X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fendell Orcbane
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Nick
    Genocide, mass genocide and destruction do not affect vaults, so that would be what happened.
    Oh I know, but this vault just looked like a wilderness room with a lot of loot. Rooms like this could kill characters. I just got my butt outta there when I realized that the hounds weren't affected. Then I tried again when I was safe and they were still there. But then I thought...oh this is a vault!

Comment

• LostTemplar
      Knight
      • Aug 2009

Any room with a lot of loot is a vault.

Comment

• Arralen
        Swordsman
        • May 2007

Just found an old dwarven paladin on my USB stick ... tried to import him into 1.15 from 0.23 - game says it does it but look for yourself:

Code:
          [FAangband 1.1.5 Character Dump]

Name    : Shorty I        Age                    36 STR      18/30
         Sex     : Male            Height                119 INT         10
         Race    : Dwarf           Weight                 62 WIS         15
         Class   : Paladin         Social Class           70 DEX         15
                                                             CON      18/30
                                                             CHR         16

Max Hit Points      337   Level                29   Max SP (Mana)        15
         Cur Hit Points      308   Experience       110097   Cur SP (Mana)        10
                                   Max Exp          110097
                (Fighting)         Exp to Adv.      111000          (Shooting)
         Blows/Round           2   Gold              35982   Shots/Round         1.0
         + to Skill            8   Score                 0   + to Skill           -2
         Deadliness (%)       99   Base AC/+ To AC  35/ 55   Deadliness (%)       57
                                   Game Turn       1667821

Fighting   :Very Good(79) Stealth    :Very Bad(0)   Disarming  :Fair(35)
         Bows/Throw :Poor(28)      Perception :Poor(13)      MagicDevice:Fair(36)
         SavingThrow:Excellent(68) Searching  :Poor(14)      Infravision:15 meters

(Character Background)
                  You are the only child of a Dwarven Warrior.  You are a
                  well liked child.  You have dark brown eyes, straight black
                  hair, a three foot beard, and a dark complexion.

[Recent locations]

Current Location : Nargothrond Level 32
         Previous Location: Nargothrond Level 31
         Recall Point 1   : Amon Rudh Level 25
         Recall Point 2   : Nargothrond Level 31
         Recall Point 3   : Ephel Brandir Level 0
         Recall Point 4   : Ossiriand Level 0

[Resistances, Powers and Bonuses]

abcdefghijkl@            abcdefghijkl@
         [COLOR="Magenta"]Acid:*.**********. 100% Confu:*.**********. 100%
         Elec:*.**********. 100% Sound:*.**********. 100%
         Fire:*.**********. 100% Shard:*.**********. 100%
         Cold:*.**********. 100% Nexus:*.**********. 100%
         Pois:*.**********. 100% Nethr:*.**********. 100%
         Lite:*.**********. 100% Chaos:*.**********. 100%
         Dark:*.**********. 100% Disen:*.**********. 100%[/COLOR]

abcdefghijkl@            abcdefghijkl@
        S.Dig:.............      M-Mas:.............
        Feath:.............      Stea.:.............
        PLite:.............      Sear.:.............
        Regen:.............      Infra:.............
        Telep:.............      Tunn.:.............
        Invis:.............      Speed:.............
        FrAct:.............      Shots:.............
        HLife:.............      Might:.............
        Blind:............+
        NFear:.............

[Stat Breakdown]

Stat Intrnl Rce Cls Oth Actual Currnt     abcdefghijkl
        Str:     17   2   2   0  18/30            ............
        Int:     12   1  -3   0     10            ............
        Wis:     16  -2   1   0     15            ............
        Dex:     14   1   0   0     15            ............
        Con:     18   2   1   0  18/30            ............
        Chr:     15  -1   2   0     16            ............

[Character Equipment]

a) a Flail (Holy Avenger) (2d6) (+10,+14) [+1]
        b) a Light Crossbow (x3) (?,?) {good}
        c) a Ring
        d) a Ring (+11)
        e) an Amulet
        f) The Lamp of Gwindor
        g) Partial Plate Armour (Dwarven) (-3) [27,+16]
        h) The Cloak 'Colannon' [1,+15]
        i) a Wicker Shield (Coated) [2,+5]
        j) a Hard Leather Cap of Wisdom [2,+4]
        k) The Set of Leather Gloves 'Cammithrim' [1,+10]
        l) a Pair of Soft Leather Boots [2,+3]

[Quiver]
        n) 2 Daggers (Holy Avenger) (1d4) (+14,+16) [+4]
        o) 3 Daggers (Blessed) (1d4) (+5,+6)
        I'm pondering to keep him, if only for *** and giggles
        No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
        Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Quote from me on release of 1.0:

I've just realised, I really should have mentioned this:

Don't upgrade with an existing live character.

Object properties get scrambled (mostly just deleted) in the upgrade process. If you want to retain your monster memory, the best way is to upgrade with a dead character.
          But, by all means, continue...
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Mondkalb
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

I have tried to import an old character also, with similar results.
            The game pretends to do it, no errors reported. But all the rings and amulets are warped.
            Probably there were too many changes in game mechanics.
            My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Yes, true. For 1.2 I'm actually going to only import dead characters - or they'll die in the importation process, anyway...

Comment

• Arralen
                Swordsman
                • May 2007

Gondolin weaponsmith and temple are selling (-3,-3) standard weapons
                Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
                  Gondolin weaponsmith and temple are selling (-3,-3) standard weapons
                  They'll sell anything with a positive price - so this just means that the negatives don't amount to making the item worthless.

Comment

• Arralen
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2007

They'll sell anything with a positive price - so this just means that the negatives don't amount to making the item worthless.
                    Then prices might be a bit off - Two-Handed Sword (3d6) (-1,-5) for sale for 701 gold? Or does the game look at the price after the price adjustments for race/class are made? (Druadan vs. High-Elf)
                    In all other RLs (including old versions of FAA) such weapons are discarded as "useless". Oh, btw., if I sell a "dubious" weapon with negative modifiers, the shopowners always howl in agony.
                    Obviously, in that case their opinion 'bout the usefulness is different
                    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

The shopkeepers are upset any time they buy an item for more than it's worth. Some potions are worth less than the default potion price (e.g. potions of Boldness), and if you sell one to them un-ID'd they'll be similarly peeved. Likewise any time they buy something for less than it's worth they'll be ecstatic.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Then prices might be a bit off - Two-Handed Sword (3d6) (-1,-5) for sale for 701 gold? Or does the game look at the price after the price adjustments for race/class are made? (Druadan vs. High-Elf)
                        In all other RLs (including old versions of FAA) such weapons are discarded as "useless".
                        This is all a consequence of the big object changes that happened in 1.0, including the big change to how curses worked. There is definitely some price rebalancing needed. I may even do it before too long. Although it's possible I may ditch shops altogether...

Oh, btw., if I sell a "dubious" weapon with negative modifiers, the shopowners always howl in agony.
                        Yeah, that's because I haven't dealt with the way they buy these things properly.

Comment

• Arralen
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2007

.. still playing 1.16 ...

... and I'm not going to change that before all my chars have become winners, or died trying.
                          So tomorrow I might switch ...

However, here some remarks I have to make ... :

1) Just got the best chest ever
                          Ain't that a bit much? Or is the char just as dead as one finding a =Speed +6 on the 3rd level?

2) I'm still getting 8x the number of (useful) weapons than armours
                          The above mentioned "excellent" (or something like that - the level name was red) level resulted in 2x "of freezing", 1x "burning", 1x "of poisoning", 1x "of slay evil" and 3 (+x,+y) weapons.
                          And one "Small Metal Shield [5,+3]".
                          And while this is an extreme example, it's basically the same during the whole game up to level ~35 ...

3) Druids are boring
                          Low level they trade weapon, shield for "stunning fists" which do not work on all monsters where it would be useful
                          Mid level they're elemental spellcasters ... with too low damage output to kill same-level monster without using up all their mana
                          Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

... and I'm not going to change that before all my chars have become winners, or died trying.
                            So tomorrow I might switch ...
                            I would actually recommend not - 1.2.0 is really not playable. I'm hoping to get a bugfixed version out some time in the next couple of weeks.

1) Just got the best chest ever
                            Ain't that a bit much? Or is the char just as dead as one finding a =Speed +6 on the 3rd level?
                            Just lucky, I think - there hasn't been any code change to cause that.

2) I'm still getting 8x the number of (useful) weapons than armours
                            The above mentioned "excellent" (or something like that - the level name was red) level resulted in 2x "of freezing", 1x "burning", 1x "of poisoning", 1x "of slay evil" and 3 (+x,+y) weapons.
                            And one "Small Metal Shield [5,+3]".
                            And while this is an extreme example, it's basically the same during the whole game up to level ~35 ...
                            OK - I guess that's a result of the fact that there are more weapon types than armour types. That is something to examine.

3) Druids are boring
                            Low level they trade weapon, shield for "stunning fists" which do not work on all monsters where it would be useful
                            Mid level they're elemental spellcasters ... with too low damage output to kill same-level monster without using up all their mana
                            Fair comment. I did redo their spells a while ago, but they clearly need more attention.

Comment

• Arralen
                              Swordsman
                              • May 2007

3) Druids are boring
                              Fair comment. I did redo their spells a while ago, but they clearly need more attention.
                              For me, an interesting druid is a druid that is different from the standard fireball-tossing, Glamdring-waving mage (although that one didn't toss fireballs either ).
                              Different might mean - in contrast to all other classes in FA, be the class that fights willingly, and fights best, in the wilderness. Have little trouble when surrounded by a pack of hounds somewhere out there. Have a real dislike for being squeezed into some dark dungeon corridor.

So it's not only the spells (some of which I really like, while others seem so-'n-so), the druids somewhat lack an overall theme or something. Maybe make them adhere to their description some more ...:

Code:
                              Druid:
                              At one with nature.  He possesses a wide and varied range of healing,
                              He doesn't: "Combat Poison", "Heal Poison", "Natural Vitality"(which sucks) ... and that's it. No self-healing, or regen-boosting spell in the first 4 books.
                              Btw., healing spells are a "practical oxymoron", anyway: When you need them, it's because you have run out of mana and had to melee some nasties ... . Maybe give them spells to create potions?

Code:
                              dungeon alteration, and knowledge spells,
                              "Earthquake", "Detect Life" ... that's it in the 4 standard books

Code:
                               plus a large number of spells to hinder and reduce foes.
                              ... "large number" is an exaggeration, hmmm ... but the spells IMHO suck anyway: spell failure rate, monster save and duration make them mostly useless.

Code:
                              Can fight well bare-handed and acceptably with slings, but not with other missile weapons or any melee weapon.
                              Oh - that's why my Lvl 30 Druadan Druid fights (if he isn't tossing fireballs around...) with a frost-branded randart rapier (1d12 +22,+11 /4 blows a 40 vs. animal/non cold resist, +26skill, 107% deadliness) down there in Nargothrond 36+ . Barehanded he only gets 3 blows with 19 damage, +4 skill.

Clearly at what is barely midgame, even mediocre randarts have the potential to totally nullify any class/race characteristics ... although this is more a problem of overall balance and game design, then druid-specific.

Btw., I think he only got that far because I found this very early on:
                              Code:
                              Ring of Combat (+14) <+2>
                              Adds 14 to your deadliness. Gives 2 to your wisdom. Renders you fearless.
                              Do all druids get that?

Now, to do something more constructive, here are some suggestions:

- remove all elemental bolt spells
                              + give them temporary brand spells which work on barehanded combat and slingshots
                              + give him more self-centered spells, like "Nature's Vengeance" ... you might reuse some of the effects I've seen on the jewelry (which I never get to use, btw., because I always have to wear another one for resistances ...)
                              + most of all, give the druid access to poison !!!

- remove blink/teleport/indentify
                              + make slow/stun/confuse etc. wortwhile (they're mostly useless in all *bands, dunno why)
                              + make confused monsters hit each other (or do they already? Or was that Un, or Tome3? I think it was T3 ... funny way of crowd control, btw. )

* rebalance "Nature's Vengeance": atm., it's rather suicide to try to use that spell, as you have to take a bunch of hits to get the monsters around you .. and then you don't do real damage to them. Maybe add paralysation?

+ give druids 5 blows/turn when fighting barehand, regardless of stats. Barehanded damage is puny enough!

- make slings suck less, at least for druids (the temporary brand thingy mentioned above might help here already, though)
                              + make druids able to fight with (quarter-/druids-)staffs and maybe knives (weapons lighter than 3.5?) as well as barehanded.

They lose brands and resists and a whole lot of other things by fighting without weapon and shield; give them
                              + intrinsic resists instead ?
                              + give them familiars (you're working on pets, aren't you)?
                              + give them spells to temporarly "convert" or summon natural monsters?

That's it for now, it's getting too long already ...
                              Have a nice weekend ;-)
                              Last edited by Arralen; June 1, 2011, 15:14.
                              Never. Ever.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Different might mean - in contrast to all other classes in FA, be the class that fights willingly, and fights best, in the wilderness. Have little trouble when surrounded by a pack of hounds somewhere out there. Have a real dislike for being squeezed into some dark dungeon corridor.
                                I like this idea. A lot.

After some discussion with my Creative Consultant, the following ideas emerged (some of which are similar to yours):
                                1. More nature-related spells;
                                2. Maybe find Stones of Lore only in wilderness (with necessary adjustments in level);
                                3. Make contact with grass/trees almost necessary for druids, which would require
                                4. Increased ability to grow grass/trees;
                                5. Serious nerf of weapon-fighting ability;
                                6. An ability to draw power from weapons, which is then turned into (temporary) barehanded fighting power. This would destroy non-artifact weapons, and degrade artifacts.

+ give them familiars (you're working on pets, aren't you)?
                                + give them spells to temporarly "convert" or summon natural monsters?
                                I'm not actually planning pets, but shapechange and posession - but familiars and summoning/charming of animals is a nice idea, and would need the same sort of AI changes.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd never been very successful with druids, but thought it was just me...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎