                            It has +4 to STR, INT, DEX, CON; sus CON; res elec, disenchantment, and fear; hold life. Not bad! This helped rocket my one and only Entro winner to victory =D

Comment

• debo
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

After 3.3 was released my interest in playing the game severely dropped, I guess because it is so badly broken in so many ways, and devs are not interested at all to discuss what they think should be changed in V with mundane people.
                              I'm really curious as to what you think is "broken" in 3.3. I'm dead new to Angband, but I've played the hell out of and won several other roguelikes, and Angband 3.3 is probably the best I've played of the bunch IMO. I was astonished to find this level of polish in a console Roguelike. Also, I liked how I was able to pick it up as a newbie with a character that is supposed to be newbie friendly, and that it only took a few times (with many close brushes with death) before I was able to win.

I think that if I hadn't played so many other roguelikes, I would have died countless times playing vanilla 3.3, regardless of what character I picked.
                              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Magnate
                                Angband Devteam member
                                • May 2007

I would not have agreed with that change, but at that time several other things changed as well (multiple PVAL:s got implemented), so I was not sure how well it played out. It wasn't very severe change (STR dropped by one and it got negative stealth of -1) unlike what you tried to lobby (plain PVAL drop which would have dropped CON as well). I would believe you are still trying to do that off the scene (in dev IRC?).
                                Not really - I'm quite a lot more relaxed about Thorin now, and haven't lobbied for changing it for quite a while. Jens's changes (which included increased rarity), and the introductions of Elros and The Sun, seem to be enough.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎