• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
    I think he got the only one where I failed to do a customised message
    Ha! That's some high-quality playtesting Ingwe's doing there.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Bug: Automatic Digging without having to wield digger in pack:

It appears that the automatic digger selection for tunneling with items in the pack may cause a problem when @ is carrying Deathwreaker in that pack. I may want @ to dig through the wall, but not incur the aggravation penalty that Deathwreaker would entail, or is the tunneling occurring without said penalty? Also, the messages are odd for a priest...

With Deathwreaker in pack, and tunneling while wielding a Holy Avenger Mace of Disruption:

"You feel less attuned to your weapon.
      "You feel attuned to your weapon.
      "You tunnel into the granite wall."
      [Message repeats in the same order until digging is completed, until...]
      "You have finished the tunnel."

Without Deathwreaker in pack:

"You tunnel into the granit wall. <#x>
      "You have finished the tunnel."

So, digging is apparently:

1. Switching weapon (and getting malus from doing so) without any choice.
      2. Deathwreaker is a Mace, so it should be just fine for priests to use, like any other mace. Why does this one mace have a malus flag for priests?
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        1. Switching weapon (and getting malus from doing so) without any choice.
        It turns out this is actually not a problem. The dig command selects the best - ie greatest tunneling power - digger, switches it in, digs, and switches out again. Because this all happens during the player turn, the player never has aggravation (or anything else bad) when these things are checked, so nothing is really affected apart from digging speed.

2. Deathwreaker is a Mace, so it should be just fine for priests to use, like any other mace. Why does this one mace have a malus flag for priests?
        The change to priests meant that they don't get any malus for any weapon, but they do get a bonus for wielding a blessed weapon. So the problem here is that your wielded weapon was blessed, but Deathwreaker isn't - so you would get the same message spam using a standard pick. The message spam is still really annoying, though, and I'll have to try and find a way around it.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

So the problem here is that your wielded weapon was blessed, but Deathwreaker isn't - so you would get the same message spam using a standard pick. The message spam is still really annoying, though, and I'll have to try and find a way around it.
          Thanks Nick, but, umm... 'Deathwreaker' isn't a pick, its a Mace of Disruption. Every other mace in the game, including other maces of disruption, priests are comfortable using. It's a mace.
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Thanks Nick, but, umm... 'Deathwreaker' isn't a pick, its a Mace of Disruption. Every other mace in the game, including other maces of disruption, priests are comfortable using. It's a mace.
            Sorry, I wasn't clear. Priests are now comfortable using any weapon; bluntness or sharpness are completely irrelevant. But they are attuned to blessed weapons, and you were wielding a Holy Avenger, which is blessed. So the message was because of removing that in favour of something not blessed - in your case Deathwreaker, but could have been any non-blessed weapon.

Comment

• Chud
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2010

The message spam is still really annoying, though, and I'll have to try and find a way around it.
              If the timing guarantees that no other important messages can be interleaved with these, maybe at least turn off pause between messages, do all this, and then turn it back on again? At least that way the message spam doesn't make you page through it.

Comment

• Grotug
                Veteran
                • Nov 2013

Knight's shield vs Mithril Shield: I wonder if there should be a larger AC difference between the two shields? (15 vs 16 is kind of small). Before Knight was added, all other shields had a difference of 3 or 4 AC. Maybe Mithril should get bumped to [18]?

Wicker [2]
                Small metal [5]
                Leather [8]
                Large [12]
                Knight's [15]
                Mithril [16]
                Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Sphara
                  Knight
                  • Oct 2016

Now that two competitions have been finished (congrats to Ingwe for the latest, btw) and several good players have played with "Monsters learn from their mistakes" on, I'd like to ask if anyone has noticed any increase in difficulty because of it.

I don't know how exactly this birth option works but nevertheless, I have not noticed it's turned on. Haven't even thought about it while playing. 4.2.0 itself is a bit harder than a previous version, THAT I have noticed (in a totally positive way).

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sphara
                    "Monsters learn from their mistakes" on, I'd like to ask if anyone has noticed any increase in difficulty because of it.
                    I did notice some difference with the regularity of particularly damaging spell choices or healing spell rapidity with monsters if the melee went too long, giving the monster a chance to take advantage. That said, it seems far less broken than it once was when, long ago, it made winning against healing monsters virtually impossible.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2008

Try fightning the Tarrasque with both immunities to fire and ice with or without the option and you'll notice the difference very quickly
                      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• wobbly
                        Prophet
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Sphara
                        Now that two competitions have been finished (congrats to Ingwe for the latest, btw) and several good players have played with "Monsters learn from their mistakes" on, I'd like to ask if anyone has noticed any increase in difficulty because of it.

I don't know how exactly this birth option works but nevertheless, I have not noticed it's turned on. Haven't even thought about it while playing. 4.2.0 itself is a bit harder than a previous version, THAT I have noticed (in a totally positive way).
                        I noticed no difference. I'm not sure whether it checks for immunity or just resistance, my understanding is something like:

no change for mindless casters
                        50% chance of removing the spell for standard casters (on observation of fail)
                        99% chance for intelligent casters

Comment

• fruviad
                          Apprentice
                          • Jan 2011

I think this is a bug. I have looked around, but haven't found any similar reports. Sound familiar to anyone?

Angband 4.2.0. Ubuntu 18.04.

I (Dunadan Mage) have wielded:
                          Augmented Chain Mail of Elvenkind (-2) [42,+12] <+1> {cursed}
                          Dropped by Ufthak of Cirith Ungol at 700 feet (level 14)

It makes you vulnerable to fire attacks, but resistant to cold.
                          +1 stealth.
                          Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, cold, light.
                          Cannot be harmed by acid.

I appear to have fully ID'd the item. If I examine it, there's no indication of un-ID'd features. If I cast "Identify Rune", I'm told "You have nothing to identify."

But...if I look at the grid showing equipment and resistances ("C" "<space>"), I see about 24 question marks on a variety of resistances. That's usually an indication that the item has un-ID'd runes.

Un-wielding / re-wielding the item has no effect on this disparity.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to repro it yet. I'm also unsure of the exact order in which the properties and curses were revealed with "Identify Rune".

I made a copy of the savefile. Don't know whether it might be of help to examine it, but it's available if someone wants to take a look.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fruviad
                            I made a copy of the savefile. Don't know whether it might be of help to examine it, but it's available if someone wants to take a look.
                            If you could zip it and post it here, that would be great.

Comment

• fruviad
                              Apprentice
                              • Jan 2011

If you could zip it and post it here, that would be great.
                              It's attached.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• gglibertine
                                Adept
                                • Dec 2007

So last week I upgraded my machine and monitor, giving me 3840x1600 resolution, which I *naturally* wanted to harness for Angband in ASCII mode. I take it that the game isn't able to handle widescreen display like that? Because I'm finding that if I attempt anything beyond a 16:9 aspect ratio, the map cuts off at what appears to be column 80. No more fullscreen single-window Angband for me, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎