X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

+1 to what Derakon has said.
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Egavactip
      Swordsman
      • Mar 2012

To each his own. By the endgame, I typically have bunches of healing to carry around with anyway, since the stash is full, not to mention the occasional staff or two. Plus the usual rods of healing you accumulate in the endgame (though I don't think I've ever had a character get more than 8 or 9 rods of healing). And often one or more artifact healing abilities, too, not to mention the 40 CCW I will have (and the ability to phase door away and heal up with them, in many situations). My last win, posted a day or two ago, had an endgame character with 2 rods of healing (a bit low), 1 quick artifact *healing*, as well as the usual short stack of healing. Unless he was running into multiple big-ass uniques in a row, he was not exactly hurting for medicine.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Egavactip--
        You aren't responding to the real point here: Keep the first few healing pots in your pack ad a matter of use or lose (in case you run into a dangerous situation.) Everything you just said emphasizes this: If you start stashing early, you end up with more than you could possibly use vs M. I don't start stashing til I've got 4 or 5.

Comment

• Egavactip
          Swordsman
          • Mar 2012

As I said in my original post on the matter, I will use a healing potion that I have found if I need it to survive or if I see a unique or something juicy I can take out. So much of the time I am in the dungeon, once healing potions start appearing regularly, I am likely to have one or more on me, even before the end game, when I carry around surplus.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

The discussion has become a bit theoretical I think. From my own games, I usually end up stashing the first !*heal* I find, simply because I tend to find them while still at low maximum health (maybe around 400), so a !*heal* doesnt do more than a !heal. By the time I have enough health for !*heal* to be worthwhile, I usually have a stack at home, but it still competes with other safety measures for inventory space, and I might end up not carrying any down at recall. For example, I might prefer a stack of !csw in addition zo !ccw, if the latter arent plentifull. While they dont fill up health completely, they are excellent at curing ailments multiple times and if I am in a situation where I want a !*heal*, I still have other options like activating teleport or reading *destruction*.

However, if I , say, run out of normal !heals and have !*heals* at home, I most certainly take some down with me.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
              Adept
              • Feb 2013

Half-Troll Warrior Ironman Update

Ticking along quite nicely in the DL20s, up to CL25 got Forsagil so doing a fair bit of damage, but equipment management is a real ball-ache, what to keep? what to chuck? There's a lot to be said for casters having 1 spellbook that covers detections, light, phase door etc.

What do I really need at this level? Staves of light? Staves of detect? Curing? Stone to mud for cracking vaults?

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                Adept
                • Feb 2013

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Copy/paste from comments I made on the ladder:

You can probably ditch CLW, Heroism, Berserk Strength. You'll get innate pFear in another 5 levels at which point you can definitely ditch Heroism/Berserk Strength but in the interim if you get frightened, just shoot things with your bow (and find a better bow ). Curing rod/staff is probably not very helpful because your magic device skill is bad and gets even worse when you're blind/confused/poisoned.

Amulet is junk, stone to mud is probably junk (try digging through granite with Forasgil; you might be surprised). Ring of Acid is junk; you'd be better off with more arrows. Speaking of, bolts and shots are junk; only carry ammo you can use. Narthanc is junk.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Ditch the *thanc, CLW, and !Berserk. Keep !Hero til Cl 30. It's not really useful as a warrior. (As priest it's a different story.)
                    curing is better than nothing. Works fine on blind/poison. Not so well for conf/stun. Use pots if you are in a bind on those, or better still, _Teleport before it happens. _Tele is more important in ironman, since healing pots are less common.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2013

Cheers for the tips, got a bit more backpack space now.

Picked up a robe of permanence and shield of resist so got the basics covered, along with sound and free action, still no poison resist though, when am I gonna start meeting the gas breathers?

Currently in the high DL 20s, clearing most levels to get good loot, rather than diving fast. Fights aren't really that challenging right now, when do I get fear resist? CL30? Is that right?

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
                        Cheers for the tips, got a bit more backpack space now.

Picked up a robe of permanence and shield of resist so got the basics covered, along with sound and free action, still no poison resist though, when am I gonna start meeting the gas breathers?

Currently in the high DL 20s, clearing most levels to get good loot, rather than diving fast. Fights aren't really that challenging right now, when do I get fear resist? CL30? Is that right?
                        Warriors get protection from fear at clvl 30, yes.

Drolems and AMHDs are the first really big gas breathers, and they don't show up for awhile yet. They're native to dlvls 44 and 43, respectively, but they're also both really rare, so I'm honestly not that fussed if I don't have poison resist by those depths. Just try to hang onto any sources of it you do find.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                          Adept
                          • Feb 2013

Ok cool, just found "Careth Asdriag" it rocks.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                            Adept
                            • Feb 2013

Comment

• nic
                              Rookie
                              • Nov 2010

How hard to kill Morgoth?

Not so hard, actually.
                              If you managed to get to level 100, you have most of what you need.

You will need:

+ Phase door -scrolls
                              when he brings som friends, you should make sure not to fight them all
                              at the same time

+ 6+ rods of teleport monster (or spell book)
                              to get rid of Morgoth friends

+ Scrolls of *Destruction*
                              if Morgoth brings friends, teleport away Morgoth and *Destroy* his friends.

+ 10+ (*Heal* and/ or Life)
                              + 10+ Healing potions

+ Speed 30 or more

Stay above 600 HP at all times. if you have 646 Heal is enough,
                              but I'd drink a *Heal* at 555...

And... play slowly.

Good luck!

/nic

Comment

• PowerDiver
                                Prophet
                                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by nic
                                + Scrolls of *Destruction*
                                if Morgoth brings friends, teleport away Morgoth and *Destroy* his friends.
                                That's if the friends you fear are non-uniques. If there are a lot of dangerous uniques nearby, then destructing them is a mistake because it allows M to summon them again. It may be better to teleport self and hope M can find you but the uniques cannot.

Only do this once if you do it at all. Random teleportation on a level full of nasties is a very bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎