• Jan 2019

That's mean.

I like it.
    It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• EpicMan
      Swordsman
      • Dec 2009

Annihilation makes me think it should breathe disintegration (mana + removes walls if no disintegration element in Vanilla), like the Black Dragons in Nethack.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Yeah, an Annihilation wyrm should breathe only unresistable elements. Mana, disintegration (assuming someone feels like coding it or nicking the code from one of the variants that has it), time, gravity, maybe force? I wouldn't want to dilute its breath pool too much with uninteresting breaths; Aether hounds/vortices aren't very interesting because most of the time they breathe things like basic elements, light/darkness, and other lesser things.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

But wgat is the point? A few more deep monsters to avoid doesnt add much to the game

Comment

• Grotug
            Veteran
            • Nov 2013

Mana, disintegration, inertia, gravity, Time, force. Six breaths should be good. I think Force is interesting in that it knocks you back, which is probably a good challenge for the characters who will be most fit to dispatch a great wyrm of annihilation: those wielding a randart (8d5) slays dragons *powerfully*.
            Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• PowerWyrm
              Prophet
              • Apr 2008

Cyberdemons when?
              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Grotug
                Mana, disintegration, inertia, gravity, Time, force. Six breaths should be good. I think Force is interesting in that it knocks you back, which is probably a good challenge for the characters who will be most fit to dispatch a great wyrm of annihilation: those wielding a randart (8d5) slays dragons *powerfully*.
                And rockets while at it...
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                  But wgat is the point? A few more deep monsters to avoid doesnt add much to the game
                  Some people want big monsters so they can fight them. Not everything is about cherry-picking the best EXP targets, stealthily grabbing loot off the floor, TOing everything remotely dangerous, and ramping up your power as fast as possible.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Sure. But more big breathers is not really an interesting way to do it. Compare to cyberdemons, or those nightmare levels towards the end of Steamband.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                      Sure. But more big breathers is not really an interesting way to do it. Compare to cyberdemons, or those nightmare levels towards the end of Steamband.
                      Aside from mana (and whatever disintegration gets if it's implemented), those exotic elements have pretty low damage caps. They're scary due to their side-effects. So I'm not sure I would characterize this proposal as a "big breather". It's a big monster with breath weapons, sure, but they're more about applying some unpleasant debuffs while also dealing some damage.

Cyberdemons are pretty one-note, for that matter: a powerful rocket launcher, lots of HP, and decently high melee damage.

I'm not familiar with Steamband; what were its late levels like?

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Well, the current build has put great wyrms of law and chaos back in, and still has great wyrms of annihilation and sky dragons (which originally replaced them. So everybody wins?
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Antoine
                          Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
                          • Nov 2007

There is also a Great Wyrm of Amnesia, but none of us can remember fighting it and even Nick cannot remember coding it

A.
                          Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Gwarl
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Derakon
                            Aside from mana (and whatever disintegration gets if it's implemented), those exotic elements have pretty low damage caps. They're scary due to their side-effects. So I'm not sure I would characterize this proposal as a "big breather". It's a big monster with breath weapons, sure, but they're more about applying some unpleasant debuffs while also dealing some damage.

Cyberdemons are pretty one-note, for that matter: a powerful rocket launcher, lots of HP, and decently high melee damage.

I'm not familiar with Steamband; what were its late levels like?
                            in variants which have cyberdemons, confusion is a useful status effect.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
                              There is also a Great Wyrm of Amnesia, but none of us can remember fighting it and even Nick cannot remember coding it

A.
                              I think it was introduced by Julian Lighton
                              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Derakon
                                Prophet
                                • Dec 2009

Speaking as an official community Old Fart, as I recall the Great Wyrm of Amnesia was...

uh.

what were we talking about?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡