X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • academic.sam
    Scout
    • Mar 2013

Increasing home size

As many here, I'm also annoyed at the 24-item limitation at home. With the new changes, store size seems to have been moved to a edit file (not yet released). So, hopefully we can just edit that number in next release if we want a larger home.

I was thinking of a separate trophy-room where you can stash valuable/interesting items and artifacts you find (my hoarding instincts ). In my copy, I've added an extra store (called trophy room) where you can drop stuff and it acts like home (items don't get replaced). But you have to pay to take items out. It is still in infancy and I'd like to flesh it out a bit more.

My assumption is that being able to store everything you find does not unbalance the game (in any meaningful way).

1. Should this be a birth option?
    2. Should items be restricted? (artifacts only, above a certain value or no restrictions)
    3. Should there be an upper limit on how much you have to pay to take items out?
    4. Should there be a limit on how many items it can store?

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this issue. My code is on
    https://github.com/academicsam/angband (trophy-room branch)
    Last edited by academic.sam; March 7, 2015, 23:28.
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by academic.sam
    1. Should this be a birth option?
    Nah. Since it's not a balance change, just make it non-optional.

2. Should items be restricted? (artifacts only, above a certain value or no restrictions)
    3. Should there be an upper limit on how much you have to pay to take items out?
    4. Should there be a limit on how many items it can store?
    Nah, nah, nah. Let people hoard to their heart's delight. Frankly, I don't think you should have to pay to remove items from the trophy room, because then why not just use the home instead? But then again, I usually manage to suppress my hoarding instincts.

Comment

• academic.sam
      Scout
      • Mar 2013

In that case, the easiest thing is to just remove the limit of home size altogether (I'm totally OK with that).

All this trophy-room nonsense then can be cast aside and I can wreak havock somwhere else

As they say, best code is the code you don't have to write

Comment

• werepacman
        Scout
        • Feb 2015

What happens when you through out an artifact or ego? If game generatsles it again than this useless item pulls back the chance of good new items.
        So there should be something like museum where you can donate useless artifacts. With unlimited storage but with no return. Otherwise there is a chance you will find the same artifact again and again, instead of a new one. And with disabled selling you can't benefit from those findings.
        Last edited by werepacman; March 5, 2015, 20:37.

Comment

• mushroom patch
          Swordsman
          • Oct 2014

There's a similar concept in tomenet (and perhaps mangband, I don't recall), a shop called the "Mathom House," where players can leave items on display. It is impossible to reclaim them, they're simply for show.

On a multiuser system, a shop like this could play the role of a secondary scoreboard.

Comment

• werepacman
            Scout
            • Feb 2015

Angband has the largest list of types of damage than any game I know. Exotic sound, water, nether, nexus, darkness, gravity, plasma, time. There is variety of combination of resistances with bonuses. So the home should be large enough to keep some items for the future combinations.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by academic.sam
              In that case, the easiest thing is to just remove the limit of home size altogether
              In the new code, this should* be just a matter of changing one umber in an edit file.

*as long as it doesn't break the UI, which I don't think it does
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Lionmaruu
                Scout
                • Nov 2013

I would like it very much, at least double the size of the home, sometimes is really painful to let some neat equipment that helped you so much and now you have do discard it because you don't have one slot available.

It adds more to the general immersion of the game and I don't think it will be unbalancing it... you still have to think ahead on what you carry with you anyway.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by werepacman
                  What happens when you through out an artifact or ego?
                  Once you have learned the name of an artifact, it can never again be generated for that character. In other words, an artifact can only be "lost" if you pick it up; if it's generated on a level but you never pick it up, then it can be generated again.

Ego items can be freely generated in unlimited supply regardless of what has been generated in the past.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                    In the new code, this should* be just a matter of changing one umber in an edit file.

*as long as it doesn't break the UI, which I don't think it does
                    Unless the UI code has been revised significantly, it does in fact break the UI to go beyond the existing HOME_SIZE (or whatever the #define is called). As I recall, increasing it by one or two did sort-of work, but anything beyond that you'd get corruption. (Removing the whole "pages" system from stores did that, I imagine.)
                    Last edited by AnonymousHero; March 5, 2015, 22:13.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                      Unless the UI code has been revised significantly, it does in fact break the UI to go beyond the existing HOME_SIZE (or whatever the #define is called).
                      It has, and the number in edit file I'm referring to has replaced the #define

Comment

• Raajaton
                        Swordsman
                        • May 2012

I have made my opinions on this topic well known on other threads, but I will bump again here for another show of support. Allowing for multiple pages in the home works quite well in other variants, and I think was in Angband at some point in time? I hope to see that again sometime in the future.

Perhaps this could be another area the player could sink their amassed gold into. At the start of the game, you have a studio apartment. As the game progresses you can spend some of your gold to build additions to your home, thus giving you additional pages worth of storage space. It makes sense that we don't have unlimited space, as who has the room for that much loot. However, once the adventurer is lvl 50 with millions of gold, one could assume he'd be able to afford nicer accommodations.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                          It has, and the number in edit file I'm referring to has replaced the #define
                          Oh, excellent, so the UI supports multiple pages again? (That was the problem last time -- with multi-page support the shop letters would end up going off the end of the alphabet and you'd get unselectable entries and reading uninitialized memory.)

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                            Oh, excellent, so the UI supports multiple pages again? (That was the problem last time -- with multi-page support the shop letters would end up going off the end of the alphabet and you'd get unselectable entries and reading uninitialized memory.)
                            I will need to check that - if it doesn't work, then it should be made to.

Comment

• academic.sam
                              Scout
                              • Mar 2013

I changed it to 100 to see how it works. There is some weirdness in numbering, but no crashes or unselectable items. Following is the bottom of the list in home. B) is the 24th item.

The only minor issue is increasing this number increases all store slots. Since each store already has an individual max stocking level, this only means stores can accept more. So, I don't think this trophy-room nonsense is needed and we can hoard to our hearts content

Thank you dev team!

Code:
                               0) a Main Gauche (1d5)                                             3.0 lb
                               A) a Main Gauche (1d5)                                             3.0 lb
                               B) a Main Gauche (1d5)                                             3.0 lb
                               D) a Rapier (1d6)                                                  4.0 lb
                               F) a Cutlass (1d8)                                                11.0 lb
                               G) a Tulwar (2d4)                                                 10.0 lb
                               H) a Scimitar (4d2)                                               15.0 lb
                               a Broad Sword (2d5)                                               15.0 lb
                               H) a Broad Sword (2d5)                                            15.0 lb
                               s) a Spear (1d6)                                                   5.0 lb
                               L) a Spear (1d6)                                                   5.0 lb
                               a Trident (1d10)                                                   7.0 lb
                               a Trident (1d10)                                                   7.0 lb
                               2 Lances (2d8)                                                    30.0 lb
                               a Whip (1d3)                                                       3.0 lb
                               a Morning Star (2d6)                                              15.0 lb
                               L) a Morning Star (2d6)                                           15.0 lb
                               s) a Flail (2d6)                                                  15.0 lb
                               L) a Quarterstaff (1d9)                                           15.0 lb
                               a Quarterstaff (1d9)                                              15.0 lb
                               a Quarterstaff (1d9)                                              15.0 lb
                               a War Hammer (3d3)                                                12.0 lb
                               a Shovel (1d2)                                                     6.0 lb
                               a Sling (x2)                                                       0.5 lb
                               ^F)a Short Bow (x2)                                                3.0 lb
                               t) a Short Bow (x2)                                                3.0 lb

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎