X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arjen
    Adept
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tulip
    Have you considered an undead dragon subrace? Like a dracolich or some sort of undead wurm?
    baby skeleton dragon (new) -> bone dragon -> dracolich

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Arjen
      How about one for Dracolisks too?

Baby Basilisk (new) -> Basilisk -> Greater Basilisk -> Dracolisk
      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Fnord
        Apprentice
        • May 2014

I doubt this is gonna be down your alley given what I read, but it feels worth a try:

Create a shop/add an option to a shop to trade stat potions for *healing*. Heck, let me trade aritfacts for them.

My current char is still that half titan warrior. Currently I'm feeling I'm pretty much ready for the end game or at very least starting to dive there (currently on 81 in Angband). Double or more base resists, everything else covered once at least (except time and light), most things double or more. Sustain all, reflect, anti-magic, 27 speed unhasted. 630 (750 evil, more for undead and humans) per turn, vampiric.

Problem? Well, I want to kill more deeper uniques before going there. So I try myself on what I encounter. Most things are trivial, but then, some things just need healing. And so, I've depleted my stack of *healing* (that never got above 10 at any point). But without that, attempting pretty much anything I don't know feels suicidal.

So, what are my options?
        I can't use staffs or rods of healing - fail rate's ridiculous and would seem impossible to get into acceptable terrain.
        I have normal healing potions, but they're not really cutting it - if I need to heal with this guy, 300 are not really relevant at this stage.
        Farm for *healing*? That means running around rather deep to get a decent chance of them to drop, and farming there (while running from anything that could be a danger) is extremely slow, given their rarity. I find many times more artifacts (most of them useless, of course) than I find of those potions.
        I've tried the potion gambling option, but after >100 attempts, I didn't get a single *heal*.

I don't really see what I could do to get a decent stack of *healing*. Which is frustrating! And while it's possible that I might miss some little bit of res this or that that I'm not aware I'd absolutely need, that's the only thing keeping me from going for the end game!

So, there's my plea - make this super essential thing available in some form of trade. It can be expensive, it can be limited in some form, but it's simply essential to have (for a warrior, at least) and impossible to acquire in a sane way.

Comment

• Thraalbee
          Knight
          • Sep 2010

would you buy if the price was a permanent 20 hp loss?
          it'd have to hurt a lot or break the game in my opinion

Comment

• Tulip
            Scout
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Arjen
            Purely for flavour purposes, I think a dracolich would develop without a juvenile form (baby skeleton dragon).

So something more like:

malformed remains(new) -> bone dragon -> dracolich

Showing a progression from a dishevelled mass of bone to a noble lich.

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

I think: Rockets.
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Tulip
                Scout
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by debo
                I think: Rockets.
                Rocket Liches. Turbolich.

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Tulip
                  Rocket Liches. Turbolich.
                  I still want a Death Rocket Launcher monster subrace. I would play the shit out of that.
                  Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• chris
                    PosChengband Maintainer
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fnord
                    Create a shop/add an option to a shop to trade stat potions for *healing*. Heck, let me trade aritfacts for them.
                    This will break the game, I fear. Actually, if you compare the *Healing* frequencies in Poscheng to Hengband, you will see they are already far too generous. You probably get twice as many as before.

My current char is still that half titan warrior. Currently I'm feeling I'm pretty much ready for the end game or at very least starting to dive there (currently on 81 in Angband). Double or more base resists, everything else covered once at least (except time and light), most things double or more. Sustain all, reflect, anti-magic, 27 speed unhasted. 630 (750 evil, more for undead and humans) per turn, vampiric.
                    You don't need vamp for the final battle, and that damage should be higher for a warrior. Also, checking your dump, your AC is way too low for melee.

And so, I've depleted my stack of *healing* (that never got above 10 at any point). But without that, attempting pretty much anything I don't know feels suicidal.
                    How many have you used all game? Personally, I tend to not use *healing* except for emergencies, saving them up for the final battle.

I can't use staffs or rods of healing - fail rate's ridiculous and would seem impossible to get into acceptable terrain.
                    Device skills are the warriors main weakness to overcome. You can address this with birth options (race and personality choice) or by finding gear that boosts intelligence and, more importantly, device skill. Wizard gloves and amulets of the magi should be considered, preferably the latter. You'll need enough device skill to use a staff of healing, but you'll probably never manage rods. A 10% fail would be good enough.

I have normal healing potions, but they're not really cutting it - if I need to heal with this guy, 300 are not really relevant at this stage.
                    You might be waiting too long to heal. With 1300hp, I'd be healing at 900 or so. If you are taking more than 300hp per round damage, then you are outclassed and should probably consider abandoning the fight.

I don't really see what I could do to get a decent stack of *healing*. Which is frustrating! And while it's possible that I might miss some little bit of res this or that that I'm not aware I'd absolutely need, that's the only thing keeping me from going for the end game!
                    I typically get at least 25 !*Healing* in every game and as much as I want if I luck into the Jewel of Judgement. This should be plenty. But if you've used them all already, then you will have to wait for more. They are much more common then they used to be and many monsters will drop them as well, so it should not take too long. I'd want at least 20 for the final fight (and you can count Life towards this total as well) although you can get by with less if you bring a huge stash of regular healing (teleport when low on hp and quaff them out of line of sight).

Comment

• krazyhades
                      Swordsman
                      • Jun 2013

This game is so frustrating...

I've been wanting to play a magic-based class for some time, and I really like the flavor of a summoner. I just whipped up a fearless trump high mage scion of Aphrodite. The only spell available at level one was Phase Door, so I learned it, hoping to grab Trump Spiders at level 2. I scum the first room of Camelot until I reach level 2, since weak starters seem basically forced into doing that, at which point I find out that I do not have a spell slot for my first summoning spell. Clearly I should have not learned any spell at level 1, which is both unintuitive and unfun. Well, no matter, I keep scumming the top level of Camelot for lvl 3, at which point I have that spell slot for Trump Spiders.

Well, let's give it a go, shall we? After all, I've stacked this character's ability to control pets, what with fearless and Aphrodite, plus a good charisma score. First cast summons 4 hostile wood spiders, and I die.

I'm definitely going to give this build another try, but this initial abortive run was disheartening, especially because I've got no real idea what the chances are that a summoned monster will be hostile. I thought I'd done everything in my power to counteract this. Blech.

Comment

• clouded
                        Swordsman
                        • Jun 2012

I believe the chance of hostile summons is the failure rate of the spell (that is, when you fail to cast you get something hostile). Anyway, playing a summons based character that isn't a Qulthuylg or Ring is generally kind of miserable, the spells are all super expensive and you don't get much XP. If you really want to play a normal character with summons I would suggest something like rogue or beastmaster, then you can at least melee.

My 'pro tip' for summoners is that: really you shouldn't be summoning many things yourself, what you want to do is have a few strong named allies that summon for you, this way you save a lot of SP which means the huge storms of pets will drain your reserves much slower.

Comment

• krazyhades
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2013

Good to know about hostile summons come from failing a summoning spell. I guess the misleading game text about Aphrodite's spawn being better at controlling pets must only refer to kiss/dominate/ride abilities. Same for forum content I'd read about Fearless and the charisma stat both helping to control pets. If a summon succeeds, can that monster ever cease to be a pet (without the player attacking it)?

Yeah, I remember that SP-saving trick from the Ring competition. But the Trump realm doesn't give access to summoned summoners in the first book, so there's no realistic chance of that getting online until much later. Plus, IIRC, Rings mostly did it by riding a summoner, but of course the high mage doesn't have that option.

I was really hoping to run a pure summoner for flavor reasons. I've played with the idea of running a Beastmaster, but I was thrown off by their listed inability to summon nonliving things, mostly because I was curious and wanted a character with the widest possible range of summons. Maybe I'll run a Q next, but I don't like that they lose access to previous summons as they change forms...I wanted ultimately to build towards a lategame character that can summon just about anything (not that Trump can really do that, either).

As you point out (and as I've taken issue with on the necromancer in the past), the XP penalty for summons/mounts getting kills really hurts, even though it's better than the 0% xp from Hengband. It seems to just make an already annoyingly-keypress-intensive range of characters even slower to play. IIRC, the best way to gain XP as a summoner is a trick that you (clouded) used in the comp...control some summoners of your own, get them into a fight with enemy summoners, and then essentially press your face against the spacebar until you've leveled up a few times.

I guess I really just need to find a variant that has put special attention into making summoners fun to play. I find Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup summoners can be fun in the early/mid game but they, like all DCSS casters, end up swapping over to direct damage spells and using summons as damage sinks. Plus DCSS summons also steal xp, which is no fun.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

ToME has summoning too. In that variant, there is no EXP penalty (unless I'm wrong) for letting pets kill monsters. In some cases, I've had Loremasters move up from clvl 30-something to 50 in a few hours because of this. Again, that's summoning in ToME. Of course, PosChengband is much more "balanced" and restricting with pets killing monsters vs. EXP gain thanks to chris.
                            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
                              PosChengband Maintainer
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by krazyhades
                              I was really hoping to run a pure summoner for flavor reasons.
                              Pure summoning was removed from Hengband probably because it is a broken mechanic. Remember, there you get 0xp and no drops for your summons. I've relaxed this a bit by allowing drops and some xp, but it is a tentative change. Summoning should be used as support for something else. As for High Mages, there are many realm choices that are not "smart" choices, Trump and Arcane probably being the worst. Some players still enjoy these as challenge builds, though. For Trump, try starting out with some archery. You can also use your starting wand of magic missile to gain the early levels pretty quickly (Hint: DL1 of Camelot is the worst way to do this).

Of course, there is one summoner build that breaks the rules: The Quylthulg (who starts with -10 speed). If you want pure summoning, then this is the only option.

Comment

• chris
                                PosChengband Maintainer
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by clouded
                                My 'pro tip' for summoners is that: really you shouldn't be summoning many things yourself, what you want to do is have a few strong named allies that summon for you, this way you save a lot of SP which means the huge storms of pets will drain your reserves much slower.
                                That's good general advice, but a High Mage can eat magic so essentially they can both summon an army of pets and keep them around forever. Upkeep is not a late game issue.

For effective summoning though, the best spell is Summon Angel and it's not even a Trump spell.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎