X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sky
    It's my humble opinion of non-contributor that Angband needs a 4.1.4 rollback that includes the latest fixes but keeps the original classes (including the ranger's and items shooting bonus), and then move these to Angband 5.0
    AFAIK there aren't any major 4.1.3 bugs that are fixed in current master. Willing to be contradicted.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

Yesterday i ruined someone's life.

I taught some kid to play angband.

He doesnt know it yet but he is doomed to spend the next 10 years learning this game.

BUT i did make him download 4.1.2 so he still has easymode Ranger and Mage to play for that extra edge in winning.
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• EpicMan
        Swordsman
        • Dec 2009

Welcome to the Hotel Angband-fornia

Levelin' up at the Hotel Angband-fornia /
        You can play any time you want /
        But you can never leave...

(Parodying part of "Hotel California" by the Eagles)
        Last edited by EpicMan; October 17, 2018, 18:52.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

"You feel drugged!"
          "You can see clearly again"

Ah, no I can't because I'm blind.

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
            "You feel drugged!"
            "You can see clearly again"

Ah, no I can't because I'm blind.
            You can clearly see...nothing. Probably still better than hallucinating!

Comment

• fph
              Veteran
              • Apr 2009

Or, with the words of Dream Theater and Tornatore, "I can see much clearer now I'm blind"...
              --
              Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Adam
                Adept
                • Feb 2016

Hello, just upgraded to 4.1.3 recently and met some strange pathfinding problem which i never saw before.
                It's reproducible, about 10 tries and always the same movement from M.
                Maybe it's already fixed on the master branch but i guess it does not hurt verifying it.
                M's position relative to the player (if i just wait with key 5):
                12S-12E;11S-11E;9S-9E;10S-10E;11S-11E;12S-12E;13S-13E;12S-12E;13S-13E;12S-12E;13S-13E;12S-12E;13S-13E;14S-12E;13S-11E;1S-10E;13S-9E - and from this point it looks good.
                Attached Files

Comment

• MattB
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2013

Just noticed the manual for the first time. It's brilliant!
                  (And in pdf too, whatever next?)

One of my favourite parts:
                  One of the hardest things for people to get used to, when playing games of this nature for the first time, is that the character is not the same as the player. The player presses keys, and looks at a computer screen, while the character performs complex actions, and interacts with a virtual world. The player decides what the character should do, and tells her to do it, and the character then performs the actions.
                  These actions may induce some changes in the virtual world. Some of these changes may be apparent to the character, and information about the changes is then made available to the player by a variety of methods, including messages, character state changes, or visual changes to the screen. Some changes may only be apparent to the player.
                  There are also a whole set of things that the player can do that can not even be described in the virtual world inhabited by the character, such as resize windows, read online help files, modify colormaps, or change options. Some of these things may even affect the character in abstract ways, for example, the player can request that from now on all monsters know exactly where the character is at all times.
                  Likewise, there are some things that the character does on a regular basis that the player may not even consider, such as digesting food, or searching for traps while walking down a hallway.
                  To make matters worse, as you get used to the difference between the player and the character, it becomes so "obvious" that you start to ignore it. At that point, you find yourself merging the player and the character in your mind, and you find yourself saying things like "So yesterday, I was at my friend’s house, and I stayed up late playing Angband, and I was attacked by some wild dogs, and I got killed by a demon, but I made it to the high score list", in which the pronoun changes back and forth from the real world to the virtual one several times in the same sentence. So, from this point on you may have to separate the player and the character for yourself.
                  So anyway, …

Comment

• Adam
                    Adept
                    • Feb 2016

Hello, question about failure rates:
                    My mage on cl 36 has 18/*** int.
                    Meteor Swarm can be learnt at level 30, costs 14 mana, failure rate is 10%.
                    Rift can be learnt at level 35, costs 20 mana, failure rate is 0%.
                    Probably it's on purpose but I don't see the point. I thought higher level spells will always have higher fail rate? What's the logic behind that? I mean from design perspective.

Comment

• gglibertine
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2007

Quick question: is there still any actual use for items of Door Destruction?

Comment

• Youssarian
                        Scout
                        • Feb 2019

I was trying to fool around with the books, but can't seem to figure out how to change the names that show up in the store. I'm using note pad II to edit things, but it just isn't obvious to me how to change that.

I was going to play with changes to Necromancer first, but these were the names I came up with that I was going to edit, in time, all the others.

Necromancer
                        Codex of Dark Arts [title]

Blackguard
                        Shadow Handbook [title]

Druid
                        Treatise of Nature [title]

Ranger
                        Book of the Woodlands [title]

Mage
                        Tome of Sorcery [title]

Rogue
                        Manual of Tricks [title]

Priest
                        Holy Scriptures [title]

Paladin
                        Essays of Faith [title]

I found the books in the Class file. Some info in the realm file. But clearly I have no idea what I am doing. Help would be appreciated.
                        In the halls of Angband, Melkor discovers cupcakes and is changed forever.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

In principle, there only needs to be one book for each realm, with different spells available for full and half casters. The aim is to cut down on junk.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            In principle, there only needs to be one book for each realm, with different spells available for full and half casters. The aim is to cut down on junk.
                            Only a single book would significantly reduce inventory pressure on caster classes, which is an indirect nerf of warriors. There's also a significant amount of enjoyment to be had from finding a new spellbook in the dungeon. I don't know that it's right to have 9 books per realm, but 1 is probably too few.

Originally posted by gglibertine
                            Quick question: is there still any actual use for items of Door Destruction?
                            About all I can think of is if there's a monster behind a door, that can't open the door, and you want to be able to attack it from range. If I recall correctly, Stone to Mud doesn't work on doors, so you'd have to use a door destruction effect instead.

Weirdly, Stone to Mud does work on undiscovered secret doors.

Comment

• Youssarian
                              Scout
                              • Feb 2019

I was just trying to play with this myself. In the test versions, the mage classes do not share all the books already. I wanted, for myself, to play around with altering the names and how they show up in the game. It isn't intended for everyone else as that isn't my call, but I would like to figure out how to do it for the version I play. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

And since the new versions intends to have all these different caster classes, it would be nice to flesh out magic and give them some more originality. Some might call it clutter, others might consider it adding depth.
                              In the halls of Angband, Melkor discovers cupcakes and is changed forever.

He commands his servant Sauron to create the One Cupcake of Doom!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                                Prophet
                                • Apr 2007

Sorry Derakon; I wasn't clear. I mean a single book for each level. So WLOG, "Shadow Handbook" would be the beginners book for both classes, and "Tome of Dark Arts" would be book 2.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎