• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nick
    ... with the following changes:
    • Double values of extra shots appearing on egos and standarts, and ranger shot bonus - still about half what they were before;
    • Changes to blows calculations, the interesting bits being:
      • Druids, necros and blackguards get 5 blows max;
      • Strength multipliers (which affect how quickly the class gets more blows) are: Mage - 2; Priest, Druid, Necro - 3; Rogue, Ranger - 4; Warrior, Paladin, Blackguard - 5;
      • Rogues minimum weapon weight for blows calculations is now 2 pounds, so they can get more blows by using light weapons; blackguards' minimum is 10 pounds, so they may as well use heavy weapons;
      • Starting weapons have been changed to be more sensible in line with the above changes;
    • Necro penalty for being on a lit square is now the same as the priest's sharp weapon penalty;
    • Class hitdice are now: Mage - 0; Druid, Priest, Necro - 2; Rogue - 4; Ranger - 5; Paladin - 6; Blackguard - 7; Warrior - 9.
    Suicided my feature branch Necromancer. Played on angband.live. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21614

Not willing to grind to CL50 just for hps and hope of a great extra blows weapon. New build supposedly resolves some of the problems. I'll wait for the comp and Gwarl's update of angband.live.

42d level, max Con, + 7 Con gear, and still only 566 hps. Pick of Erebor still better than going in darkness, because of it's Con bonus.

In addition, 42d level, max Str and Max Dex, lot's of pluses to damage, and Erebor only gives 256 vs. acid, and 185 vs. others. Absolutely pathetic fighting, even with maxed stats, reasonably high level, and good damage bonuses.

Just looking at the numbers Nick has given for the new build, it might resolve some of the problem, though I have my doubts about the mage. At least a druid will finally have a starting weapon and Necro Con malus might be more reasonable.

I'd like to see a comparison of the numbers with current Vanilla. Comparing the class.txt file of Vanilla, the hit dice look reasonable - a slight improvement for rangers and moving rogues to just below rangers rather than two dice better. Necros and druids comparable with priests. Blackguards a few behind warriors. Yes, the hit dice make sense to me. The attack multipliers also look in line. Not sure what minimum weapon weight comparison is, as I don't see it in the edit files of Vanilla.

On the Necro Con/Spell malus - I forsee a couple more issues:

Door jamb light. - Each lighted room (even including town shops) has door jamb light (i.e., light that spills into the corridor). When @ steps on the spot just outside the room, @ is in the light. For a Necro to avoid the sudden drop in hps or increase in spell failure rate, @ must cast darkness twice - once to kill the door jamb light before stepping outside the room, and once to kill the light in the room (and perversely, if not double cast, @ has a worse chance of casting darkness). Not noticeable at lower CLs, but at the end-game, a sudden drop in Con or spell failure just for stepping outside a lighted room will result in a significant loss of hps that have to be regained by healing or regeneration over time or an admittedly less lengthy, but still potentially deadly, failure rate.

"Blessed" or Blunt vs. Light. - Unlike priests, that have access to blessed or blunt weapons and suddenly have no spell failure malus, light is ubiquitous. Many of the artifact weapons have light. Many monsters generate light. Light is all over in the terrain and dungeon. Not sure of the solution. Perhaps a mid-level spell buff - "Light Immunity"? What about scrolls, staves, and spells of Darkness also giving a timed light immunity? Or, what about no Con or spell failure malus to a Necro if they have rLight covered? One or more of these solutions, or others. I like the last proposed solution best.

Edits: Compared Vanilla edit files regarding hit dice, blows, attack multiplier, (but not min weapon weight?); talked about Con OR spell failure rate (don't know which malus will eventually win out); some grammar corrections.
    Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; May 13, 2018, 20:46.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

A couple bugs:

Double-clicking save file used to open the app and game, but now get a “Too many (404) object kinds!” error message. However, can still open the save file by launching the app and using Cmd-O to open the file.

Class.txt descriptions of *attack* - the line is not used, but is instead now divided into separate lines of their own. Also min-weight doesn’t track - pounds? Is it weight of weapon? Is it weight carried in pack and on body at which point @ will start to suffer degradation of to-hit ability (I thought it was the latter). Certainly the number doesn’t track to weapon weight.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        Double-clicking save file used to open the app and game, but now get a “Too many (404) object kinds!” error message. However, can still open the save file by launching the app and using Cmd-O to open the file.
        That's just weird.

Class.txt descriptions of *attack* - the line is not used, but is instead now divided into separate lines of their own. Also min-weight doesn’t track - pounds? Is it weight of weapon? Is it weight carried in pack and on body at which point @ will start to suffer degradation of to-hit ability (I thought it was the latter). Certainly the number doesn’t track to weapon weight.
        Thanks, missed the description.

Min-weight is for use in the strength calculation for blows calculation, which is
        Code:
        strength_value * strength_multiplier / weight
        where
        • strength_value is from a table (climbs slowly to 20 at STR 18, and then goes up by 10 for every point (ie 18/10, 18/20, ...) of strength)
        • strength-multiplier is as in class.txt, and is basically a fudge to decide which classes progress in blows faster
        • weight is the weapon weight or min-weight, whichever is larger.

The resulting value (capped at 11) is then used as an index into the blows table (a table for DEX is the other index). I sometimes feel that simplifying these calculations would be a worthy goal...

This should explain some of the changes - rogues start with a dagger because it actually stands to give them more blows, mages get a rapier because anything lighter is a waste, ditto blackguards for getting a cutlass.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Nick -

I think you are trying something that is impossible, that is fitting in characters with better melee and worse spell damage than the mage in the early/mid game. This results in grindy melee becoming the best option, both for druid and for necromancer.

As it stands, the mage spell damage is of bare minimum to make it more worthwhile than mage melee. Increasing melee or reducing spellcasting even by a little will result in melee becoming the best option.

If you really want to go that route, you need to either nerf melee over the board or increase mage spell damage, to create a window where druid and necro can sit.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Min-weight is for use in the strength calculation for blows calculation....
            Makes sense, even though the description in class.txt is opaque. It's interesting to me how things I long believed turn out to be completely wrong. Where is encumbrance determined then? I always thought it was part of the class.txt file. What determines that "the weight of your armour encumbers your movement"? Is it just strength? I always thought the warrior was not encumbered as quickly as the mage, even with equivalent strengths, and always thought it had to do with the min-weight value.

By the way, any thoughts about my remaining foreseen light malus issues expressed up-thread in my ante-penultimate post?

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Why would you give less HP to rogue than rangers? The rogue is a melee class!

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Estie
                Nick -

I think you are trying something that is impossible, that is fitting in characters with better melee and worse spell damage than the mage in the early/mid game. This results in grindy melee becoming the best option, both for druid and for necromancer.

As it stands, the mage spell damage is of bare minimum to make it more worthwhile than mage melee. Increasing melee or reducing spellcasting even by a little will result in melee becoming the best option.

If you really want to go that route, you need to either nerf melee over the board or increase mage spell damage, to create a window where druid and necro can sit.
                I think the same argument as you make for druids and necromancers can be made for priests. So my answer is the same as it would be for priests - they need to use melee, but supported by spells. So where priests use buffs and healing, druids use monster status and shapechanging. Necros should be using "dark arts"; I agree that their early/mid game spells need some work.

In short, mages are really the only class with spells only as an option; the other "pure casters" will need some melee at at least some point in the game. I like the way you have been talking recently about phases of the game for different classes - I hope that the new classes are converging to having sensible play patterns.

Where is encumbrance determined then? I always thought it was part of the class.txt file. What determines that "the weight of your armour encumbers your movement"? Is it just strength? I always thought the warrior was not encumbered as quickly as the mage, even with equivalent strengths, and always thought it had to do with the min-weight value.
                Encumbrance for reducing mana is determined by the "spell weight" in the magic line in class.txt; weight effects on speed depend only on strength.

By the way, any thoughts about my remaining foreseen light malus issues expressed up-thread in my ante-penultimate post?
                I think RLight would be the way to go if we were doing a fix, although I also kind of like the idea that necros just need to always consider light as in issue (at least until they get strong enough that the failure rate penalty goes away). I think a decision on that should wait for some more playtesting.

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                Why would you give less HP to rogue than rangers? The rogue is a melee class!
                The rogue was a melee class

Seriously, I think if you want to focus on melee, warrior, paladin or blackguard are the classes to play. Ranger and rogue both have decent melee, but rely also on stealth other things (archery and "woodcraft" for rangers, theft and trickery for rogues). As to which gets more HP - I think it's kind of a toss-up.

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

Well, the priest gets glorious orb which is good enough to make me replace a damage weapon with a wisdom one to maximize its effectiveness. If it isnt already, the druids combat shape can perceivably fill a similar role, but what in the arsenal of the necromancer have you intended to be that phase-defining ability ?

Also, I find the necromancer lacking in late game power. Vampire shape is not very safe to use because of the inbuild hp loss; more often than not ive gotten myself into more trouble than I had been in if I had just used straightforward melee.

I would suggest making the spell more effective that increases damage on low hp foes (forgot the name). Not "a little more damage than before", but rather "take off the last 3 stars of any monster regardless of its hps". That would be something worthwhile to look forward to during the grind, while still requiring the painful routine for Morgoth or other bosses for the first 70%. And I mean stars, so you can immediately see when you should use it.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Encumbrance for reducing mana is determined by the "spell weight" in the magic line in class.txt; weight effects on speed depend only on strength.
                    Doesn't weight also have an affect on to-hit chances? Not only the [-#] of certain armour, but when player gets a message, "The weight of your armour encumbers your movement." Even though speed is unaffected. That's not just spell casters mana, is it? What is that encumbrance, if not on to-hit?

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

Just spellcaster mana.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

It's interesting to me how things I long believed turn out to be completely wrong.
                        At least you're not the maintainer...

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Another slight update, fixing prices for extra shots items. Builds for Windows and macOS are on the build page, source is here.

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

And another update, with some tweaks to blackguards (removing permanent CON drain and shortening confusion as bloodlust side-effects).

Windows and macOS builds are on the build page, source here.

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

Another small update, this time with a bugfix to recharging from Ighalli, plus incorporation of some changes to master. Windows and macOS builds on the build page, source here.

Comment

• wobbly
                                Prophet
                                • May 2012

Started playing everyone's favourite nature lover the half-orc druid. Stated for melee. Initial thoughts: I had no trouble getting off the bat reaching lvl 2 on the first kill (a cutpure on dlvl 2) using 1 !clw. I was able to sneak up to the !clw stack near them in fox form quite easily but you need to change back to pick it up. Seems fun played as a rogue. The messages were a little confusing as to whether I actually picked it up & I pressed g again thinking it was on the ground

Edit: Lvl 3, 2nd kill - a kobold & reaches stinking cloud. Well the early game works, lets hope for something good later
                                Edit: Lvl 4, 3rd kill - Grip. Are druids meant to be melee? Seems to resemble an odd version of a rogue. spells from lvl 1 too
                                Last edited by wobbly; May 20, 2018, 17:02.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎