Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chud
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2010

I hadn't noticed this in the nightlies, though maybe it was there, but in 4.2.0 the mage spell find traps et al shows traps that are out of view as a single floor tile "." rather than as "^". Not a big deal once I figured out what was going on certainly, but I wasn't sure if that was deliberate. (This on Windows.)

And along with the others, thanks for all the work you put into this!

Comment

• Chud
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2010

One more question, sorry... (and, is this thread where you want these sorts of things to go?)

I don't understand this damage calculation. Yes, I'm a mage, with poor strength and poor dex, but this damage calculation still seems too low---unless it factors in to-hit chance, but how can you do that without knowing who the target is?

4.2.0 on Windows.

And I'm not wearing anything cursed, no rings of mice or escaping or anything like that.

Comment

• Chud
        Swordsman
        • Jun 2010

Ha - nevermind, I figured it out. :-)

Spoiler for new behavior, perhaps...

Comment

• mrfy
          Swordsman
          • Jul 2015

Tired of my current character, decided to try a blackguard. Killed old character, then tried the new "new game" option. Generated the new character and noticed while moving around the town that the game wasn't making sounds. The option was still set in user interface options for sound on. Quit the game, restart and sounds are back working.

This is on MacOS X.

Comment

• DrWho42
            Adept
            • May 2019

great work everyone!
            avatar by chuckdrawsthings. thanks chuck!

bootleg fishcenterlive

🌲link🌲tree🌲

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Chud
              Ha - nevermind, I figured it out. :-)

Spoiler for new behavior, perhaps...
              Was the weapon cursed?

...wait, no, then it'd have unknown runes on it. Dang.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

I'd say stunned or weak with hunger, at a guess

Comment

• Chud
                  Swordsman
                  • Jun 2010

Originally posted by wobbly
                  I'd say stunned or weak with hunger, at a guess
                  Not weak from hunger (at least not labeled as such) - just hungry. 10%. Evidently your ability starts to drop as soon as your nutrition gets into the yellow. (Doesn't affect spell casting fail rate, though it would make sense if it did. I definitely don't concentrate as well when hungry. )

Comment

• MattB
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2013

Yeah, I found out about the hungry debuff when I realised my warrior had been embroiled in an epic 10-round battle with a mouse. And was losing.
                    I swallowed some dried fruit and one-shotted it.
                    Made me feel like Popeye.
                    X-D

Comment

• MattB
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2013

Couple more tiny things:

1) When I use a staff of summoning and bring forth something faster than me, I get "Foo hits you. Foo hits you. Foo is able to move again." Dunno what that's about?

2) A helpful shopkeeper just told me that I can wield ammo to the quiver to save on slots. Not sure that's really so helpful anymore.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MattB
                        1) When I use a staff of summoning and bring forth something faster than me, I get "Foo hits you. Foo hits you. Foo is able to move again." Dunno what that's about?
                        So that's two things. The first is that previously monsters used to be slowed when they were first summoned to give the player a chance to react. Now that we have a "held" status (as in Hold Monster), they are held instead, which is what the "is able to move again" message is about.

The second is that that message ordering is not ideal.

Originally posted by MattB
                        2) A helpful shopkeeper just told me that I can wield ammo to the quiver to save on slots. Not sure that's really so helpful anymore.
                        True.
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• spara
                          Adept
                          • Nov 2014

Thank you so much for the new version. Two quick notes:

1. The food percentage. Maybe it's just me, but it feels a tad too numbery. Knowing the percentage of hunger feels like a bit too much information. But I'll probably get used to it after a couple of games.

2. Blackguard. For the first time for a long time I've actually tried to play something else than warrior, priest or paladin. I chose blackguard and tried to look for some information, but could only find the character description from rephial. Does the effect of shield bash depend on the shield @ is wearing? Does shield bash do damage or does it only stun? I suppose bg tries to shield bash every time he hits, but what is the success percentage and what does it depend on? At what level blackguard gets the first spell?

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Minor inconsistency:

On walk over while blind: You feel a Pair of leather sandals.
                            In wield menu while still blind: Leather sandals [1,+4]

Comment

• Bill Peterson
                              Adept
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                              Minor inconsistency:

On walk over while blind: You feel a Pair of leather sandals.
                              In wield menu while still blind: Leather sandals [1,+4]
                              You've seen sandals in the past. You can feel the materiel used and the quality of the construction.

Comment

• fph
                                Veteran
                                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by spara
                                1. The food percentage. Maybe it's just me, but it feels a tad too numbery. Knowing the percentage of hunger feels like a bit too much information. But I'll probably get used to it after a couple of games.
                                Same feeling. The more I see the new system, the more I appreciate the elegance of the old one, where without seeing any numbers you could tell that eating a food ration while not full wasn't going to leave you gorged.

(OTOH, I like a lot the varied Middle-Earth gastronomy and I wish there was more food with side effects around.)
                                --
                                Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎