Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

When an equipped item glows, it's a sign of partial identification. So for a fire trap like you hit, it tells you that the dagger has fire resistance. With rune ID, you'll recognize this feature for all further objects. (Scrolls of ID do the same thing.)

By around DL 40, you should have all the "base 4" elements covered: fire, cold, acid, elec. And at CL 40, poison resist gets more valuable, especially if you don't know which monsters can kill you in a turn or two. (E.g., the drolem does 710 poison damage, so it'll kill a mage twice over.)

Comment

• Petoften
      Knight
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      When an equipped item glows, it's a sign of partial identification. So for a fire trap like you hit, it tells you that the dagger has fire resistance. With rune ID, you'll recognize this feature for all further objects. (Scrolls of ID do the same thing.)

By around DL 40, you should have all the "base 4" elements covered: fire, cold, acid, elec. And at CL 40, poison resist gets more valuable, especially if you don't know which monsters can kill you in a turn or two. (E.g., the drolem does 710 poison damage, so it'll kill a mage twice over.)
      So, what should I do when I see those rune traps?

Comment

• Petoften
        Knight
        • Jun 2018

Hm, I ran out of cure light wound potions, and was somewhat low on health and ran into a black harpy so I door gated.

Had to do it a few times because it kept finding me and hitting me. Finally I got to stairs - and they led to several monsters right on top of them.

So I took them back down - whew - it seems to randomize each level every time you enter it.

Finally the recall scroll kicked in and I was back in town to shop for CLW potions, but there are none in the store...

I though someone said they're always stocked.

Comment

• Petoften
          Knight
          • Jun 2018

Should I kill farmer maggot in town?

He's following saying he wants him mushrooms back and that I killed his dog.

I started to attack him but several hits didn't kill him and he's not attacking, so I stopped.

Comment

• Mondkalb
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Which version are you playing? CLW should always be in stock in the latest versions.

You can kill Farmer Maggot if you wish so. He may drop a useful item (or not ...).
            My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Petoften
              Knight
              • Jun 2018

This is 4.1.2. Wow, just looked at the dagger and its activate does 9d8 fire damage, recharhing in 9 to 16 turns.

Comment

• Petoften
                Knight
                • Jun 2018

No idea about the potion? I've put off the game hoping there's a way to get one as going back without that seems a bit dangerous.

Wonder if I should use a ring or amulet of slow digestion... I'm sure stuff is coming better for one slot or the other. Darn full inv.

Bought a scroll of enchant weapon for the named dagger.

Didn't work (enchantment failed)... Not allowed?

Comment

• luneya
                  Swordsman
                  • Aug 2015

I think 4.1.2 should have CLW potions always available. They're at the temple, not the alchemist.

Enchant weapon/armor can work on artifacts, but the fail rate is ridiculously high. It's better just to use the scrolls on something else--either your bow or some arrows in the ench weap case, or in the armor case, a useful ego armor such as boots of speed or sheld/armor of elvenkind. In addition to the artifact issue, fail rate increases with the level of existing enchantment; it's not worth trying to get any single item above +8 or so. Spread out your enchantments over everything that you expect to be keeping for a while.

Farmer Maggot takes a lot of hits to kill, but he can't do anything to you but run away, and he sometimes drops good stuff, so it's worth the effort. Try to pin him into a corner of the map. (Incidentally, he asks you what you did to his dogs even if you haven't actually killed them yet. The monster action code isn't that sophisticated.)

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

There is always CLW in the temple. But for the better potions, but them when you can. Later in the game, running out of CCW is disastrous. Slow digestion is a waste of time. Drop food whenever you run out of inventory space.

Comment

• Petoften
                      Knight
                      • Jun 2018

Slow digestion is a waste of time. Drop food whenever you run out of inventory space.
                      OK - that's another difference from Rogue, where food was a lot scarcer and it was important to avoid running out.

Comment

• Petoften
                        Knight
                        • Jun 2018

Deciding what to get rid of for inventory space for the heal potions (both light and serious are in the temple)...

Cold resist, boldness, neutralize poison, true seeing, see infrared, identify rune, phase door, magic mapping, treasure detection, satisfy hunger (I already dropped food), word of recall and blessing. Most likely to ditch seem to be mapping, blessing, and boldness?

Comment

• Mondkalb
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

Mapping can be very handy. Boldness and blessing are nearly useless for a mage. You probably won't need infrared.
                          My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Pondlife
                            Apprentice
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Petoften
                            Deciding what to get rid of for inventory space for the heal potions (both light and serious are in the temple)...

Cold resist, boldness, neutralize poison, true seeing, see infrared, identify rune, phase door, magic mapping, treasure detection, satisfy hunger (I already dropped food), word of recall and blessing. Most likely to ditch seem to be mapping, blessing, and boldness?
                            As a gnome, you already have infravision, so see infrared is of limited use for you .
                            Playing roguelikes on and off since 1984.
                            rogue, hack, moria, nethack, angband & zangband.

Comment

• Petoften
                              Knight
                              • Jun 2018

OK thanks - got rid of 3 - but got light/serious heal potions and a magic book so full again to get more magic books...

Maybe I should drop some wands/staves... hold/slow monster, light, wonder, detect invisible...

There are several books, not sure which ones I can use yet, or if I need to keep them in inventory to use the spells from them.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Slow digestion is a waste of time.
                                I don't entirely agree. Possibly because I played so many half-troll @'s, nearly all my @'s try and start out with an amulet of slow digestion. That may not be so important for other races, or for classes that can create food or satisfy hunger, but half-trolls get hungry quickly as a consequence of their innate regeneration.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎