X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Unangband 0.6.5

In case anyone missed the news update, Unangband has a new maintainer, a new home page, and a new release.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • getter77
    Adept
    • Dec 2009

This is definitely Big News! Hopefully a rough Project Road Map and general gist of dev/release pace to come is coming soon as well----2017 needs all the good happenings it can get.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Thanks for the heads up.

I think Un has the most beautiful, interesting dungeons out of all the different roguelikes I've played. Good to see somebody taking great source material to spin out new adventures.
      You are on something strange

Comment

• boatie
        Rookie
        • Jan 2017

Can anybody give me newbie tips for Unangband? I mean, I know how to play Angband fairly well, but the overworld map and multiple dungeons has always scared me off, although I've always been intrigued

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

the overland map is pretty tough--some of the guardians are extremely dangerous at level, but you can play without it as a birth option.
          Edit: fixed bad autocomplete
          Last edited by Pete Mack; January 31, 2017, 20:12.

Comment

• DGoldDragon28
            Rookie
            • Nov 2013

Hello all,

I am the aforementioned new maintainer. I am glad to see that there are others still interested in the game. While I do not have a release schedule mapped out yet, when I do I shall immediately post it on the blog (https://dgolddragon28.github.io/Unangband/). Should anyone be interested in collaboration, they are welcome to contact me, either on these forums, via email, or by submitting a pull request, as specified in my first blog post.

Regards,
            -the pseudonymous Gold Dragon
            -Duncan Lowther, the formerly pseudonymous Gold Dragon,
            Maintainer of Unangband

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Comp time!!!!
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Had my 1st crash:

You wound the Dunlending agent of the Nazgul!
                You wound the Dunlending agent of the Nazgul!
                You have slain the Dunlending agent of Nazgul.
                -end-

& Unangband is no longer responding. Charged it in melee. Windows 7

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

In the early game, always keep mushrooms and bad potions for as long as possible. Use them to coat arrows, and your melee weapon only in the worst cases or if you have a huge stack. Archery is critical.
                  Note: Coatings of blindness and confusion are THE way to kill Wormtongue.

Bags of Holding exist for small objects.

Study the map. There are certain regions where it becomes impossible to return home (recall doesn't work well in wilderness zones, IIRC). When entering those areas, be sure to be fully stocked with consumables, because they all have difficult guardians, and sometimes more than one.

For example, Killing Adunaphel, aka 'the second rider', at cl 25 with no SI or !speed is very difficult. It is conceivably possible, though, if you
                  (a) arrive soon before dawn, so that she is pulled from her fortress.
                  (b) have a large stack of oil with which to start forest fires.

Note that she is not immune to fire and is vulnerable to bright light.
                  While I strongly recommend these practices, I don't actually recommend taking her on without SI and decent stacks of !speed and !CCW.

Originally posted by boatie
                  Can anybody give me newbie tips for Unangband? I mean, I know how to play Angband fairly well, but the overworld map and multiple dungeons has always scared me off, although I've always been intrigued

Comment

• DGoldDragon28
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2013

@wobbly: odd. Can you give more details about the crash?:
                    Maintainer of Unangband

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

Not sure what I can add. I was just melee-ing him & the game froze up when he died. Started another character & I've gotten past him just fine.

Comment

• DGoldDragon28
                        Rookie
                        • Nov 2013

In that case it is probably just a random crash, not a specific bug I can fix. If you run into further trouble, please contact me.
                        Maintainer of Unangband

Comment

• MITZE
                          Swordsman
                          • Jan 2017

Bug

My 'Magic Bag of Helpful Mushrooms {40% off}' just caused my sizable stack of mushrooms of cure paranoia to vanish. My stack of mushrooms of mana, too. They're not in the bag, not in my inventory, and not in my home.

I dunno what happened. I bought the bag from the mill, and the former stack disappeared, and then I put the bag in my home, and then the latter stack disappeared. I've saved and reloaded, and both are still nowhere to be found.

After reloading, I tried buying some appropriate mushrooms from the store and they went into the bag just fine.

(Unrelated, but shouldn't mushrooms of haste be considered helpful mushrooms, too?)

EDIT: Suicided the character and noticed some weirdness while examining my items. Possibly related?

Last edited by MITZE; March 2, 2017, 08:56. Reason: Provided more info.
                          Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• MITZE
                            Swordsman
                            • Jan 2017

Bug

Autoinscriptions don't work when buying items from the store.
                            Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• DGoldDragon28
                              Rookie
                              • Nov 2013

The magic bag issue is a known bug, and I am trying like the devil to fix it. Auto-inscriptions issue is lower priority, but I will look into it.
                              Maintainer of Unangband

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍