X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aldernut
    Rookie
    • Nov 2020

Originally posted by Nick
    Just to clarify - which version are you playing? The answers to your questions will depend on that.
    2.0 beta 1.

Comment

• Aldernut
      Rookie
      • Nov 2020

Here's an additional observation:

Many of the player character tiles seem to be off, at least compared to the FAangband 1.44 version.

For example, making a dark elf necromancer using Shockbolt tiles creates a generic armoured warrior as the PC. Other choices seem to default to this generic armoured warrior as well. In the 1.44 version, each of them seems to have a fitting PC model. For example, necromancer is this robed figure with blue magic coming from hands.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

OK.

Originally posted by Aldernut
        1) Does this variant always preserve artifacts? Is birth_lose_arts effectively the same option as old preserve, turned on its head?
        Correct; if birth_lose_arts is on, artifacts will not be preserved.

2) Has the old autoroll (=specify minimal stats at birth) been removed entirely from this version? Can it be added back? Would you? Can I add it back myself just by editing some options file?
        It is gone, and thoroughly gone, I'm afraid. Anything can of course be added back through code changes, but I'm not planning to add this back.

3) Is the old stat maximization option on or off in this variant?
        I think it's maximize on; in any case, it's the one everyone always used

4) Would it be possible to add some choices for hp gain at levelup? Such as, averaging HD for hp, maximum HD of hp, minimum HD of hp.
        I guess it would be possible, but again it's not something I'm planning to do. I feel like this is a fairly niche concern, there is a limit to how much time I have to spend on the game at all, and the game is complicated enough as is.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Here's an additional observation:

Many of the player character tiles seem to be off, at least compared to the FAangband 1.44 version.

For example, making a dark elf necromancer using Shockbolt tiles creates a generic armoured warrior as the PC. Other choices seem to default to this generic armoured warrior as well. In the 1.44 version, each of them seems to have a fitting PC model. For example, necromancer is this robed figure with blue magic coming from hands.
          Yes, indeed, tiles as a whole are pretty hopeless at this stage; in fact they are probably the main unfinished business that is stopping me releasing this as 2.0.

Comment

• Sacksquatch
            Apprentice
            • Jun 2020

Been messing around with the new BG on Angband nightly. Good changes. Safe to assume that class update will be coming to FA?

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sacksquatch
              Been messing around with the new BG on Angband nightly. Good changes. Safe to assume that class update will be coming to FA?
              Yes, I'm keeping it updated along with V. And I'm hoping to have 2.0 out fairly soon after V4.2.2, which is not far off.

Comment

• tg122
                Apprentice
                • Dec 2007

Yes, I'm keeping it updated along with V. And I'm hoping to have 2.0 out fairly soon after V4.2.2, which is not far off.
                That's great news! Thank you and the team for all your hard work on V, and thanks for resurrecting FAangband, I'm really looking forward to picking that up again. I will always remember FAangband as the first Angband variant (including V) where I ever got a character to level 30, back when I first discovered Angband almost 15 years ago.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2019

Nick... you have a team??
                  Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DavidMedley
                    Nick... you have a team??
                    Well, if you look at the thanks file...

Comment

• Sacksquatch
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 2020

Compiled this in sdl2. The map only does local map, it doesn't do the world map. Should this be done in GTK?

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Compiled this in sdl2. The map only does local map, it doesn't do the world map. Should this be done in GTK?
                        The 'M' command only gives a map of the current level, then a local one of the nearby levels. There should be a world map in the help, but I haven't put it in yet - thanks for reminding me

Comment

• Sacksquatch
                          Apprentice
                          • Jun 2020

It's giving me the current map, but where you press a key to continue to local map (that you can navigate with arrow keys), it just closes everything and I don't see the local map.

I just did some testing and it works on x11, but not on sdl2.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

It's giving me the current map, but where you press a key to continue to local map (that you can navigate with arrow keys), it just closes everything and I don't see the local map.

I just did some testing and it works on x11, but not on sdl2.
                            Hm, that's odd. I'll have a look.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2019

Well, if you look at the thanks file...
                              That's a big team!
                              Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

The 'M' command only gives a map of the current level, then a local one of the nearby levels. There should be a world map in the help, but I haven't put it in yet - thanks for reminding me
                                Looking through the Extended Wilderness map, it appears you've removed the direct path from West Beleriand to East Beleriand that used to exist below Meneroth in FAAngband. Now a @ must either take the Ent Path or go over the top of Gondolin through either the Dorthonian forest or the Lothlann desert. Don't know that this is an improvement, given how long it will now take to get to either Amon Rudh or Nargothrond.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess. Viewing the Standard Wilderness map, such a route exists. Though I would argue there should be one in the Extended Wilderness too.
                                Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; December 20, 2020, 00:05.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎