• Thraalbee
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

Yes, Skillmaster. High elf.

Comment

• Sacksquatch
      Apprentice
      • Jun 2020

Request: Add an option (like V angband) to favor heavier weapons instead of light?

When I think of badass warriors, I don't picture them with daggers heh. It's your baby, but would you consider adding in an Oangband equivalent option to flip that script?

I don't code, so I have ZERO clue of how much I just asked of you, lol. Apologies or thanks in advance. o7

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

FrogComposband does not inherently favor either light weapons or heavy weapons. On a class like warrior, both are entirely competitive throughout the game; which weapon works best for you is likely to depend on the weapon's bonuses, how it fits with your other equipment and what off-weapon boosts it receives, and unlikely to depend (much) on the weapon's weight. And I think that's how it ought to be; it means there are real choices for the player, and no weapon is automatically useless or obsolete just because it's too heavy or too light.

But there are some characters, like giant-pact warlocks and (especially) maulers, who strongly prefer to use heavy weapons; and others (duelists, ninjas, Sneaky characters) who like to use lighter stuff.
        Last edited by Sideways; December 14, 2020, 00:15.
        The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Sacksquatch
          Apprentice
          • Jun 2020

Good to know, thanks. I had assumed it was like the others, and all about light weapons and blows. These games are a lot for a newer guy like me to take in.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

V's weapon mechanics are very different, both in terms of blow calculations and how weapons interact with your other equipment. But even in V (without the O combat option), it's only the early game where lighter weapons rule; once you approach the endgame, your best big-damage option is almost certain (far more so than in FrogComposband!) to be something big and heavy.

Comment

• budswell
              Adept
              • Jun 2008

What is the actual effect of "Heavy Armor" red status warning?
              Does the limit rise if I increase my strength (character is a Nija-Lawyer)?
              http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
              http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• Sideways
                Knight
                • Nov 2008

The effects of heavy armor depend somewhat on your class. On Ninjas and Ninja-Lawyers specifically, heavy armor gives penalties to your stealth and speed and cancels out several class-specific bonuses you would otherwise get. Other weight-limited classes like Monks are penalized in different ways, but it's universally so bad you never ever want it. (Regardless of your class, heavy armor eliminates any extra shooting speed you might otherwise get from high Archery skill.)

The total armor weight limit is class- and CL-dependent; it does not rise with additional strength, but will go up as you gain levels.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                  Swordsman
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sideways
                  The total armor weight limit is class- and CL-dependent; it does not rise with additional strength, but will go up as you gain levels.
                  I still would like either a 'Safe Armor Weight' indicator in the Char info or ready access to the formulas. (ie: Max Armor 14.5/20)
                  Knowing the start weight, per level gain, and weight cap would be very useful. Knowing the numbers for the Ninja, in no way informs a player of the numbers of a Monk, Mystic, Ninja-Lawyer, etc...

Comment

• budswell
                    Adept
                    • Jun 2008

Thanks. How does it interact with race limits?
                    e.g. My Tomte Ninja-Lawyer should not wear helmets, so if he does are his ninja abilities affected? or does it just affect his tomte ones (not sure what they are)?
                    http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
                    http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                      Swordsman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by budswell
                      e.g. My Tomte Ninja-Lawyer should not wear helmets, so if he does are his ninja abilities affected? or does it just affect his tomte ones (not sure what they are)?
                      Slot limitations don't matter. No helmet is no helmet. If your maximum safe weight is say 20lbs, and you have a 20lb chestpiece on, that is all you can wear before losing your abilities.

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by budswell
                        An overweight helmet will affect both your ninja bonuses and your tomte ones; but overweight regular armor will affect the ninja bonuses only.

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

I'm looking at the unique kill list on the dump and there is room for a column with the character's level and the time.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                            Knight
                            • Sep 2010

Berserker Vampire and @' PermLite +

Hmmm, I get confused about Vampire Berserker. Inherent PermLight seems wrong. Also, I dived with a Ds lamp and ... saw nothing. Took it off and saw normally. But also, I discovered I had forgot to check other equipment and had multiple sources of PermLight including @ which seemed to be ok, no penalty except for wielding a Lu lamp (which I didn't).

What I am missing? Or is this unexpected?

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Thraalbee
                              Hmmm, I get confused about Vampire Berserker. Inherent PermLight seems wrong. Also, I dived with a Ds lamp and ... saw nothing. Took it off and saw normally. But also, I discovered I had forgot to check other equipment and had multiple sources of PermLight including @ which seemed to be ok, no penalty except for wielding a Lu lamp (which I didn't).

What I am missing? Or is this unexpected?

http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=24128&ok
                              Monster-mode vampires have night vision, but "normal" vampires do not, instead they see with light-producing items and their intrinsic "light" of radius 1. Vampires (both types) start with vulnerability to light, and take damage from the sun and from lamps (that aren't dark lamps) while they remain vulnerable to light. They can use Lu items normally, and can walk in sunlight normally and even use lamps normally if their resists cancel the vLight out.

Giving night vision to normal vampires has been requested before, and I've given it some thought, but it has so far not been implemented.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                                Apprentice
                                • Jan 2009

Does a Ring of Wizardry (+0, +12) add to damage from offensive "spells" from a Magic Eater? I tried one on and did not see any in-game indication of +12 damage from absorbed wands of Magic Missile, Frost Bolt, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎