X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Current master post-4.1.3

This thread is for me to update what's happening on current master, and for people to suggest/complain.

There are new builds up on the nightlies page with the following changes:
    • Priest pointy penalty replaced with a slight to-hit and to-dam bonus for using a blessed weapon (which paladins also get)
    • Arcane caster glove penalty removed
    • Shield bashes made half as likely, and given to warriors and paladins

So this is a big buff for paladins, a decent buff for priests, mages, rogues and warriors, and a nerf for blackguards. Let me know how it goes, more adjustment will undoubtedly be needed.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Nick, you are brilliant! I just noticed the old_class.txt file so that people could easily go back to the original classes. Not that I want to do that, I'm having quite a lot of fun exploring the new classes, but that you quietly provide such flexibility is really wonderful. Thumbs up!!!
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
      Nick, you are brilliant! I just noticed the old_class.txt file so that people could easily go back to the original classes. Not that I want to do that, I'm having quite a lot of fun exploring the new classes, but that you quietly provide such flexibility is really wonderful. Thumbs up!!!
      You'll need the old object & monster files too for that, otherwise monsters will drop either useless or non-existent books.

Edit: store as well. It's not too hard but trickier then you'd expect when you add up the little bits.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
        You'll need the old object & monster files too for that, otherwise monsters will drop either useless or non-existent books.

Edit: store as well. It's not too hard but trickier then you'd expect when you add up the little bits.
        I don't think so. Nick is more brilliant than you've given credit. Although it is called "old_class.txt", it isn't actually an exact duplicate of the old file. It includes the modifications Nick has made to the way in which books are defined (as well as other game-play refinements like changes to class flags, e.g., removal of cumber glove, blessed, etc.) Books are no longer in object.txt, the book objects are defined in the class.txt file (or old_class.txt file). Also, the only drops dictated by the monster file are Morgoth's crown and weapon.
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

Ah your right well mostly (druid even drops a priest book instead of nature). I'd had parser errors going the opposite direction & didn't realize the new monster list doesn't name the book. Ranger however has the same flag name for shots, so it'd be new ranger bow shots. Not sure about the bookstore. Always:shadow. Though that's simple to remove.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
            Thanks, I'm certainly going to try and keep this updated. I think it's inevitable, though, that the old classes will gradually drift away from what they used to be like as game mechanics change.

Comment

• luneya
              Swordsman
              • Aug 2015

It would probably also be a good idea to add "Use old-style classes" as a birth option. It shouldn't be difficult to code--when the option is enabled, have the program read old_class.txt whenever it would otherwise read class.txt, and restart the character selection process whenever the option is toggled on or off--and it would allow people to easily switch between the two class systems without going to the trouble of renaming both files.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by luneya
                It would probably also be a good idea to add "Use old-style classes" as a birth option. It shouldn't be difficult to code--when the option is enabled, have the program read old_class.txt whenever it would otherwise read class.txt, and restart the character selection process whenever the option is toggled on or off--and it would allow people to easily switch between the two class systems without going to the trouble of renaming both files.
                Yeah, that's worth looking into.

Comment

• wobbly
                  Prophet
                  • May 2012

Is the Spirit tag a necromancer thing? So the hydra doesn't have it because the game thinks it's an animal. Why isn't it on the hybrids?

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Is the Spirit tag a necromancer thing? So the hydra doesn't have it because the game thinks it's an animal. Why isn't it on the hybrids?
                    Spirit is for things that would have been considered sentient. Hybrids are mostly mashed up animals.

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

What actually matters for shield bash? Str? Dex? Shield weight?

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

What actually matters for shield bash? Str? Dex? Shield weight?
                        For chance of bashing: to-hit, DEX, dice of weapon compared to shield

For bash damage: to-hit, player weight, inventory weight, shield weight, shield dice, player level, STR

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

So I'm testing my own variant but it still got feature branch object and class in, but not a lot of floor items. All I can see is a billion books. Seems a little like book 1 drops a lot more then anything else. Possibly because every class has a book 1. It's pretty easy to see on a small level with not many items. They're almost all books.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

So I'm testing my own variant but it still got feature branch object and class in, but not a lot of floor items. All I can see is a billion books. Seems a little like book 1 drops a lot more then anything else. Possibly because every class has a book 1. It's pretty easy to see on a small level with not many items. They're almost all books.
                            If you've removed other level 1 items from object.txt, you'll be getting relatively more books.

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Nick
                              If you've removed other level 1 items from object.txt, you'll be getting relatively more books.
                              It's feature branchs object.txt
                              It's literally just cave-gen, player-cals, generate, monster.txt
                              It's feature branch, with different gen and monsters. It's still feature branchs object.txt (It's actually the 2nd latest feature branch)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎