X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
    Check your blows/round without the shield. I believe it gains 0.25 blows? You seem to gain 8 damage taking the shield away without jewellery & 9 with the amulet which would line up with the 0.25 blows x +dam on jewellery. For the ring it's 8 & 12 which is a couple of pts out when I calculate in my head, though keep in mind it gets those figures by making a bunch of combat rolls. They change slightly every turn just from RNG shenanigins. I could be wrong but I think that's what you're seeing there.
    You are correct, the blows goes from 2.05 to 2.33. +0.28 blows per round.

I checked several times and the numbers I posted were stable across 10x ~W checks. The Crit %Chance and multiplier changed, but not the damage numbers themselves.

Hard to park the shield, (5,+15) {Ac} Heh heh, but in the sake of butt-kicking...

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
      I was given to understand that rings of combat applied fully when only one weapon is equipped. I have found a case where that isn't so.
      Rings of combat always apply only to the weapon in the same hand as the ring. When one weapon is equipped with both hands, both rings of combat apply because that weapon is in the same hand as the ring for both rings.

Using a shield doesn't allow you to equip the weapon with both hands, so only one ring (the right-hand ring, if the weapon's in your right hand) will apply. Some weapons are too small to be wielded two-handed anyway; in those cases, only the right-hand ring would apply even if you had no shield.
      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
        Swordsman
        • Feb 2009

@Sideways Thank you for clearing that up. I had always assumed it dealt solely with the number of weapons equipped.

Are there any other Handedness issues with other rings, Wizardry/Archery/etc...?

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

@Sideways Thank you for clearing that up. I had always assumed it dealt solely with the number of weapons equipped.

Are there any other Handedness issues with other rings, Wizardry/Archery/etc...?
          Anything related to melee combat. So melee bonuses on ring randarts (or Rings of the Dwarves/Nazgul) work the same as combat rings, ditto Weaponmastery on rings of power (or ring randarts); but not wizardry/archery.

Comment

• MITZE
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2017

Just been to the bank for the first time . . .

EDIT: Nothing here, move along.
            Last edited by MITZE; February 1, 2019, 04:35. Reason: Because in hindsight it isn't so funny.
            Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• MITZE
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2017

Bugfixes

!Clarity and I suspect !GreaterClarity and !RestoreMana work for restoring rage-mage SPs; they probably should not (like they don't with rune-knights IIRC). Ditto with whatever the SP-restoring staves were called.
              Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                Swordsman
                • Feb 2009

Possible Bug

I was playing with the options auto_detect_traps and auto_map_area on and had found a rod of Detection. My Char's Int is truly pathetic so the Rod has a, iirc, 33% failure chance. I noticed as I was moving about that the rod was triggering easily.
                So, does the auto code only check for charges/scrolls and ignores failure chance?

Fairly minor and I turn those option off and walk carefully late game, but still?

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

I was playing with the options auto_detect_traps and auto_map_area on and had found a rod of Detection. My Char's Int is truly pathetic so the Rod has a, iirc, 33% failure chance. I noticed as I was moving about that the rod was triggering easily.
                  So, does the auto code only check for charges/scrolls and ignores failure chance?

Fairly minor and I turn those option off and walk carefully late game, but still?
                  This sounds like the same issue we discussed in early December, am I missing some difference here?

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                    Swordsman
                    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sideways
                    This sounds like the same issue we discussed in early December, am I missing some difference here?
                    My bad. I wasn't sure if I had mentioned it before.

'They say when you get older two things go first, Memory, and I can't remember the other one...'
                    Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; February 22, 2019, 14:35.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                      Swordsman
                      • Feb 2009

I never considered it an issue, but when I start a werewolf they don't start with a light source and this last WW start there were no torchs, lanterns, illumination items to buy. Couldn't even use the over map to reach the next town. Rather than restarting, I played it out.

Was amusing for a bit to map levels by bouncing my nose off walls. Survived as a Hex caster, Stinking Mist until damage messages stopped, and then search for the loot in the dark. LOL! It wasn't until I farmed L1-4 of the Warrens for some ungodly number of times before I found a Lantern. WWolves have good infravison, but that doesn't help with some foes, and traps... less said the better. :P

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

Werewolves will start with food and light in 7.1.toffee.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                          Apprentice
                          • Jan 2009

Toffee?

Werewolves will start with food and light in 7.1.toffee.
                          Do you have a release date in mind for 7.1.toffee?
                          Maybe it could be the subject of the next monthly contest.

As the first non-7.0.x release, should we expect more changes compared to previous incremental releases?

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ShadowTechnology
                            Do you have a release date in mind for 7.1.toffee?
                            Maybe it could be the subject of the next monthly contest.

As the first non-7.0.x release, should we expect more changes compared to previous incremental releases?
                            7.1.toffee was originally intended to be a relatively radical update, but due to various delays (I got sidetracked for a while, and filthy rag testing has consumed a lot of time) most of the more dramatic changes have been postponed. The change list for 7.1.toffee is fairly similar in length and tone to most previous releases, there's a couple big things (Cornucopia, and regular jewelry randarts) but mostly it's tweaks, bugfixes and small improvements/additions.

A pre-release of toffee went up on github and angband.live today, usually it takes a week or two of testing and last-minute changes from pre-release to official release so expect toffee at some point in the first half of March.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
                              Apprentice
                              • Jan 2009

7.1.toffee was originally intended to be a relatively radical update, but due to various delays (I got sidetracked for a while, and filthy rag testing has consumed a lot of time) most of the more dramatic changes have been postponed. The change list for 7.1.toffee is fairly similar in length and tone to most previous releases, there's a couple big things (Cornucopia, and regular jewelry randarts) but mostly it's tweaks, bugfixes and small improvements/additions.

A pre-release of toffee went up on github and angband.live today, usually it takes a week or two of testing and last-minute changes from pre-release to official release so expect toffee at some point in the first half of March.
                              Thanks. Looking forward to it. For those of us who can't easily use angband.live (due to satellite latency), we will get a first look at the Orc and Boit (?) races, yes?

Comment

• Sideways
                                Knight
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ShadowTechnology
                                Thanks. Looking forward to it. For those of us who can't easily use angband.live (due to satellite latency), we will get a first look at the Orc and Boit (?) races, yes?
                                Yes, also the dreaded Filthy Rag, which is still somewhat beta due to my repeated failures to survive long enough to get a feel for what their endgame is like.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎