X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by robbiodobbio
    Mushrooms of vigor, I assumed that they swapped stats too. Do they just replenish drained stats?
    Yes, but there's no "just" about it -- Vigor is the most reliable way to restore drained stats. It's worth saving every one you find in case you have a bad run-in with Time Hounds or something.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
      Adept
      • Feb 2013

Had a hairy moment with an ancient white dragon, barely escaped.

What are your thoughts on tackling vaults? I've got the "you feel there are valuable treasures here"(sic) thing, then found a vault stuffed full of really tough monsters. I've tried to fight them a couple of times and had to beat a hasty retreat.

Does the "feeling" mean there's a particularly good artefact?

Do artefacts regenerate? I mean, if I recalled out of a level where Ringil was just lying on the floor (I don't think this has actually happened), is it lost forever?

Just one more thing, what's the fail rate on trying to enchant weapons and armour? Whenever I try to enchant any of my ego or artefact items the enchantment fails.

Cheers

Comment

• robbiodobbio
        Adept
        • Feb 2013

Found a staff of speed, tried to recharge it...... it backfired

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Found a staff of speed, tried to recharge it...... it backfired
          The RNG giveth, the RNG taketh away... all hail, the RNG....
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

What are your thoughts on tackling vaults? I've got the "you feel there are valuable treasures here"(sic) thing, then found a vault stuffed full of really tough monsters. I've tried to fight them a couple of times and had to beat a hasty retreat.
            Tackle vaults only if you feel like you're able to handle them. They're strictly optional.

Does the "feeling" mean there's a particularly good artefact?
            No. The level feeling system is based on the "value" of items on the floor of the level. Artifacts tend to be valuable, but there's plenty of other things that can make for a good level feeling.

Do artefacts regenerate? I mean, if I recalled out of a level where Ringil was just lying on the floor (I don't think this has actually happened), is it lost forever?
            The only way to permanently lose an artifact is to discard it after having learned its name. If you never picked Ringil up, you're safe.

Just one more thing, what's the fail rate on trying to enchant weapons and armour? Whenever I try to enchant any of my ego or artefact items the enchantment fails.
            It's a sliding scale. Enchanting a +0 item is easy, enchanting a +14 item is incredibly difficult (tiny fraction of a percent chance of success), enchanting a +15 item is flat-out impossible. People usually stop at around +10 or so.

As for recharging, only try to recharge items when they're at 0 charges. It doesn't guarantee success, but it improves your odds substantially.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
              Adept
              • Feb 2013

The shops are a bit crap these days, keep surfacing when I run out of healing potions only to find that there's none in the shop.

Just had a run in with the ant queen, put on quite a bit of XP from just massacring her summoned minions.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                Adept
                • Feb 2013

Just blew up another useful wand!

Is there a higher chance of this happening with the spell "lesser recharging" than a scroll?

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

*Much* higher. Don't use the spell unless you are desperate, on a low-level object. (Staff of teleportation is the main use.)

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2008

Just blew up another useful wand!

Is there a higher chance of this happening with the spell "lesser recharging" than a scroll?
                    Rechagring has a "power" value, which is something like 5 for "lesser", 40 for scroll/priest spell and 100 for "greater". Basically use scrolls, unless you're a mage with Greater Recharging.
                    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

Recharge Scroll is 50
                      Priest spell is cl+20
                      Mage lesser is cl/5 + 2 (ouch)
                      Mage greater is cl +50

If you have a question about spells, look at class.txt. In V, it is completely readable (unlike most variants.)

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                        Adept
                        • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                        Recharge Scroll is 50
                        Priest spell is cl+20
                        Mage lesser is cl/5 + 2 (ouch)
                        Mage greater is cl +50

If you have a question about spells, look at class.txt. In V, it is completely readable (unlike most variants.)
                        Sorry but what does that all mean? is 50 a 50% fail rate?

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                          Adept
                          • Feb 2013

What's the penalty for encumbered movement from heavy armour? Just found some dwarven plate mail that gives +2STR and +2CON. It says the weight encumbers me but I haven't lost any blows per round. STR is a bit drained at the moment.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Sorry but what does that all mean? is 50 a 50% fail rate?
                            It's a "power level", which is compared to the level of the item plus a random factor to determine if recharging succeeds and how many charges to add, if it does. The formula would require looking in the code, but in practice, bigger is better here.

Encumbrance from armor just reduces your max SP based on how far over the weight limit you are. The weight limit is constant (i.e. not affected by STR or anything else). This is different from an arcane caster (mage/ranger/rogue) wearing gloves that don't have a DEX bonus or Free Action, note. That penalty is much more severe.

Comment

• robbiodobbio
                              Adept
                              • Feb 2013

Lots of questions today. Just found two Elvenkind bits of armour, they're great for resistances. I have dragon scale mail of craftsmanship which has a high AC value and can be activated but I've just found leather armour of Elvenkind that increases stealth and gives nexus resistance but has much lower AC.

Which is better?

Comment

• ranger jeff
                                Apprentice
                                • Jan 2012

"the weight of your armor encumbers you" is telling you that you're over the weight limit determined by your strength for wearing armor without getting a penalty to mana. So, you're a caster, and your max mana has just been reduced a bit, which is usually not a big deal.

And the power of a spell is not the percent chance of success, in the case of recharging it's what gets checked vs the power of the wand/staff you're attempting to recharge. Maybe somebody wants to pull out the equation to demonstrate how Angband maths work?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎