X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Almost certainly not a bug.

You can get curses in two ways; they can be an inherent part of the item, or they can be added to the item like when you're cursed by an enemy. The former kind of curse cannot be removed, while the latter type can (the ancient foul curse is not any exception in this respect). What's somewhat confusing is that a cursed item can be created with removable, slapped-on bonus curses, so unless you look closely you might think them native to the item when they're actually not.

It's really rare for an ancient foul curse to appear non-natively on an item that isn't either heavily or permanently cursed, which is the only part here that bothers me a bit; but I do think it's possible.

The abbreviation for an ancient foul curse is simply Ty (Topi Ylinen); and if that's not in the inscription, the curse isn't an inherent part of the item and should be removable.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Cursed quest rewards will be gone in the next version, by the way (except where one is actually stipulated).

Comment

• TauzentBlitz
        Scout
        • May 2018

Trying out a Calvary character. How important is it that I'm using a weapons with "riding" listed in the description?

Edit: Well, I couldn't get Rodeo to work at all with a weapon that didn't have it on, so I guess it's really important?
        Last edited by TauzentBlitz; May 18, 2018, 15:02.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mocht
          Should shops be changed so that useless things are not offered for sale
          For instance, if a character is above level 30 then there is no chance that they would consider buying potions of cure light wounds
          Personally, I prefer *bands that permanently stock basic items. Oil, food, +0 ammunition.
          It's tough to play an Archer when the RNG decides you get no arrows until L10 and you can make your own.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

It's very hard to predict what items a character will need. For example, scrolls of detect monsters are utterly useless for much of the game (in many cases, the entire game), but can become a sneaky option at the end if you don't have detection spells and don't want to rely on devices that get charge-drained.

Even if I did manage to predict everything, it would create weird shops (doesn't the shop have any other customers?) and either make the game easier (if fewer uninteresting items generating meant more useful items generating) or just result in shops with more empty room (if additional useful items were not generated). I don't see either of those as a desirable result.

Note that to some extent, shops already do change to meet the player's needs. You get better stuff later in the game; you also get lots of !CSW early on, but not so much later when you start having better options.

---

I don't subscribe to the view that shops should always have what the player wants. That's what the home is for! Reliably stocking ammo in the early game feels like a reasonable request from a gameplay point of view, though.

Comment

• OmniNegro
              Scout
              • Jul 2014

Chaos Deities absolutely will wreck you eventually. They can also help out a lot. But the chance of a terrible mutation, the removal of a good mutation, or them basically nuking you and your equipment is almost certain over 50 levels.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Shrug, I sometimes use !clw on a lvl 30 hound. They breathe from hps and have multiple ways of getting out of los quickly. ?detect monster which was also mentioned I use from time to time. A bunch of mages don't get a detect but do have mage hps. You can get somewhere dangerous quicker using it.

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

I used destruction and Polyphemus, the guardian of Mine, disappeared
                  I rested on the level and Polyphemus respawned
                  Is that a bug
                  No, that's exactly what's supposed to happen; the same thing will happen with any other guardian or dungeon quest monster, including Oberon and the Serpent of Chaos.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Aren't they immune to everything but hitting them?

Comment

• Sideways
                      Knight
                      • Nov 2008

Monster info says spellwarp automatons only resist teleportation
                      But I think they are immune
                      Yeah, the whole teleportation immunity/resistance thing is implemented really stupidly; there's no actual "immune to teleportation" flag, there's just resist teleportation, but for some monsters (uniques, and monsters who're "immune to everything" like spellwarp automatons) that effectively becomes immunity. For uniques it's actually displayed as immunity, but for spellwarp automatons it's not. I'll fix that.

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

"All Combat people have great respect for the legendary "Combat Echizen""
                        Does this have any effect on gameplay
                        Not as far as I know.

I wouldn't worry too much about the screenshot, but pav would be the person to contact if you think something needs to be done.

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

I have a character on level 98 of Angband and he hasn't completed the Dragonslayer quest
                          To trigger the Demonslayer quest would he need to go to a shallower depth in Angband
                          Yes. (If he did that, he would probably become the first character ever to go out of his way to meet ten pit fiends.)

The Sexy whip isn't going anywhere. Removing humorous content from the game, even if it isn't particularly funny humorous content, goes against all my game design principles.

Reforging is a very long way from pointless; if anything, I fear it's too strong. But I've seen people not get good results from reforging because they don't know how it works. Have you read the reforging mini-guide near the end of the FAQ?

The problem with longer player names is that the high score listing can only easily accommodate 15 characters; but perhaps that could be worked around.

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

Double chaos resistance gives immunity to mutations caused by chaos attacks, but it doesn't protect/prevent you from acquiring mutations in other ways (like by potions of polymorph).

I will have a quick look at the rewards. Remember, though, that the Sand Pit reward pretty much sucks for everybody (unless they get really lucky with an ego) and the real reward of doing Sand Pit is that you get to do Dragon Quest without losing fame.

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

It seems to me that a retaliation cloak would make any melee character stronger (except a monk, of course),
                              It does

but lots of melee winners aren't wearing retaliation cloaks
                              Am I not seeing something
                              What are they wearing instead?

Retribution is nice but on a winner it's competing with endgame gear. Tricky to find one with resists(shadow, aman, ?...). I took a look myself & most winners it's a little tricky to see - generally the cloak is not particularly OP. You want to look what it's covering: a resistance hole, maxing con for hps or str/dex for blows, speed. Really a cloak of retribution has to compete with strong gear in other slots, people use the generally weak cloak slot to plug the holes.

That said retribution & an endgame vampiric is worth considering if you can do it. The serpent itself is immune to vampirism but that's not necessarily true of it's summons.

Comment

• wobbly
                                Prophet
                                • May 2012

Well, I'd suggest using 1 then & going on to win then there will be 1 more melee winner with a cloak of retribution. Both my melee wins used cloaks of retribution, I found them to be good.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎