X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • camlost
    Sangband 1.x Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mikko Lehtinen
    I now tried the curses version, and it also crashes (hangs) after naming the character.
    Ok, I think I've finally nailed this one. history_list was not being NULL'd in history_clear(), but it was being free()'d.

This should be fixed in r136.
    a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
    3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• hitchi
      Rookie
      • Oct 2010

Segfault

Hi, nice to see sangband isn't over.I compiled the sdl version(from svn) on linux and it segfaults, don't know why, angband is working fine... but i need sang!

Comment

• Bostock
        Swordsman
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by camlost
        Not terribly important now that you don't get exp from casting spells
        That aspect occurred to me too - I for one would for this reason also consider it at least a semi-solution to remove the indicator... I suppose it's nice as a reminder if you don't obsessive check for new spells like me, but it's also more information competing for attention.
        So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• NotMorgoth
          Adept
          • Feb 2008

If you're still looking for ideas & suggestions, there are two things in Sangband that I find really annoying and make me want to stop playing:

Hagging in shops, and curses on items that can't be detected even by *identify*.

Now, I can understand the design decisions behind the second one, even if I don't agree with them, but it seems like haggling just adds annoyance and wastes time without actually adding anything interesting to the game.

With regards to curses in general, maybe it's time they were overhauled to include something other than just the standard light/heavy 'sticky' curse; FA seems to have some good ideas.

This could in turn make the necromancer spell 'Thaumacurse' more interesting and useable, and maybe even open up the possibility of other spells or talents that draw power from cursed equipment.

Comment

• Bostock
            Swordsman
            • Aug 2007

Haggling in shops can be turned off. However, I agree that it should be turned off by default. I also seem to recall a small amount of sell-haggling occurring anyway, but I may be wrong, and no-sell is default now, so whatever.

Speaking of defaults, maybe discount stacking should be default, since with no-sell it's a no-brainer?
            So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• ekolis
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Regarding the infravision issue, it eventually went away, but only after I cast Sense Blood to see if it would jump to 12-square infravision (it didn't, remained at 7), and that spell expired... Does the potion just grant infravision for a very long duration?
              You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
              You are surrounded by a stasis field!
              The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by NotMorgoth
                If you're still looking for ideas & suggestions, there are two things in Sangband that I find really annoying and make me want to stop playing:

Hagging in shops, and curses on items that can't be detected even by *identify*.

Now, I can understand the design decisions behind the second one, even if I don't agree with them, but it seems like haggling just adds annoyance and wastes time without actually adding anything interesting to the game.

With regards to curses in general, maybe it's time they were overhauled to include something other than just the standard light/heavy 'sticky' curse; FA seems to have some good ideas.
                I'd also be interested in more varied curses, but I do like to speak up in defence of haggling every now and then. I think S gets the haggling just about right: it's not too onerous, and it really gives satisfaction when you get it right (e.g. not having to haggle for the same item once you've achieved the best price) and longer-term benefits (improving your relationship with the shopkeeper and resulting in them getting better stuff. Lots of variants (and V) have dropped haggling because it didn't add much - in S I think a lot of careful thought went into it, so I think it should be kept.
                "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• camlost
                  Sangband 1.x Maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Haggling isn't required; there's an option to turn it off. I don't play with it, but it's Leon's baby.

Hidden curses are ... hidden. Maybe *ID* should reveal them.

Hi, nice to see sangband isn't over.I compiled the sdl version(from svn) on linux and it segfaults, don't know why, angband is working fine... but i need sang!
                  Hmmm... I'm compiling it just fine on linux without segfault for me. When does it segfault? Are you using Makefile.sdl?

Speaking of defaults, maybe discount stacking should be default, since with no-sell it's a no-brainer?
                  Since no-sell is a birth option, I was just going to stack discounts whenever that option was set also. Just haven't gotten around to it. Issue now written up.

Regarding the infravision issue, it eventually went away, but only after I cast Sense Blood to see if it would jump to 12-square infravision (it didn't, remained at 7), and that spell expired... Does the potion just grant infravision for a very long duration?
                  350-500 turns the first time you quaff.

Hidden curses got some boost recently (svn only). I definately plan on making more interesting curses at some point. I'll look at FA sometime in the future.
                  a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
                  3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by camlost
                    Originally posted by NotMorgoth
                    Hidden curses got some boost recently (svn only). I definately plan on making more interesting curses at some point. I'll look at FA sometime in the future.
                    Vanilla is also changing curses. There is a lot of talk about that in recent threads. Sticky should go away (or just remain as one possibility), and curses would be more of double-edged swords that haunt the very powerful things. There should also be "semi-sticky" curses, like unable to drop item, but able to take it off. The One Ring should have permanent version of that. You can take it off but you are never ever willing to leave it behind. Permanently lost one inventory slot or equipment slot.

That kind of curse is actually worse than ordinary sticky curse. If you pick it up you are screwed right there, but not completely. First few are no issue, but once they start to pile up you have major problems.

Comment

• hitchi
                      Rookie
                      • Oct 2010

Segfault

Hmmm... I'm compiling it just fine on linux without segfault for me. When does it segfault? Are you using Makefile.sdl?
                      camlost, yes i'm using "make -fMakefile.sdl install".It segfaults right after "./sangband".Also the curses version dies silently after flashing the splash screen.
                      Possibly there's something wrong on my end, but not seeing any issues with other programs on my system it's hard to isolate the problem.I have allready rebuild all the SDL packages and ncurses.Thank you for the attention.

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by hitchi
                        camlost, yes i'm using "make -fMakefile.sdl install".It segfaults right after "./sangband".Also the curses version dies silently after flashing the splash screen.
                        Possibly there's something wrong on my end, but not seeing any issues with other programs on my system it's hard to isolate the problem.I have allready rebuild all the SDL packages and ncurses.Thank you for the attention.
                        Are you using Gentoo? If not you should install your distro's official SDL packages rather than build your own. Can you cite another SDL app that is working perfectly?
                        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• hitchi
                          Rookie
                          • Oct 2010

I'm using Lunar-Linux(also source based).Scummvm, dosbox, widelands, all working.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                            Veteran
                            • Sep 2010

Hello,

I've been playing for a while now, no new bugs to report, and the biggest old ones are fixed.

My character is a no-oath elf with the following skills: Spellcasting, Mana, Nature Lore, Bow, Karate, Dodging, and Spell Resistance. Some observations on gameplay:

- I agonized over whether to take Stealth or Dodging. Dodging was a right choice, as it has already saved my life many times. Dodging is much more fun now, as I don't have to collect loot to sell. I think the power level is just right. I optimized my skills so that I wouldn't need a heavy kit. Nature Magic comboes well with Dodging, as you don't have to carry food or shovel.

- Bill Ferny dropped Leather Gloves of Slaying (+6, +4). I have no idea whether these boost my karate?

- I stopped taking quests for a while, because they slow me down, lower my score, and force me to spend time on boring, shallow levels. The game shouldn't reward slow descending. Maybe quests should have a minimum dungeon level based on player power?

- I like the wise Elves. Elf Druids are fun. I think my elven clerics will be archers, too. I guess clerics get the normal penalties for archery, 1/6 for no-oath casters and 1/3 for oathed casters?

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                              Veteran
                              • Sep 2010

Okay, digging the source.

- Bill Ferny dropped Leather Gloves of Slaying (+6, +4). I have no idea whether these boost my karate?
                              Seems that both skill and deadliness apply to martial arts. I was confused because my Melee skill on character screen didn't change when I put on the gloves.

- I like the wise Elves. Elf Druids are fun. I think my elven clerics will be archers, too. I guess clerics get the normal penalties for archery, 1/6 for no-oath casters and 1/3 for oathed casters?
                              Spellcasters don't seem to get skill reduction in ranged combat, but oathed spellcasters eventually get less shots per round and less might increases. Oathed spellcasters also get less bonuses to throwing.

So, just putting points in spellcasting reduces all melee skills, but it doesn't reduce ranged combat ability. Good to know.

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
                                Veteran
                                • Sep 2010

I've been playing elves almost exclusively. I like them a lot, but there's one thing that is bugging me: at the moment karate is so cheap that it is an obvious choice.

For clerics karate is even more obvious. I feel that elf clerics have an unfair edge (lesser penalties to karate) when compared to druids. Elf rangers should be boosted a bit by giving them a cheaper access to swordmanship.

I suggest that all melee weapon skills are improved by one, to sword 10, polearm 11, clubbing 12.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎