X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
    Things are getting even crazier: I left the game (w. saving) and reloaded again. Now the ring in slot d) was fine and the game didn't ask if I want to drop anything, even with the amulet in slot e) was inscribed with "!d".

Left and reloaded again - and the game inscribed slot c,d with "!d, ignore" again (and e still with "!d"), and asked if I want to drop c) and d) ...
    OK, I get the same inscription behaviour when running on Windows with the folder you gave me, but the game doesn't ask me about dropping. Running the latest version, the problem seems to have gone. Maybe try the latest version?
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Arralen
      Swordsman
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Nick
      OK, I get the same inscription behaviour when running on Windows with the folder you gave me, but the game doesn't ask me about dropping. Running the latest version, the problem seems to have gone. Maybe try the latest version?
      Asking about dropping, as the auto-inscribe, does not happen consistently. Tried several times, sometimes removing the inscription before quitting, sometimes not ... and I couldn't discerne any pattern.

Copied the save and the rndart.txt to 226.
      Everything was fine, but I had to play with tiles, too much "zoomed in" and on 1 monitor.

So I copied over the faangband.INI ... and the inscribing+dropping started immediately even with 226.

Several tries later, the problem seems to has magically fixed itself, just as it appeared !?!?! And no, I have not accidently started the 196 version ... that savegame in that folder is still from 2021-05-16.

Some "creeping" save file corruption that is written to another point in the file on each save?
      Last edited by Arralen; May 21, 2021, 20:53.
      No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
      Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Some "creeping" save file corruption that is written to another point in the file on each save?
        I dunno. Let's just keep it in mind.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Latest updates fix artifact devices (I hope) and themed levels - take note MITZE

Comment

• MITZE
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2017

Latest updates fix artifact devices (I hope) and themed levels - take note MITZE
            Thanks; I just need to knock out some things I'm already working on IRL before I get back to playing (and to ask Gwarl to delete my FAA save on the webserver, I think there's weirdness attached to it, like my consistently not getting the proper flavor text for arts).

You want Warrior, Mage, or Priest to be given a once-over next?
            Last edited by MITZE; May 23, 2021, 02:45. Reason: Fixed formatting.
            Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MITZE
              You want Warrior, Mage, or Priest to be given a once-over next?
              I don't really mind - they're really not much different from their V versions. Not to say you won't find something that's broken about those, like you did for rangers...

Comment

• Arralen
                Swordsman
                • May 2007

Now I am gretting crashes when leaving the options menue (2nd hit of "ESC") while setting up the subwindows ... started with v226 and happens with v259 as well.
                Everything is fine until I try to put PLAYER(EXTRA) on any Term.

... and STATUS doesn't seem to do anything?!?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Arralen; May 29, 2021, 20:17.
                Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Latest update should fix this, thanks to backwardsEric and Cuboideb.

Comment

• Arralen
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2007

Now I am gretting crashes when leaving the options menue ...
                    FIXED.

But ...

Now I can't leave the "Help file 'commands.txt'" ... SPACE took me to the 2nd page, ESC did not work, screen was only flickering as if trying to do something, then refreshing the help screen.
                    ESC did work on the subwindows option screen, though.

UPDATE: I tried to close FAA2 using the X button. Little window came up said "you must close all windows". Ok, tried ESC again - and it worked "down" to the main window.

UPDATE2: Can't recreate this. Sadly, can't remember which "exotic" key combination I used that didn't work so the game prompted me to use "?" which I did, what got me stuck in the help screen ...

... aaaand another one:

3-headed hydras aren't supposed to be invisible, right?
                    Yet, after encountering a "Q", things have started to (not) show up in a strange way. At first I had some small things gnaw at me, that a staff of "Detect Invisible" couldn't detect.
                    Now I had a Hydra standing right next to me and bite me 2x, and I didn't see it until I used a Rod of Detection?!
                    The detected invisible monster should be the Mystic "p", right?
                    I hit it, and it turned invisible again "You miss something. You freeze something (46)". A hydra. Right next to me!?!?
                    ... taptaptaptap ... taptaptapsmack GROAARR!!!

Is this some new kind of curse? If not, dear devs, you do not need to take note, really ...

Yes, I tried to make a living from this. Didn't work out. Considering the working conditions in the computer gaming industry today, I guess that is a good thing ...
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Arralen; May 30, 2021, 08:13.
                    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

3-headed hydras aren't supposed to be invisible, right?
                      Yet, after encountering a "Q", things have started to (not) show up in a strange way. At first I had some small things gnaw at me, that a staff of "Detect Invisible" couldn't detect.
                      Now I had a Hydra standing right next to me and bite me 2x, and I didn't see it until I used a Rod of Detection?!
                      The detected invisible monster should be the Mystic "p", right?
                      I hit it, and it turned invisible again "You miss something. You freeze something (46)". A hydra. Right next to me!?!?
                      This does seem odd. Do you have the savefile (and randart file if it's not the same character as before)?

I couldn't reproduce the help issue either.

Comment

• Arralen
                        Swordsman
                        • May 2007

This does seem odd. Do you have the savefile (and randart file if it's not the same character as before)?
                        It is.
                        I have attached the savefile.

I couldn't reproduce the help issue either.
                        No problem, I couldn't either.
                        Must have been some SHIFT-letter combination .. let me try some ...

OMG!
                        The auto-ignore-inscription is back! And again the game does not ask every time if I want to drop that ring in the d)-slot.

Did not notice the inscription before I reloaded the save and tried the keys ... and after using SHIFT-K it's gone again?!?!
                        Why does using SHIFT-K inscribe (and partly uninscribes) slot d) or e) jewelry with "ignore" or "!d, ignore" ... isn't it supposed to do nothing?

Must have been some other key combination that send me to the ?-files, though.

And the Hydra still vanished on the next turn ...
                        Attached Files
                        Never. Ever.

Comment

• Arralen
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2007

And the next one!
                          At least this one seems to be reproducable from the savefile:
                          Just ignore the Hyrda and step south-east on the broken door ...
                          Does not happen on the northern broken door, though.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Arralen; May 30, 2021, 14:52.
                          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

OK, here's what I have on these ones:
                            • If you used release 265 or 266, there was a bug introduced which would explain the crash; fixed in 268.
                            • The hydra being invisible I cannot reproduce.
                            • 'K' is supposed to make all the already ignored things visible; my guess here is that there's something leftover in your ignoring settings from before I removed the possibility of ignoring ring and amulet types, and now there's no way to remove it...

Comment

• MITZE
                              Swordsman
                              • Jan 2017

invisible hydra
                              Not sure if it's the same thing, but there were situations during my Ranger game where I seemed to be having problems directly seeing monsters (but could see them just fine with detects)--I figured it was lighting problems, and never looked into it enough to determine whether it was a bug or not.

To that end, if it's not implemented already, I would suggest explicitly marking any monster that projects unlight as doing so in monster memory, to make ruling such out (or not) easier (I'd just check my monster memory to see if it was implemented, except I seem to have deleted it).
                              Last edited by MITZE; May 30, 2021, 23:14. Reason: Fixed formatting.
                              Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MITZE
                                To that end, if it's not implemented already, I would suggest explicitly marking any monster that projects unlight as doing so in monster memory, to make ruling such out (or not) easier (I'd just check my monster memory to see if it was implemented, except I seem to have deleted it).
                                It is implemented already - I will keep on eye out for this problem, though.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎