Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Matter of taste. Max gas damage is 800, nether 550 (actually 510 until Nightcrawlers, late in the game.) But With regen, you can probably keep the temp resistance spell going continuously. (I'd use trickery with Evenstar as a swap.)
    Originally posted by robbiodobbio
    Amulet of trickery (+3 speed, nexus + gas) or Evenstar (life force sustain + nether + dark + regen)?

Comment

• robbiodobbio
      Adept
      • Feb 2013

Ok, I'm now on level 40, diving to DL 60. I'm finding most things pretty easy to kill as I've got fast+15 now and aglarang doing 6 blows per round 378 damage to anyone and a heavy crossbow of extra shots which takes down most monsters pretty quickly.

I'm thinking of doing some serious diving now, which monsters should I be on the look out for? I've only got HP 457 which seems pretty low, what can 1 hit kill me? Should I be constantly spamming the resistance spell? I've found a helmet and an amulet of ESP but to wear them I have to lose either some speed or some important resists. Not sure what to do. I'll put an update on the ladder.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
        Adept
        • Feb 2013

Latest dump:

Comment

• Bogatyr
          Knight
          • Feb 2014

The ring of free action is a waste of a precious (haha) ring slot. Thorin gives you FA already. You CON is low, I'd find the biggest CON ring I could and wear it instead. Also, if you wear Thror you'd get more CON and you speed would remain at +10 permanent. When diving, HP are more important than permanent speed as long as you can't get double-moved by anything. You have haste spell so use it to keep your speed high. Speed and CON (for HP) are more important than covering all resists, so you can survive the single attacks. But beware some of the huge breathers.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
            Adept
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bogatyr
            The ring of free action is a waste of a precious (haha) ring slot. Thorin gives you FA already. You CON is low, I'd find the biggest CON ring I could and wear it instead. Also, if you wear Thror you'd get more CON and you speed would remain at +10 permanent. When diving, HP are more important than permanent speed as long as you can't get double-moved by anything. You have haste spell so use it to keep your speed high. Speed and CON (for HP) are more important than covering all resists, so you can survive the single attacks. But beware some of the huge breathers.
            Thanks for the advice.

Didn't spot the double free action, only just got the Thorin shield.

If I wear thror and thorin I'll have -2 stealth. How much difference will that make in terms of waking sleeping monsters up?

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Rogue gets free point of stealth every 10 levels so not too bad. Also, faster you move, less time monsters have to wake up.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                Adept
                • Feb 2013

So it's better to have fast +9 and 527HP than fast +16 and 466HP?

Comment

• Bogatyr
                  Knight
                  • Feb 2014

That's a close call. You want more CON: you need to max it out (18/200) in order to dive more safely. I generally don't breath easier until I have 650HP or more. There are +20 speed baddies when you get down deeper ("very quickly") and you don't want to face them at less than +20 unless they don't breath/have no strong spell attacks, and you fight from a distance.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Yes. 510 is a big break point--max unresisted dracolich nether damage. (533 is another-max single resist l damage.)

Comment

• krazyhades
                      Swordsman
                      • Jun 2013

Yeesh...that's a decent chunk of hitpoints you stand to gain but I still strongly lean towards favoring the speed, because there are a lot of monsters with +10 or +15 base speed, and +16 means those guys will never double move you unless they are hasted or you are slowed by a status effect, plus if you haste yourself you'll be faster than the +20 speed monsters, which are some of the nastiest (again assuming no monster hasted or player slowed shenanigans). Plus getting spiked by a high-damage-roll double-turn from a monster you've chosen to melee, especially when you've been baited in by it rolling low on its single-move turns, is a really good way to feel like an idiot.

It's also worth remembering that it is still possible to be temporarily slowed -10 by some status effects if fail your saving throw, and that some monsters can cast haste on themselves. If you're careful and able to see a monster that's faster than you from out of LOS (usually via telepathy), you can actually watch its movement to see when it gets a doublemove, which is the safest time to peek it (e.g. to use teleport other), because it will still be building up extra energy on you towards its next double. Of course, practicing to get the hang of this trick can be dangerous...

edit: yeah Pete makes a good point about the nether threshold to avoid that can 1HKO you but I personally think the bigger risk comes from double-moves until you get a feel for when monsters get their extra turns...there are a *lot* of monsters that can 2HKO you in a doublemove. With high speed you can avoid engaging the nether breathers...but of course one failure to do so can cost you the game.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                        Adept
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                        Yes. 510 is a big break point--max unresisted dracolich nether damage. (533 is another-max single resist l damage.)
                        Just met my first one of those, it took me down to 150HP in one breath because I've got some nether resistance, it was still pretty scary though.

CON potions seem to be pretty thin on the ground, keep finding plenty of DEX and STR now I've maxed those two out, sod's law.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                          Adept
                          • Feb 2013

Just killed Saruman and found the Glaive of Pain, is this an end-game weapon?

Comment

• krazyhades
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2013

Yeah, the glaive can definitely go all the way. You might still find some upgrade but it would just be a luxury.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

It qualifies, for sure. It is also one of the very best weapons for killing Maiar (the others being Deathwreaker and MoD+2 attacks.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2009

Yes, but it is better in the hands of some than others. For warriors it is amazing, since they have 6 blows. For mages, less so, since it's heavy and they max out at 4 blows (for a mage, an extra attacks ego weapon will often outperform the Glaive). In any event, you will want to use ?Enchant to Hit and ?*Enchant Weapon* to make the Glaive more effective, getting its To-Hit bonus up as high as +15.
                                “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                                ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎