Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Development takes time, and more importantly, interest and energy. Nick and the other devs all donate theirs to the game, the least we can do is be gracious about it.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Successfully ran a Dunadan Druid through to killing Morgoth. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21601

I think the Druid class needs some more tweaks. No starting weapon or launcher is a problem. Shape-changing was essentially useless compared to @'s regular combat by the time the spells were viable. The lack of utility spells, forcing device reliance, is okay, but probably has gone too far. An earlier attempt also had a severe HP shortage, barely crossing 400 hps at CL 43 with maxed Con, but this run-through didn't have as much of a problem.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
        Successfully ran a Dunadan Druid through to killing Morgoth. http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=21601

I think the Druid class needs some more tweaks. No starting weapon or launcher is a problem. Shape-changing was essentially useless compared to @'s regular combat by the time the spells were viable. The lack of utility spells, forcing device reliance, is okay, but probably has gone too far. An earlier attempt also had a severe HP shortage, barely crossing 400 hps at CL 43 with maxed Con, but this run-through didn't have as much of a problem.
        Thanks, I'm hoping too get back to this before too long.
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

angband-4.1.2-168-gaa672ce06 has serious speed issues. With delay set to 0 (my standard setting), the play is bumpy and unreactive

Is this known issue or just me ?

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

unfortunately, it's not you. here's hoping nick will release a non laggy build prior to him nerfing the blackguard.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• AnonymousHero
              Veteran
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Sky
              unfortunately, it's not you. here's hoping nick will release a non laggy build prior to him nerfing the blackguard.
              Please don't be passive-aggresive. As has already been pointed out this is a volunteer effort and you're not helping. (If anything, you's hindering.)

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                Please don't be passive-aggresive. As has already been pointed out this is a volunteer effort and you're not helping. (If anything, you's hindering.)
                That's OK, I'd rather people on the forum complaining than not playing.

I've just done some fixes to master that I want to let sit for a bit, so I might actually get back to this branch actually soon.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                  Fair enough, though I was thinking more of the "passive aggressive" bit, rather than the "complaining" bit.

(Being passive-aggressive never helps over just being straightforward, IME.)

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                    Fair enough, though I was thinking more of the "passive aggressive" bit, rather than the "complaining" bit.

(Being passive-aggressive never helps over just being straightforward, IME.)
                    Nice work, bad cop

Comment

• Sphara
                      Knight
                      • Oct 2016

I know you're on hiatus for working the feature branch but for me it's unplayable. Something is wrong with player AC/monster melee and it breaks the game

Brodda, the Easterling misses you. <21x>
                      Brodda, the Easterling hits you.
                      Brodda, the Easterling misses you. <10x>
                      Brodda, the Easterling misses you. <2x>
                      Brodda, the Easterling misses you. <21x>

^ 38 AC, just holding down ',' key and barely taking damage against the most dangerous melee opponent of the early game.

I KNOW I've mentioned this earlier but when you get back working on the branch, this should be the first thing to investigate.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2007

Nice work, bad cop
                        Hey, I resemble that remark!

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

I vaguely remember this bug may have already been reported for the feature branch: when @ throws something (e.g., throwing an arrow), monster gets three moves to @'s one, or @ is frozen in place for some time, or some such thing, is happening.
                          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Finally, new builds on this branch for Windows and macOS now up on the build page - source zipfile is here.

This build incorporates the bugfixes and tweaks to 4.1.2 (including the trap reduction), and also (I hope) fixes the slowdown reported by several people. Please let me know if that is actually fixed.

Comment

• Estie
                              Veteran
                              • Apr 2008

Gear object mismatch & Bolt~ - please report

Hereby done - want savefile ?

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Estie
                                Gear object mismatch & Bolt~ - please report

Hereby done - want savefile ?
                                Please, and I might have some questions for you once I've looked at it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎