• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Hmm, OK, I'll adjust 'Full' down a bit.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Sphara
      Knight
      • Oct 2016

Did you make food more rare too or was this starvation death just co-incidentally unlucky?

Comment

• Grotug
        Veteran
        • Nov 2013

I'm admittedly still playing a character I started from the April 29th build, and am wondering what is actually going on when a unique transforms into another unique that is 48 levels deeper. Maia of Orome just transformed into Huan, Wolfhound of Terror. Does the Maia now have the hitpoints of Huan? Is the Maia now actually Huan until he decides to change back or into something else? Is the Maia a cheap imitation of Huan? I ?phased away when I saw he had turned into Huan and then detected for evil but found none (The Maia of Orome did not become evil upon becoming Huan).

Thanks so much for some insight on this. I suppose I could poke at Huan and see what happens, but not sure I feel like dying to such an experiment.
        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Grotug
          I ?phased away when I saw he had turned into Huan and then detected for evil but found none (The Maia of Orome did not become evil upon becoming Huan).
          If I recall, Huan is not evil.

I've been wondering too, whether something changed into a unique has all the same attributes as that unique, (except the experience value, since it changes back immediately prior to death).
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Grotug
            I'm admittedly still playing a character I started from the April 29th build, and am wondering what is actually going on when a unique transforms into another unique that is 48 levels deeper. Maia of Orome just transformed into Huan, Wolfhound of Terror. Does the Maia now have the hitpoints of Huan? Is the Maia now actually Huan until he decides to change back or into something else? Is the Maia a cheap imitation of Huan?
            It will behave exactly like Huan, but its HP and speed will be unchanged. So it will be slower and have weaker breaths than the real Huan, but have the same melee and spells.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sphara
              Did you make food more rare too or was this starvation death just co-incidentally unlucky?
              No change to any object rarity. You must just have been playing badly

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

I think you messed up rubble colours in here somewhere. They both look the same dull grey to my necromancer (in ascii).

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                  I think you messed up rubble colours in here somewhere. They both look the same dull grey to my necromancer (in ascii).
                  Passable rubble is brown when it's lit - check it out in town, for example.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Nick
                    Passable rubble is brown when it's lit - check it out in town, for example.
                    yeah it is. I'm going to say that different coloured lighting on rubble is just an added interface hassle for necromancers. It might play just fine for classes that use lights but it's flat out annoying on a class that doesn't.

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

Also found a strange interaction. Something hit me with a darkness spell while I was blind & it mapped the room I was standing in (on necromancer of course).

Edit: Also you may want to improve the hunger mechanic before someone labels it vomitband.

Comment

• Chud
                        Swordsman
                        • Jun 2010

Noticed a minor information leak -- after drinking !Enlightenment, I see an object in the object list simply identified as "= a Ring". Not a known ring, and not a "Plutonium Ring", and shown in grey along with the few undesirable objects.

So, I pretty much know it's an artifact (or a mimic I suppose) from the beginning.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Hmm. In the old days, rings of power could be identified this way. Ruby, plain gold, etc, were all fixed object types. Same for necklaces and other special jewelry.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            Hmm. In the old days, rings of power could be identified this way. Ruby, plain gold, etc, were all fixed object types. Same for necklaces and other special jewelry.
                            I thought it was only the One Ring that had a special flavor. Part of what makes it so special is that you can identify it from a distance. Which makes sense from a lore standpoint, because it wants to be found! None of the other Rings of Power are described like that, that I can recall.

Comment

• Chud
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
                              I thought it was only the One Ring that had a special flavor. Part of what makes it so special is that you can identify it from a distance. Which makes sense from a lore standpoint, because it wants to be found! None of the other Rings of Power are described like that, that I can recall.
                              In this case it was definitely not the One Ring, just a randart artifact ring. It doesn't seem nearly powerful enough to be based on the One Ring, though I guess you never know. Aggravate was its only minus, and mostly stat boosts and a couple resistances.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                                Several powerful items of jewelry an lights that have special flavors that can be observed from a distance and are identifiable to those "in the know", without actual identification by @. In addition to the Plain Gold Ring, there are the Ruby, Adamant, and Sapphire Rings, Jewel, Necklace, Amulet, Pendant, Elfstone, Phial, Star, and Arkenstone. However, I don't know how those translate in randarts.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎