• Youssarian
      Scout
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by wobbly
      It should show up in the store if it's marked a town book, such as this:

book:magic book:town:[Path of the Mage]:7:arcane

I found that. But in the game in the store it says for example:

40 Books of Necromantic Tomes [Into the Shadows]

I am trying to find how to change the Necromantic Tomes which I can't do. Is that something hard coded elsewhere and can't be edited?
      In the halls of Angband, Melkor discovers cupcakes and is changed forever.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Youssarian
        I am trying to find how to change the Necromantic Tomes which I can't do. Is that something hard coded elsewhere and can't be edited?
        It appears to be hardcoded, sorry.

Comment

• Chud
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
          About all I can think of is if there's a monster behind a door, that can't open the door, and you want to be able to attack it from range. If I recall correctly, Stone to Mud doesn't work on doors, so you'd have to use a door destruction effect instead.
          Using stone to mud on the wall next to the door should let it out too though.

Comment

• Youssarian
            Scout
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Derakon
            Thank you! Now I will at least stop wasting my time
            In the halls of Angband, Melkor discovers cupcakes and is changed forever.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!

Comment

• Kinematics
              Apprentice
              • Feb 2013

So I was feeling in the mood for Angband, downloaded the latest version, and have been playing it for a bit, but I've been running into a lot of glitches in the UI, and haven't been able to track down any threads or bug reports on the tracker about them.

Currently running 4.1.3 on Windows 7.

Examples include:
              • I'm running a hobbit ranger. My weight on the character screen is "4st 1lb". This never seems to change.
              • When browsing a book, hitting ? to show spell details creates a textbox below the spell list. Hitting ? again to hide the details, however, doesn't properly hide the spell details. Rather, it leaves one text line visible. This line changes as you move through the spells in the list. Hitting ? again will show the complete description.
              • Current AC in the sidebar area often gets wiped partially or completely. As in, the only text showing is "Cur", and switching screens displayed doesn't bring it back. This often happens in combat, but I haven't worked out steps to reproduce. It gets fixed when changing dungeon levels.
              • Text to the right of the main map area does not get cleared properly. An easy example is walking into a shop and seeing the top line, "General Store (30000)". Exit the shop, and the right-most ")" remains on screen. In some instances of this happening, I can see the last character of a whole inventory worth of text rows. This can be cleared by switching to the character screen and returning to the main map.

I don't remember if I encountered any other such glitches. The above list are the memorable ones.

Comment

• Derakon
                Prophet
                • Dec 2009

The "4st 1lb" thing probably means "4 stones and 1 pound", or 57 pounds (~26kg). That doesn't sound that outlandish for a child-sized adventurer.

Comment

• Grotug
                  Veteran
                  • Nov 2013

Just to clarify, the 4.1 st weight doesn't change because that's the weight of the character at the start of the game, not the character's current weight wearing armor and carrying inventory items. That weight is displayed in the lower left of the character screen.
                  Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Kinematics
                    Apprentice
                    • Feb 2013

Ah. Had forgotten that was even a measure of weight to consider. I don't remember it being used before; from what I remember, it was always listed just in pounds.

Also, had another glitch similar to the AC one, but with SP (ie: I have no listed SP for my character, as well as no AC). The line disappeared after some uses of activated rings (lightning and cold).

Edit: And just to finish the trifecta, the HP line had disappeared as well.
                    Last edited by Kinematics; March 27, 2019, 01:30.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

I hadn't seen the sidebar issues before, thanks for reporting. The quick fix when it happens is to do a screen refresh with Ctrl-R.
                      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Mark
                        Adept
                        • Oct 2007

Bug in disable traps?

I'm only playing my second, serious character in v4 game, so this may be lack of understanding of how traps work, but it seems odd to me that a Rod of Disable Traps appears to remove traps, but then they re-appear ~30 turns later! Is that intentional?

Comment

• wobbly
                          Prophet
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by gglibertine
                          Quick question: is there still any actual use for items of Door Destruction?
                          Arguably it's faster then picking a lock if you're running away you just don't use it because phase door is a thing. The escape tools come in the wrong order for conventional escapes to be useful.

These are door/trap destruction in some variants. I still don't use them but that would possibly see some use in V up until the point you run out of inventory slots.

My memory is suggesting it was this way in V and they got nuked with the trap changes?
                          Last edited by wobbly; March 27, 2019, 06:55.

Comment

• Hounded
                            Adept
                            • Jan 2019

Do Rogues have to use "Books"?

Originally posted by Youssarian
                            I was trying to fool around with the books, but can't seem to figure out how to change the names that show up in the store. I'm using note pad II to edit things, but it just isn't obvious to me how to change that.

I was going to play with changes to Necromancer first, but these were the names I came up with that I was going to edit, in time, all the others.

Necromancer
                            Codex of Dark Arts [title]

Blackguard
                            Shadow Handbook [title]

Druid
                            Treatise of Nature [title]

Ranger
                            Book of the Woodlands [title]

Mage
                            Tome of Sorcery [title]

Rogue
                            Manual of Tricks [title]

Priest
                            Holy Scriptures [title]

Paladin
                            Essays of Faith [title]

I found the books in the Class file. Some info in the realm file. But clearly I have no idea what I am doing. Help would be appreciated.
                            It's always seemed a bit of a disconnect for me that the Rogue uses magic books. If they have their own set of "books" is there some reason not to re-flavor them as something more physical/skill based? I'm thinking "Basic Thieves Kit", "Burglars Pack", "Manual of Tricks, Traps & Snares", "Hustlers Kit: Smoke & Mirrors".

The game mechanic remains the same but it makes it seem more like a skill they have instead of "oh yeah, they have magic too". Think Batman as opposed to X-Men.

The same logic could easily apply to the Ranger but it doesn't jar me so much when they use "spells".
                            It Breathes. You die.

Comment

• Sky
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Mark
                              I'm only playing my second, serious character in v4 game, so this may be lack of understanding of how traps work, but it seems odd to me that a Rod of Disable Traps appears to remove traps, but then they re-appear ~30 turns later! Is that intentional?
                              It's actually a Rod Of Temporarily Disable Traps.

yes, it's intentional. just disarm the trap by walking on it.
                              "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Kinematics
                                Apprentice
                                • Feb 2013

A clarification on the glitch that leaves text on the right edge of the screen:

When I saw additional text running down the screen, other than just the leftover ) from a shop description, it seems it came from the magic item shop. Specifically, staves and wands with multiples of each, that have "Avg" to the right of the price, leaves the "v" of "Avg" on screen after leaving the shop. Since the "g" is wiped, I'm guessing there's an off-by-one error somewhere in determining which area of the screen to clear and redraw.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎