Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

Can someone kindly tell me how the hit and run spell works? I cast the spell and nothing happens. It just says "you tense up ready to escape!". The spell description says "prepares you to teleport a short distance after stealing from a monster". But how do I steal? I try to hit the monster but it just hits him instead of stealing from him.
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Julian
      Adept
      • Apr 2021

Originally posted by Grotug
      Can someone kindly tell me how the hit and run spell works? I cast the spell and nothing happens. It just says "you tense up ready to escape!". The spell description says "prepares you to teleport a short distance after stealing from a monster". But how do I steal? I try to hit the monster but it just hits him instead of stealing from him.
      There’s a special command for it, ’s’.

Comment

• Grotug
        Veteran
        • Nov 2013

Thanks! Can I steel from Uniques?
        Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• backwardsEric
          Knight
          • Aug 2019

Thanks! Can I steel from Uniques?
          Yes, but what you steal get's discounted from what that unique can have if it's placed on a new level. So, you can't steal from Bullroarer, for instance, on multiple levels to get more than what he would have dropped if killed.

Comment

• Grotug
            Veteran
            • Nov 2013

I tried to steal from a sleeping Cantoras and he cried out in anger! waking everyone in the vault. Is this typical of trying to steal from Cantoras or is it sort of a low chance of happening when I steal from any high uniques?
            Last edited by Grotug; September 16, 2021, 20:29.

Comment

• backwardsEric
              Knight
              • Aug 2019

I tried to steal from a sleeping Cantoras and he cried out in anger! waking everyone in the vault. Is this typical of trying to steal from Cantoras or is it sort of a low chance of happening when I steal from any high uniques?
              The monster's level, speed, whether or not it's unique, and whether or not it's sleeping are the characteristics that set its defense against the attempted theft. A random value based on that defense (with an added term from the weight of the randomly selected object from the monster's inventory) is compared to the player's stealing skill (based on stealth and dexterity with penalties for hallucinating, confusion, or blindness). On a mild failure, the player sees the thing that could have been stolen and can wake the monster, if it isn't already awake. On more severe failures, the result is what you got with Cantoras.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

@BE--
                Cantoras is also very alert; only an @ with legendary could possibly sneak up in the first place. Does that make a difference?

Comment

• backwardsEric
                  Knight
                  • Aug 2019

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                  @BE--
                  Cantoras is also very alert; only an @ with legendary could possibly sneak up in the first place. Does that make a difference?
                  Only so much as the monster was alert enough to not still be sleeping. The calculation uses the binary distinction of awake/not-awake and not how far away the monster is from waking.

Comment

• Selkie
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2020

Even with legendary stealth I've never had much luck stealing from the high end uniques. Sometimes it feels safer to just kill them.

I think stealing is a cool idea, but the trouble is the mechanic is too shrouded in fog. A lot of Angband is very easy to work out percentages of success, so you can weigh up risk and reward. With stealing I've no idea what's happening in the code or what my success percentages might be.

With legendary stealth I would expect to be able to steal from a high end unique at least 60 per cent of the time, but in my experience it felt much lower.

Comment

• Grotug
                      Veteran
                      • Nov 2013

In the latest version does the Ranger get extra shots with all launchers? My X5 (+13) crossbow does more damage than my Lorien X4 (+13) longbow, so that would seem to be the case (2.4 shots a round).

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Selkie
                        Even with legendary stealth I've never had much luck stealing from the high end uniques....
                        With legendary stealth I would expect to be able to steal from a high end unique at least 60 per cent of the time, but in my experience it felt much lower.
                        As stealthy as Bilbo may have been, Smaug did wake up.
                        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Selkie
                          Swordsman
                          • Aug 2020

Does the level treasure feeling take into account the combined value of every single treasure, or does it only tell you the single most valuable/rare treasure on the level?

Comment

• Nick
                            Vanilla maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Selkie
                            Does the level treasure feeling take into account the combined value of every single treasure, or does it only tell you the single most valuable/rare treasure on the level?
                            All of them.
                            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Din0rion_1
                              Rookie
                              • Oct 2021

I am rather new here, and this will be my first reply. I have a dumb question about my character. I am currently playing as a druid, and when I try to cast Lightning Strike, sometimes it will register as either having succeeded or failed, while other times it will not register at all in my action history. What exactly am I missing here?
                              Currently playing: WoW and Ultima 1

Comment

• Selkie
                                Swordsman
                                • Aug 2020

Originally posted by Din0rion_1
                                I am rather new here, and this will be my first reply. I have a dumb question about my character. I am currently playing as a druid, and when I try to cast Lightning Strike, sometimes it will register as either having succeeded or failed, while other times it will not register at all in my action history. What exactly am I missing here?
                                I think it's only works when targeting monsters in a discovered square

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎