Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • strato
    Rookie
    • Apr 2015

This may be time consuming to implement, but I feel it would be feasible...How about you have different rooms in your house? A menu to select room to enter?

Ideas:
    1. Bedroom (sleep to restore health, mana, remove negative effects)
    2. Storage (keep items here, expandable with chests from dungeon)
    3. Trophy Room (only allow artifacts to be stored here)
    4. Possibly a trash can to remove unneeded items? (not needed but might be convenient)

Expansion on #2: If you find a chest in the dungeon, it doesn't disappear when you open it. Instead you can take it with you back home, put it in storage, and maybe for each chest you add 5 slots to storage.

Still a newbie, sorry if I missed something obvious.

Edit: Forget I mentioned the different rooms (bedroom, trophy room, etc)
    I still like the delete item option for home & adding storage with chests
    Last edited by strato; April 7, 2015, 22:46.

Comment

• werepacman
      Scout
      • Feb 2015

I like idea with chests. Different chests with different capacity.

Comment

• mushroom patch
        Swordsman
        • Oct 2014

A destroy item option in home might be nice.

The idea of carrying chests out of the dungeon and keeping them in your house for extra storage seems mind-bogglingly tedious, particularly if doing so had any strategic significance (which it wouldn't). Note also that the topic of the thread is providing effectively unlimited home space.

I don't think most players find that navigating menus and shuffling items between inventory, the ground, and secondary inventories (home or ... various other places proposed above) are valuable, entertaining aspects of the game. Rather it's the kind of thing where you want enough inventory interaction to make a moderately deep and complex game, but just enough. Not more. If anything, it'd be worthwhile figuring out ways to make interaction with secondary inventory less involved/intrusive. For example, if you could use word of recall scrolls or something similar to move items between home and your inventory without going to town, that would be a move in the right direction.

[edit: after a moment's reflection, the recall for items idea would have essentially no game balance impact if the item retrieval triggered only when using stairs. To make it even more game balance neutral, it could also make the stairs one-way.]

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by mushroom patch
          For example, if you could use word of recall scrolls or something similar to move items between home and your inventory without going to town, that would be a move in the right direction.
          That would change things so that you could access items in the home without losing the current dungeon level. Personally I'm opposed. It'd take all of the pressure out of swap gear. See an enemy with lots of fire attacks? Use WoR and grab that gear with fire immunity before fighting them. Whereas currently you have to decide to bring that item with you before knowing what you'll face.

Arguably the entirety of the equipment optimization game is knowing that it's impossible to prepare for everything and therefore deciding what you will and won't be prepared for. If you can access your entire stash at any time, even with the ~30-round delay of WoR, then that all goes right out the window.

Comment

• mushroom patch
            Swordsman
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Derakon
            That would change things so that you could access items in the home without losing the current dungeon level. Personally I'm opposed. It'd take all of the pressure out of swap gear. See an enemy with lots of fire attacks? Use WoR and grab that gear with fire immunity before fighting them. Whereas currently you have to decide to bring that item with you before knowing what you'll face.

Arguably the entirety of the equipment optimization game is knowing that it's impossible to prepare for everything and therefore deciding what you will and won't be prepared for. If you can access your entire stash at any time, even with the ~30-round delay of WoR, then that all goes right out the window.
            See the edit. If it only works on when you pass from one level to another, it is game balance neutral.

[also, it is possible to be prepared for everything that can actually happen, but that's another matter.]

Comment

• Zireael
              Adept
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by werepacman
              I like idea with chests. Different chests with different capacity.
              I like that idea too. I might steal it for my wip roguelike

Comment

• MattB
                Veteran
                • Mar 2013

See an enemy with lots of fire attacks? Use WoR and grab that gear with fire immunity before fighting them.
                Worse - I'd feel duty bound to make sure that I did exactly that. Which would get very tedious.

Comment

• mushroom patch
                  Swordsman
                  • Oct 2014

=\

You guys are responding to something I didn't even propose.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

=\

You guys are responding to something I didn't even propose.
                    In fairness, I wrote (or at least started writing) my response before you edited your original post. I wouldn't have a problem with allowing users to burn a Word of Recall scroll between level boundaries to access their homes.

Comment

• strato
                      Rookie
                      • Apr 2015

After reflecting a bit on my previous post...I do feel that it would be a tedious and overly complex addition to the game (certainly the part about different rooms). However, think that a way to delete items in home inventory and the ability to expand home capacity would be nice.

Comment

• werepacman
                        Scout
                        • Feb 2015

Finding a treasure is a part of a game. You are happy when you found a good weapon or spellbook, so a good chest for additional space could be also a party of fun. Unlimited space without effort it is like unlimited mana or unlimitedly powerful weapon. If there is no gain there is no fun. And combination of luck and effort makes gain pleasant.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2007

Finding a treasure is a part of a game. You are happy when you found a good weapon or spellbook, so a good chest for additional space could be also a party of fun.
                          Not sure what you mean by "party of fun". Plenty of fun?

Unlimited space without effort it is like unlimited mana or unlimitedly powerful weapon. If there is no gain there is no fun. And combination of luck and effort makes gain pleasant.
                          Unlimited space that is not accessible while in the dungeon only relieves inventory tedium and having to guess what randomly generated equipment you're going to find in the future (with randarts). It is in no way equivalent to unlimited mana (which !RestoreMana, is btw) or some ridiculous weapon.

Comment

• mushroom patch
                            Swordsman
                            • Oct 2014

Finding a treasure is a part of a game. You are happy when you found a good weapon or spellbook, so a good chest for additional space could be also a party of fun. Unlimited space without effort it is like unlimited mana or unlimitedly powerful weapon. If there is no gain there is no fun. And combination of luck and effort makes gain pleasant.
                            Dude, treasure chests are some of the most mundane items in the game. They weigh a lot, they don't do anything (except this home inventory thing, which is ridiculous because you don't even need all the space you have now). You might as well start collecting broken sticks and filthy rags. Bring back shards of pottery!

I can assure you, if I had the option of expanding home with treasure chests, I would only use it if the number of slots in home currently were radically reduced and I would do it as few times per game as possible. I am astonished to learn that someone could actually regard picking up a currently useless and very common item and hauling it to town as fun.

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Dude, treasure chests are some of the most mundane items in the game. They weigh a lot, they don't do anything (except this home inventory thing, which is ridiculous because you don't even need all the space you have now). You might as well start collecting broken sticks and filthy rags. Bring back shards of pottery!
                              Okay, chief, tone it down a notch, right? It's just a suggestion, there's no need to lay into him like that. Disagreements are fine, but there's no call to be rude.

Comment

• MattB
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2013

Okay, chief, tone it down a notch, right? It's just a suggestion, there's no need to lay into him like that. Disagreements are fine, but there's no call to be rude.
                                Hear, hear! Quite right.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍