Sil: What are your least liked features of Sil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueFish
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by debo
    Ah - from your earlier post I thought you meant that removing your armor was optimal but tedious play, because there was no risk to it. If you're removing your armor and dropping it on the ground, that seems at least a little risky to me - if the dudes do blow up out of control, depending on positioning, you might not be able to get your stuff back without dying?
    Yes, there's risk there, though generally more to do with getting hit by other monsters as they walk by while you're trying to exterminate the worms, naked. (I'm reminded of Breaking Bad for some reason...)

Comment

• taptap
      Knight
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by BlueFish
      Have you ever played a character motivated to explore the whole level? Have you ever retreated from a room overrun by green worms?
      Being motivated to explore the whole level (I am) != considering it a flaw in the game, when retreating is sometimes better. I do wade through rooms full of worms or desperately try to clear a forge from multiplying worms as anyone (and get stat drained and annoyed as well), but when this happens occasionally and not every time, it can produce good stories. This btw never happened to me with vampires, despite special effects etc., simply because I am either already dead or too strong for them at that point in the game.

I had an interesting thing with two molds with my Handur. Two shadow molds (?) diagonally in a forge room - yet even when I put enough light in, I couldn't see them, but it must have been molds because of the spores. Hmm.
      Last edited by taptap; October 30, 2013, 11:59.

Comment

• half
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

Have you ever played a character motivated to explore the whole level? Have you ever retreated from a room overrun by green worms?
        Of course I have, but quite rarely. I almost never remove my armour when fighting them, as I said in my comment.

The tactics of kiting slow monsters aren't interesting. They're obvious. And not always applicable.
        Baldy stating things that disagree with the designer of the game, with no explanation of why or how this disagreement could be resolved is not the kind of thing that leads to the designer addressing your concerns. I write this game for fun...

Comment

• BlueFish
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by half
          Of course I have, but quite rarely. I almost never remove my armour when fighting them, as I said in my comment.
          I suppose I almost never do too. I certainly kite when I can, as anybody would, if they find dropping armor tiresome. I even prioritize killing green worms more than I probably should, just to avoid having to drop armor after they multiply a few times.

Baldy stating things that disagree with the designer of the game, with no explanation of why or how this disagreement could be resolved is not the kind of thing that leads to the designer addressing your concerns. I write this game for fun...
          I'm sorry for disagreeing with you, half. Please design your game as you please. Don't mind me. It does not occur to me that there is any obvious fix for this armor-dropping annoyance. It's been brought up here a few times before, by a few different people.

Comment

• half
            Knight
            • Jan 2009

I'm sorry for disagreeing with you, half. Please design your game as you please. Don't mind me. It does not occur to me that there is any obvious fix for this armor-dropping annoyance. It's been brought up here a few times before, by a few different people.
            It is fine for you (or anyone else) to disagree with me. I was trying to say that if you (or anyone else) wants things to change, then disagreeing in a constructive way is much more likely to lead to that happening.

Comment

• BlueFish
              Swordsman
              • Aug 2011

It is fine for you (or anyone else) to disagree with me. I was trying to say that if you (or anyone else) wants things to change, then disagreeing in a constructive way is much more likely to lead to that happening.
              I never asked for anything to change, half. I disagreed with the notion that armor dropping is an almost sure sign of a lack of proper tactics. That has nothing to do with changing the game. It's about correcting some incorrect notions about how the game actually plays, for certain builds.
              Last edited by BlueFish; October 30, 2013, 16:07.

Comment

• half
                Knight
                • Jan 2009

This is one of my least favorite things in the early game - removing your good armor when fighting green worms. It's tedious but basically necessary.
                I'm puzzled. You said that the game was organised such that tedious play was necessary. Was that not a criticism or request for improvement?

Comment

• BlueFish
                  Swordsman
                  • Aug 2011

I'm puzzled. You said that the game was organised such that tedious play was necessary. Was that not a criticism or request for improvement?
                  I think it would be impossible for a game to be entirely devoid of annoying things. I have no solution in mind for it, half. I only agreed with someone else who found it tedious, then defended myself against the inevitable "you just don't play well" insinuations.

If you keep it in mind and subtly shift things to minimize the annoyance, or if you have a larger change in mind that would eliminate it altogether, then that is great. I've never seen any solution discussed on this forum for this issue that has come up several times from several people, but maybe I just missed it.

Comment

• half
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2009

I think it would be impossible for a game to be entirely devoid of annoying things. I have no solution in mind for it, half. I only agreed with someone else who found it tedious, then defended myself against the inevitable "you just don't play well" insinuations.

If you keep it in mind and subtly shift things to minimize the annoyance, or if you have a larger change in mind that would eliminate it altogether, then that is great. I've never seen any solution discussed on this forum for this issue that has come up several times from several people, but maybe I just missed it.
                    OK, thanks for explaining.

Comment

• BlueFish
                      Swordsman
                      • Aug 2011

To elaborate, it's really just a UI issue. If the thought that you want to drop all your important armor was just a simple keystroke away (an impossible programming task), dropping armor in preparation for fighting acid monsters would be just as interesting a tactical decision as it already is, and it would also be annoyance-free.

UI issues aren't necessarily solvable. Computers still only do what we tell them to do, rather than what we want them to do.

Comment

• BlueFish
                        Swordsman
                        • Aug 2011

Then again, "drop all armor" could be a keystroke away. That would be more of an MPA-Sil thing than a Sil thing though.

Comment

• TJS
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2008

Do green worm masses destroy armour on the ground? That might make people think twice about taking them off.

Also monsters picking up your stuff and wandering off with it would increase risk (don't know if this already happens).

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Song of Aule seems a little tedious to use in it's current form. You can sit on the forge & wait to recover a point of voice & start signing again. This is pretty tedious (especially if your forging 4 items) but what else are you going to do if you've already cleared the level?

Comment

• Infinitum
                              Swordsman
                              • Oct 2013

Agreed. It could just be a straight boost to smithing skill (of course this would be a boost to it in that smithing would take less turns but it isn't like Aule-Smiths are wrecking the game balance as is).

Comment

• BlueFish
                                Swordsman
                                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by wobbly
                                Song of Aule seems a little tedious to use in it's current form. You can sit on the forge & wait to recover a point of voice & start signing again. This is pretty tedious (especially if your forging 4 items) but what else are you going to do if you've already cleared the level?
                                Wait till your song is full? Why would you forge one song point at a time?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎