X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
    Potentially, although it would only be useful between starting to need HL and finding a permanent source of it.
    The Restoration prayer would also render it largely obsolete.

Comment

• Voovus
      Adept
      • Feb 2018

That looks sensible. I do need to have a proper look at LoS.
      Only please don't fully eliminate asymmetric LoS. Currently, asymmetric LoS is only seriously abusive in conjuction with Stone-to-Mud (which is also responsible for pillar-dancing and antisummoning corridors).

It's fun to occasionally play a character who relies on intelligent positioning and use of terrain, rather than on a large supply of HP. Could shooting-from-behind-a-corner be turned into an intended tactic for some characters, e.g. rogues/rangers?

Comment

• kaypy
        Swordsman
        • May 2009

OK, a look at balance might be in order. Should mages keep their dmagae boost with attack wands?
        Wands arent so competitive for mages now that they are competing with double-speed casting...

Even boosted annihilation is less than two mana storms

High level wands are nice mana sources though...

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

For Single Combat, I have an alternative that I use for Summoners in PWMAngband which is the ability to... prevent summons. To avoid being a "win" button, the antisummoning field that is generated caps at 90%. In TomeNET, there's roughly the same feature, but it caps at 75%.
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Should mages keep their dmagae boost with attack wands?
            I don't think the damage is the issue. Wands never seem to blow. You can fit more charges in a pack full of wands then you have mana, so it's like fighting with unlimited mana. Your going to recharge it at the end why not casually use annihilition on the grey mushroom patch?

I guess there's a choice here. CPB has devices that recharge but just about everything else does more damage. Anything powerful enough for the serpent is rare & will be around 50% fail on something with a low device skill. It also takes actual mana to fast recharge rather then 4 sps. The old V the top wands blew if you used them on fluff. High damage, limited resource.

So what do we have currently? Spell competive damage for 0 sps, unlimited resource, cheap to recharge. Why bother being a swordsman or mage in a world of guns and heavy artillery?
            Last edited by wobbly; July 4, 2018, 03:23.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
              Prophet
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by wobbly
              I don't think the damage is the issue. Wands never seem to blow. You can fit more charges in a pack full of wands then you have mana, so it's like fighting with unlimited mana. Your going to recharge it at the end why not casually use annihilition on the grey mushroom patch?

I guess there's a choice here. CPB has devices that recharge but just about everything else does more damage. Anything powerful enough for the serpent is rare & will be around 50% fail on something with a low device skill. It also takes actual mana to fast recharge rather then 4 sps. The old V the top wands blew if you used them on fluff. High damage, limited resource.

So what do we have currently? Spell competive damage for 0 sps, unlimited resource, cheap to recharge. Why bother being a swordsman or mage in a world of guns and heavy artillery?
              This is a good point. TomeNET uses a "Magic Device" skill which you have to put points into if you want to use devices properly. If the skill is too low, you'll have really low chances (we talk about 1-2% here) to trigger the effect. So you have the device skill split into damage and accuracy. Unfortunately we don't have this point system in V, so I dont see how we could determine the accuracy rate of devices which wouldn't be based on stats or race/class.
              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Huqhox
                Adept
                • Apr 2016

Maybe it's as simple as each use of recharge (and maybe also tap charges) reduces the maximum charges a device can have by one, so eventually they run out. Then they become predictable finite resources, and would add some strategic play around them
                "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• Voovus
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2018

I quite like the new recharge that doesn't blow up wands, though I agree it's probably overpowered. As a alternative suggestion for a fix, how about making recharge give only 1 charge to a wand per cast, up to a maximum of (number of wands in stack)*(some function of magic device and wand level)? Then if you go into a fight with 3 wands of annihilation with, say, a total of 6 charges, you can freely use it 6 times, but after that have to recharge after every use, so that it loses 50% efficiency until the fight is over.

With the current setup, staves of Banishment, Speed and Magi should probably be removed, as they seem too powerful with access to the recharge spell. Perhaps replace them with stacks of corresponding scrolls/potions instead. (I've only tried it with rogue, and not with a mage.) Alternatively, increase the blow-up-when-recharged probability for staves. This would be a bit annoying for Magic Mapping, Teleportation and the like, though.

Comment

• kaypy
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2009

Small bug with necromancers:

The read minds spell is defined in terms of dice, wheras the read_minds effect in effects.c is set up for effect-yx.

Also, it doesnt seem that effect-yx can be defined in terms of expressions.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

OK, new builds for Windows and macOS up on the build page, source is here. Changes are:
                      • Update to include all changes to 4.1 master
                      • Fix by fizzix to stop occasional level generation crashes
                      • Allow high level spellcasters a saving throw against single combat
                      • Randomise the landing a bit for dimension door into vaults
                      • Make monsters more likely to notice item theft the heavier the item is

I still intend to remove sharp weapon and glove penalties; I'll probably keep blessing of weapons, and give priests and paladins some sort of slight advantage for using a blessed weapon. I also want to nerf shield bashes a bit, and make them available to classes other than blackguards.

Please remind me about other bugs that are unfixed (I haven't checked kaypy's read minds bug yet) and balance issues that remain outstanding. I'm aiming to get this to an OK state so that it can be pulled into master once 4.1.3 is released, and I can get on with player races, artifacts and monsters. How hard can it be?
                      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• mrfy
                        Swordsman
                        • Jul 2015

Please remind me about other bugs that are unfixed (I haven't checked kaypy's read minds bug yet) and balance issues that remain outstanding. I'm aiming to get this to an OK state so that it can be pulled into master once 4.1.3 is released, and I can get on with player races, artifacts and monsters. How hard can it be?
                        Adjustments to Rangers, they got nerfed too much.

Plus, I'm currently playing a level 50 Dunadan Blackguard. While not as easy as it was before, I am enjoying the characters fighting abilities. Please don't nerf it that much. I do find that I'm not using the spells much, if at all.

Comment

• Derakon
                          Prophet
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mrfy
                          Plus, I'm currently playing a level 50 Dunadan Blackguard. While not as easy as it was before, I am enjoying the characters fighting abilities. Please don't nerf it that much. I do find that I'm not using the spells much, if at all.
                          How would you say this blackguard compares to playing a similar warrior?

Comment

• mrfy
                            Swordsman
                            • Jul 2015

Originally posted by Derakon
                            How would you say this blackguard compares to playing a similar warrior?
                            Honestly, easier, the shield bash does help. I have a good set of equipment too. Stealth is quite bad though.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mrfy
                              Honestly, easier, the shield bash does help. I have a good set of equipment too. Stealth is quite bad though.
                              ...not that warrior stealth is all that great either. Still sounds like there's an awful lot of overlap between the two classes.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

How's this for an odd, difficult to reproduce bug, well two bugs actually. In an orb vault, @ paladin meets up with Huan and chooses to fight him in "Single Combat" to avoid fighting multiple monsters at once that were gathering behind. Defeating Huan, @ finds himself teleported out of the vault to the other side of the dungeon... right next to Carcaroth! Not to be dissuaded by this odd teleporting bug, @ chooses to fight Carcaroth in "Single Combat" as well, to negate his Hound summons. @ defeats Carcaroth as well, but this time @ is left stuck in the Single Combat arena. The monster is dead and @ is relegated to spend eternity in the vault, or until he dies from starvation.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎