Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidMedley
    Veteran
    • Oct 2019

OK, I'll play along. How is the order in class.txt chosen? I'm looking for an answer that gets down to the ones and zeroes of the individual transistors, please.
    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by DavidMedley
      OK, I'll play along. How is the order in class.txt chosen? I'm looking for an answer that gets down to the ones and zeroes of the individual transistors, please.
      There is no deeper answer. It's the order I happened to put them in in class.txt when I introduced the new classes. Presumably I had some reason for that order at the time. When the game starts they're read in by the datafile parser, and then spat out onto the birth screen in the same order.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• DavidMedley
        Veteran
        • Oct 2019

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. Let me propose a different order, based roughly on class complexity.

Non-Casters
        - Warrior
        Half-Casters
        - Ranger
        - Paladin
        - Rogue
        - Blackguard
        Full Casters
        - Druid
        - Priest
        - Mage
        - Necromancer

This is not too different from the current order except that currently it goes Warrior, Full, Half. In this version I kept the type of magic order the same: Nature, Holy, Arcane, Shadow. My main priority is thinking of a new player who tries the classes in order, probably skipping a few along the way.

Another way that gives precedence to the old school classes would be to organize by magic school alphabetically:

- Warrior
        Arcane
        - Rogue
        - Mage
        Holy
        - Paladin
        - Priest
        Nature
        - Ranger
        - Druid
        Shadow
        - Blackguard
        - Necromancer

But I like this less because of the new player scenario I posited above.
        Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Yeah, nothing wrong with that. Let me propose a different order, based roughly on class complexity.
          So we could do this, and it doesn't break savefiles (the class name is stored). I'm inclined to not change things like this unless there's a strong reason, though.

What do others think?

Comment

• Sphara
            Knight
            • Oct 2016

I cannot see any reasons to oppose this. It won't affect me ofc, but if it helps new players, why not?

Comment

• bughunter
              Adept
              • Nov 2019

Originally posted by Nick
              What do others think?
              If it doesn't have even the most remote possibility of breaking something else, then go for it.

Otherwise, don't fiddle with it.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                Veteran
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Nick
                When does it not work? I know there are difficulties if you also have ammo inscribed with @f0, but are there other cases?
                I still haven't figured out when it works and when it doesn't. But sometimes, seemingly most times, when I have a thrown weapon in my quiver I can't fill the "w" slot of my inventory. When the w slot is filled with 35 or fewer missiles I can't pick up a thrown weapon. I've tried inscribing @v0 and @v1 and it seems to work -- I see it listed in my quiver -- but I don't get the inventory space benefit consistently.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

I still haven't figured out when it works and when it doesn't. But sometimes, seemingly most times, when I have a thrown weapon in my quiver I can't fill the "w" slot of my inventory. When the w slot is filled with 35 or fewer missiles I can't pick up a thrown weapon. I've tried inscribing @v0 and @v1 and it seems to work -- I see it listed in my quiver -- but I don't get the inventory space benefit consistently.
                  OK, looks like there's something wrong with the counting.

Comment

• Gwarl
                    Administrator
                    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sphara
                    Awesome.

Are there any other ways of reaching Gwarl than waiting him to appear in angband.live chat?

I've sent a personal message weeks ago. He finally addressed me in angband.live that he has sent my bug report further regarding to my vanilla save file. He just never removed the save file. He even apologized me for having a long absence. I have specifically stated that a save file of 'SPHARAGAIN' in angband.live is corrupted. But it is still there. I'm forced to play 4.2.1. Not a bad thing as such, but I want to be a part of new development. As far as playtesting goes.

So, unless there is not a string of misunderstandings, just remove spharagain vanilla nightly save file. And if there is another person who can do this, please inform me.

Loving f'***ing everyone, Sphara
                    Sorry it's gone now.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2009

I don't really care one way or another, but I do find you are making an implied assumption that is really a matter of opinion. You propose that "half-casters" are less "complex" than full-casters, therefore place them first after warrior. However, that is entirely based on a point of view. From another point of view a "full-caster" is less complex than a "half-caster", one class being simpler than a hybrid of two classes.
                      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• mrfy
                        Swordsman
                        • Jul 2015

To me, it makes more sense to have it in the order of Warrior, full casters followed by their half casters.

Warrior

Mage
                        Rogue

Druid
                        Ranger

Priest
                        Paladin

Necromancer
                        Blackguard

Comment

• DavidMedley
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                          a "full-caster" is less complex than a "half-caster", one class being simpler than a hybrid of two classes.
                          Yes, fully matters of opinion and there are several sensible ways to organize. But this is a fact: there's about 40% less spells to learn as a Paladin than as a Priest. Also, I think 0%-50%-100% is a bit more intuitive sorting than 0%-100%-50%.

The current none-full-half order is fine with me, honestly. But the seeming lack of organization within that framework causes my OCD to flare a little.
                          Last edited by DavidMedley; December 6, 2020, 17:56.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2019

My thoughts on this subject are heavily influenced by introducing the game to my sons (12 and 9 yo) and seeing what works for them.

Comment

• archolewa
                              Swordsman
                              • Feb 2019

Honestly, in my experience, with the possbile exception of Priests, the full casters are harder to play. They have fewer hitpoints, and their primary source of offense can run out of juice. So they tend to be less forgiving of mistakes.

Comment

• fph
                                Veteran
                                • Apr 2009

What do others think?
                                I like DavidMedley's suggestion. Sorting by class complexity makes sense and seems a good newbie-friendly change.

As for class complexity, I have no doubts that beating orcs with a stick is simpler than beating orcs with a stick and occasionally casting spells, which in turn is simpler than using spells, wands, and arrows while not letting them get close because you're squishier.
                                --
                                Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎