Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scraper
    Apprentice
    • Mar 2011

You will want to beware of hounds at these deep levels, they really ramp up in difficulty compared to the early hounds. A small pack of dangerous hounds in a large room can easily kill a close to end game character. In particular look out for Time hounds, Gravity hounds and impact hounds to a lesser degree.

Hellhounds and plasma hounds can also wreck your consumables, so be careful with them too.

Any high level casters that I have ever played (haven't won with one yet) just about banish Z the moment I enter a level. Best of luck with this run.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Plasma hounds can kill you too if you teleport into a room full of them without stun protection. I lost an early promising character that way, back in the day. Teleport self is just extremely dangerous by dl 50. Carry a couple scrolls of tele level and/or *destruction*, just in case.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
        Adept
        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Pete Mack
        Plasma hounds can kill you too if you teleport into a room full of them without stun protection. I lost an early promising character that way, back in the day. Teleport self is just extremely dangerous by dl 50. Carry a couple scrolls of tele level and/or *destruction*, just in case.
        Yeah, met a pack of them on the way into the vault where I met Saruman, they do serious damage, does fire resist help against plasma?

Found plenty of CON potions so up to 726HP now, breathing more easily.

Found the ring of Barahir but i've found it's not that useful as most important stats are maxed or nearly maxed now.

With the Glaive of Pain I'm getting 4.5 blows and it says I'll get 5 with +1 DEX can I only get that +1 from another item as my stats are maxed from potions?

Comment

• Carnivean
          Knight
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
          Yeah, met a pack of them on the way into the vault where I met Saruman, they do serious damage, does fire resist help against plasma?

Found plenty of CON potions so up to 726HP now, breathing more easily.

Found the ring of Barahir but i've found it's not that useful as most important stats are maxed or nearly maxed now.

With the Glaive of Pain I'm getting 4.5 blows and it says I'll get 5 with +1 DEX can I only get that +1 from another item as my stats are maxed from potions?
          Resist fire will help reduce the fire damage, but it won't prevent stunning, which is the main threat from plasma.

Stats give extra bonuses up to 18/200. You can't reach that from increasing your base stats without changing one of the birth options. You can stack equipment bonuses beyond that, but won't get any further benefit. As you descend you'll get better equipment to give you more ways to increase your stats, so at some point you'll be able to wield the GOP with your max blows.

Comment

• Bogatyr
            Knight
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Carnivean
            Resist fire will help reduce the fire damage, but it won't prevent stunning, which is the main threat from plasma.

Stats give extra bonuses up to 18/200. You can't reach that from increasing your base stats without changing one of the birth options. You can stack equipment bonuses beyond that, but won't get any further benefit. .
            Not quite true. Spell fail rates continue to fall between 18/200 up to 18/220 (***).

Comment

• robbiodobbio
              Adept
              • Feb 2013

Just took my vengeance on Kavlax for the death of my last Kobold Rogue. Keeping the Glaive at home for now until I get its to hit a bit higher, taking harradakket for a spin instead.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                Adept
                • Feb 2013

Shit just got real. Met Glaurung and Ungoliant on the same level. After an epic battle I scraped by against Ungoliant and she dropped "Doomcaller" what are your thoughts on this weapon? Obviously it does massive damage but is it worth if for the AC loss and the aggravation?

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                  Adept
                  • Feb 2013

Glaurung also met his maker, he was surprisingly easy, Ungoliant on the other hand, that was a looong battle, used all my potions, I was down to about 200HP and she still had 2 red blobs but I kept my nerve and she ran away so lit her up with bolts of flame.

Also found Tensers Transformations, it's full of all the enchantment spells! Is there a catch here? Is my glaive of pain just going to explode if I try to enchant the s*** out of it myself?

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                    Adept
                    • Feb 2013

One more thing, just found some deep descent scrolls, currently on dl73, good idea or not?

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Doomcaller is a good weapon. Would probably not use it for just wandering around. Would certainly use it against big uniques and bosses. If you can kill Ungoliant, you can kill Sauron. She has more HP. (You will probably want to use an anti summoning corridor)

Deep descent is a fine idea. Get down to dl 99 and win. You can use create stairs too.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Rob--just looked at the ladder. That char is strong enough for Sauron if you use "Trickery and Doomcaller. (Use spell to offset armor penalty.) You really need a better speed ring. They are native to dl 75 so one should turn up if you just start going down stairs.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                          Adept
                          • Feb 2013

Took a deep descent down to the 80s and it's a whole different ballgame down here, so many stat drainers.

I've got ring of Barahir which gives +1 to everything so I get more HP and SP and an extra blow with the Glaive of Pain but overall damage is lower with less blows than with my +12 damage ring. Which is better?

Comment

• Carnivean
                            Knight
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
                            One more thing, just found some deep descent scrolls, currently on dl73, good idea or not?
                            There's not a lot of difference between 73 and 98 in terms of danger, but in terms of loot, 98 wins hands down. Head down there, avoid dangerous situations that could get out of hand, and enjoy the extra loot.

Don't put Doomcaller on near a pit or vault unless you are in a position to fight them all in a row.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Carnivean
                              Don't put Doomcaller on near a pit or vault unless you are in a position to fight them all in a row.
                              Nitpick: monsters in pits are always awake. Otherwise this is excellent advice.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                                Adept
                                • Feb 2013

Managed to clear out a greater vault, accidentally equipped "Doomcaller" and everyone went for me but managed to ride it out.

Found a new ring of speed +12, up to +20 Fast unhasted now.

How many uniques are there? I'm finding at least 3 or 4 on every level now, killing them pretty quickly, just wondering if they're going to start thinning out soon.

Still no artefact bow so far, holding out for something better than my crossbow of extra shots.

Everyone's always talking about the pillar dance technique, anyone care to explain?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎