Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Jump deliberately sets off a trap. Can be useful if you are looking for the stairs down.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
      Prophet
      • Apr 2008

Hmm... I've tested "Moves +1" and find it completely overpowered -- it's basically having the same as +10 speed which is way better than wearing two rings of escaping without the drawbacks. And you can just kill stuff with hit & run... Maybe the move bonus should be halved?
      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Thraalbee
        Knight
        • Sep 2010

Yes. To good. Also ruins competitions on turncount. Might be ok if it was as rare as BoS +10

Comment

• Sphara
          Knight
          • Oct 2016

@PowerWyrm

I found early randart boots with +2 or +3 Movement Speed in version 4.2.0.

I don't know if that is changed or not but it completely broke the game and I said goodbye to randarts that day. Randarts were (and still are) already super powerful even without items like these.

Comment

• DavidMedley
            Veteran
            • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Thraalbee
            Yes. To good. Also ruins competitions on turncount. Might be ok if it was as rare as BoS +10
            Is that true? I thought the turncount is player turns, not game-world turns.
            Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Gwarl
              Administrator
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
              Hmm... I've tested "Moves +1" and find it completely overpowered -- it's basically having the same as +10 speed which is way better than wearing two rings of escaping without the drawbacks. And you can just kill stuff with hit & run... Maybe the move bonus should be halved?
              Unified speed system please.

Moves +1 to become move speed +10

Attacks +1 to become attack speed +10

etc

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

In gauntlet_gen():

Code:
                	int x_size = (z_info->dungeon_wid - gauntlet_wid) / 2 -
                		randint0(45 - gauntlet_wid);
                This can still break the x boundary in case randint0() returns 0. Changing this to randint1() works.
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Voovus
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Gwarl
                  Unified speed system please.

Moves +1 to become move speed +10

Attacks +1 to become attack speed +10

etc

Kill the speed stat instead.
                  (Ok, so the game might need a bit of rebalancing after that.)

Comment

• Hounded
                    Adept
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Voovus
                    Kill the speed stat instead.
                    Heretic.
                    It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• Raerick
                      Scout
                      • Jan 2019

I don't understand how the + movement speed bonuses are that powerful. Even if you are using fewer turns to move away from an enemy you are still using more turns than if you just phase door (relative to distance gained.) Sure phase door can end up being sealed by the terrain such as if it is more likely to drop you in a worse spot, but that is beside the point.

Speaking of things that I think are overpowered it would be the mage spell Thrust Away. It sends an enemy flying unless they meet a wall of some kind and ends up stunning most of them. I just beat Morgoth where I never had to move. I used mana storm on him till he got a few spaces away, knocked him back, he ended up getting stunned, then he would get hammered by me on his way back. He got off about four storms, a couple of bolts, and two summonings before he died. The rest of the time was him helplessly trying to close the distance.

Another one would be Dimensional Door which allows a mage to teleport anywhere they want. Before I had banish or mass banish spells this alone allowed me to deal with Qs with impunity, also to effortlessly snatch floor objects I detected with enlightenment potions on the turn after I knew about them (mostly, as there is some risk involved of being hit where you land, but I actually wasn't hit by anything nasty doing so.)
                      Last edited by Raerick; November 4, 2020, 19:51.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
                        In gauntlet_gen():

Code:
                        	int x_size = (z_info->dungeon_wid - gauntlet_wid) / 2 -
                        		randint0(45 - gauntlet_wid);
                        This can still break the x boundary in case randint0() returns 0. Changing this to randint1() works.
                        Thanks, that's what I meant.
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2019

Throwing weapons occupying the quiver works only sporadically. I haven't been able to figure out the trick to it (I inscribe @v0).
                          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by DavidMedley
                            Throwing weapons occupying the quiver works only sporadically. I haven't been able to figure out the trick to it (I inscribe @v0).
                            Yeah, you must inscribe with the @v# to insert in quiver. Unlike FA, which asks on pickup whether you want to put a throwable item in the quiver.
                            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• DavidMedley
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2019

(I inscribe @v0).
                              That's what I'm saying. I inscribe them and it works sporadically.

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

When does it not work? I know there are difficulties if you also have ammo inscribed with @f0, but are there other cases?
                                One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                                In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎