Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petoften
    Knight
    • Jun 2018

Well that's lucky. I tried a warrior for the first time, a half troll, and at level 9 got another thank dagger - this one frost.

Soon after I got into trouble with an umber hulk and another mob that did confuse every hit so I couldn't hit them much or read scrolls but got them.

Comment

• Petoften
      Knight
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Philip
      You probably can't get a dump of that character any more, but just in case, try loading the savefile of the dead character and see if it allows you to see the character screen one last time and take the dump there.
      When I loaded the char again, it's a level 1.

Comment

• Petoften
        Knight
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        I don't think there are any "golden bird type" mobs. The only thing that might be close is Hummmerhorns, and with them,you have a much bigger problem than other monsters showing up. (Only possible escape is staff of teleportation.) Also: are you sure they were crows? Crebain come in mobs, and look similar, but their color changes between dark and lighter grey. That would explain
        A. The sudden appearance of darker birds
        B. Why they were able to kill you with so many hits. (They shriek, and haste everything in line of sight.)
        Just going by memory, that it seemed like I saw the golden bird and that after one hit there were three black birds right next to me.

Never heard of Crebain, but since I don't remember the names for sure, who knows. I think it was around dungeon level 8 if that helps.

Comment

• Petoften
          Knight
          • Jun 2018

Boy the warrior finds a lot of spellbooks. I think I saw 4 basic ones almost next to each other, and then non-basic books for mage and priest.

Comment

• Petoften
            Knight
            • Jun 2018

I'm not sure what 'runes' are; I haven't found any scrolls of identify, but have found scrolls of identify rune.

They don't seem to work on items like potions or other scrolls or wands or staves, though; it did identify a ring (took two scrolls?)

It's a 'ring of the mouse' (+0, -15) [+4, +3], I have to look up what the '-15' means again, whether that's AC, or food use, or what.

Figures that there was almost always a slow digestion item in the store, except when I made the half-troll.

Comment

• Petoften
              Knight
              • Jun 2018

The warrior sure seems to level fast. Guess that's his killing everything.

Comment

• Petoften
                Knight
                • Jun 2018

That Wormtongue servant of Saruman' was really hard to kill. Even with the named dagger and a couple 'really good hits' it took a lot of hits, and a few times where he'd steal something and disappear before I'd find him again - most things are one shotted.

Comment

• Petoften
                  Knight
                  • Jun 2018

Hm, looks like the ring has -15 damage, so not gonna use that.

Found armor (-1) [12, +5] time to look up those stats...

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Runes are attributes of equipment that grant a particular power or curse. Once you learn it on a piece of gear, you know it for all other gear just by looking.

Comment

• Petoften
                      Knight
                      • Jun 2018

Hm, just found a room full of monsters with my warrior. As soon as I get near the door I get blinded and feared. Drink light heals, blinded again.

Tempted to try to start killing them, but it seems pretty dangerous. They aren't following me out when I leave. Wonder if there's a way to do this.

My named dagger seems safest but I also got a 'sling of power' +10, +15 that might be good for just shooting into the room.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Probably a jelly pit. Just a whole lot of pain for no gain.

Comment

• Petoften
                          Knight
                          • Jun 2018

Any suggestion how to give it a try without getting stuck and killed?

My potion of boldness might help a little.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Try to limit how many monsters can see you -- don't stand directly in the doorway, try to pick off enemies with ranged attacks. Once you've killed everything you can see, try 'T'unneling out segments of wall so you can expose a small number of additional targets.

But it's really not worth it. You don't have enough ammo to kill even half the monsters with your sling, the monsters don't give great experience, and they have no drops.

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Whatever you do, don't melee molds and jellies until you're sufficiently familiar with them to know exactly which ones are okay to melee.
                              The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Petoften
                                Knight
                                • Jun 2018

Went ahead and cleared the room. They didn't do much damage, but damaged equipment. A few items but nothing very useful. Think I leveled twice

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎