• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Mocht
    I encountered a problem with posting a character dump
    I wanted to update, all I had done was rearrange equipment, and received the message "Character with same name and same email and higher experience already stored!"
    I assume an xp draining sword caused the problem
    Could the problem be solved by using turns not xp as the progress indicator
    I think this was actually already solved (in a different way, and as a by-product of other changes rather than as a problem I set out to solve) in the big github upload from a few days ago.

I've used golem boots occasionally. The -speed is certainly a big problem; but if you've either been unlucky with speed boots, or have more speed than you need anyway, they can be an option.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

Suggestion: If you kill boldor with a yeek you become king of the yeeks & gain summon kin

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

The description on the genocide scroll is that it eliminates all monsters of that type on the level (unless they resist)
        It failed to eliminate them all when I tried it on spawn of ubbo-sabbatha and when I tried it on some spiders (maybe undead or disintegration) (I assume that neither type resists)
        Resisting genocide is not a property of (non-unique) monster races or monster types; all monsters of any race and type have a level-dependent chance to resist (though it's zero for townspeople).

Comment

• Sideways
          Knight
          • Nov 2008

The juggernaut of Khorne guarding the anti-magic cave did not move towards my character who was attacking it with a crossbow
          Some of the entrance guardians are abusable on semi-purpose, in that bostock likes to get cheap XP off them and it's no skin off my nose to allow him to keep doing that.

Off-weapon brands and slays only applying to melee is intended behavior. Whether it's great behavior is another question, though I do have hard time visualizing how something like a helm-based vampiric brand would function in ranged combat

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
            Swordsman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sideways

Off-weapon brands and slays only applying to melee is intended behavior. Whether it's great behavior is another question, though I do have hard time visualizing how something like a helm-based vampiric brand would function in ranged combat
            Then maybe add Brands and Slays to say Rings of Archery? Ice, Fire, and Lightning arrows are well established in myth and fiction. This may require a new set of Brands, ranged only effects.

Maybe even an Arcane Archer class, all their spells require arrows.

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

It's the nature of quests (which tend to have lots of monsters in fairly small areas, and limited hiding places) that things are much more likely to go your way if most of those monsters are sleeping. The description to Eddies (which is probably an even worse offender than Volcano) even outright says as much.

I won't go so far as to call it inevitable; there are some quests where stealth isn't quite that important, like Doom Quest II with its many walls and discrete areas, or The Rise and Fall of Micro$oft; but both of those are very large quests. Of course, it would be possible to make more compact quests not stealth-heavy by tagging every monster with NO_SLEEP

Comment

• Gwarl
                Administrator
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
                Then maybe add Brands and Slays to say Rings of Archery? Ice, Fire, and Lightning arrows are well established in myth and fiction. This may require a new set of Brands, ranged only effects.

Maybe even an Arcane Archer class, all their spells require arrows.
                I would sooner have the brands appear as shooter egos than put them onto a different piece of equipment entirely, even a ring of archery.

Elemental brands don't appear on rings of combat, for instance.

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

I disagree
                  It is a choice to place a druj in a quest
                  What do drujs have to do with stealth, though? Underground City and Royal Crypt, the two quests with drujs, aren't unusually stealth-dependent.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                    Swordsman
                    • Feb 2009

Many quests seem to be far easier with stealth and/or distance attacks, is that intentional
                    In particular, the volcano quest looks impossible for an aggravating melee character without fire immunity
                    As a Ninja, using stealth/hide and a bow, I have easily completed the Tengu, Mimic, Dark Elven Lords quest chain starting it at approximately CL14. The Orc Camp/Tunnels are vastly easier with high stealth.
                    Just bring a forest worth of arrows...

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

And a long time ago, I ran a ToME2 archer character to ~cl35 doing nothing but quests (plus a red naga in the stream S of Bree, to get a good jump on EXP.) Managed to get as far as killing Eol (with a bit of luck.) I had to abuse the Warg's quest like crazy, though, to get enough junk from which to make ego and artifact bolts. (Stealth was not an issue.)
                      I am not convinced that this is a bad thing: archer types have traditionally been overpowered, and all classes have strengths and weaknesses.

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
                      As a Ninja, using stealth/hide and a bow, I have easily completed the Tengu, Mimic, Dark Elven Lords quest chain starting it at approximately CL14. The Orc Camp/Tunnels are vastly easier with high stealth.
                      Just bring a forest worth of arrows...

Comment

• Sideways
                        Knight
                        • Nov 2008

I think I discovered a bug
                        I killed a spider, and in the messages, after saying I killed it, it said that the spider jumped away, and I was left dazed
                        Are you sure it was the same spider? Jumping spiders always appear in groups, except in the Arena dungeon (and even there, of course, you can get spiders in adjoining rooms).

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

I think that in some encounters The Phoenix resurrects and in others it doesn't, is that correct
                          The Phoenix has a random chance to rise from its ashes, yes.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Heroic is pretty still pretty poor for to_hit. (And a lot of it will be from DEX and STR bonus.)

Comment

• murphy
                              Adept
                              • Sep 2009

I tried a politician and found it frustrating.

First the start seems too punitive, your melee is poor, your stealth is poor, you dont get any spell until level 6.

Second I got the class power grit and I could not figure out what it does, the description is not helpful, and you cant turn it on and off so you cant figure its effect from the stat sheet.

Maybe this class gets powerful later, but i lost interest before I could get that far :-(

Comment

• Sideways
                                Knight
                                • Nov 2008

Originally posted by murphy
                                I tried a politician and found it frustrating.

First the start seems too punitive, your melee is poor, your stealth is poor, you dont get any spell until level 6.

Second I got the class power grit and I could not figure out what it does, the description is not helpful, and you cant turn it on and off so you cant figure its effect from the stat sheet.

Maybe this class gets powerful later, but i lost interest before I could get that far :-(
                                Thanks for the feedback. I will give them a slightly better starting weapon, part of the problem is how bad that dagger is. A rapier start won't turn politicians into early-game killing machines, but at least they won't have to spend $$$ on a rapier before going into Thieves' Hideout (which I've started doing on my dagger starts).

Grit simply means that you use HP for spellcasting. Other modes are not accessible at the beginning of the game, but from level 10 you get to use AU, and from level 20 you can even use XP. AU casting is very handy in quests and other tight spots where you don't want to waste your hitpoints.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎