Sil: What are your least liked features of Sil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taptap
    Knight
    • Jan 2013

I like sword spiders a lot, although (because?) they kill me quite often especially with Naugrim or other low dexterity builds. My main tactics against them are ranged attacks (and doors and corners) even with dedicated melee fighters, a single thrown spear that connects before you go into melee can easily make the difference. Distended spiders can be hairy in melee as well, but they are even easier archery targets due to lower speed.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Big weapons and fighting them around corners are definitely advised. If you have 49HP and any defenses whatsoever, you should probably be able to flee around a corner and then take a few chances at sneaking back and hitting them. It's much worse when they find you in the middle of some other melee
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

Another minor one about the display. The dark colour of a down shaft & an un-lit stair case are the same (or look the same to me). I can get round it with the look command, but a more obvious differentiation would be nice.

Edit: & is it my imagination or does a target for thrown weapons remain targeted after it moves out of throwing range. Seems to happen a lot for me with spears & str 1 characters.

Comment

• Psi
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
          Another minor one about the display. The dark colour of a down shaft & an un-lit stair case are the same (or look the same to me). I can get round it with the look command, but a more obvious differentiation would be nice.
          +1 to that.

Comment

• Infinitum
            Swordsman
            • Oct 2013

Hmm. The Gorged status? The only place it has ever been an issue to me is in the throne room (what with the excessive buffing and near-constant consumption of Rage Herbs and Healing items), yet it's ridiculously dangerous in that one context. Optimal play being hungry on the 1000' descent is opaque and unintuitive to unspoiled players, and removing it entirely wouldn't impact the game otherwise.

Comment

• taptap
              Knight
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Infinitum
              Hmm. The Gorged status? The only place it has ever been an issue to me is in the throne room (what with the excessive buffing and near-constant consumption of Rage Herbs and Healing items), yet it's ridiculously dangerous in that one context. Optimal play being hungry on the 1000' descent is opaque and unintuitive to unspoiled players, and removing it entirely wouldn't impact the game otherwise.
              Does spoiled / unspoiled really apply? It is explained in the manual after all.

Comment

• Infinitum
                Swordsman
                • Oct 2013

Yes, but it's such a non-factor in gameplay otherwise its very easy to overlook unless one has experienced it, or have been explicitly warned of it beforehand. The underlying mechanic being mentioned in a accompanying text document doesn't really recitify that.

Comment

• BrewFall
                  Rookie
                  • Aug 2013

What about a command to induce vomiting?

Comment

• Patashu
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2008

If the intent behind 'Gorged' is to make there be a downside to guzzling lots of potions and herbs, why not separate it from hunger (which is, after all, an orthogonal issue), and have some kind of 'Potiondrunk' (for lack of a better word) status, which comes on if you've drunk/eaten too many potions/herbs recently, stops the consumption of more (or makes them weaker?) and goes away when the hidden counter dips back below a threshold?
                    My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Scatha
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2012

The main motivation behind the way the gorged status works is the 'realism' aspect. We don't want players to be able to eat all their food all at once rather than having to hold it in their inventory. We do want herbs and potions to help stave off starvation in an emergency, so they are folded into the food system.

Thanks for bringing the problem up.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Vanilla just put a cap on how much nutrition you can "store" in your stomach; past a certain point eating food wastes it to no effect. Any reason you don't want to do that in Sil?

I agree that being able to use herbs and potions for some minimal nutrition is valuable.

Comment

• Patashu
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Scatha
                          The main motivation behind the way the gorged status works is the 'realism' aspect. We don't want players to be able to eat all their food all at once rather than having to hold it in their inventory. We do want herbs and potions to help stave off starvation in an emergency, so they are folded into the food system.

Thanks for bringing the problem up.
                          I'm suggesting two meters, hunger (for your food, and herbs and potions would also slightly increase it) and potiondrunkness (for deciding if potions and herbs, when consumed, have an effect or not).
                          My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Infinitum
                            Swordsman
                            • Oct 2013

Is the latter needed though? There effectively isn't any system in place now and it kind of works out since consumables are too scarce to use with abandon anyhow.

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

Just noting there are a couple of other circumstances under which gorged will kill you (I've lost characters to them):

Eating unidentified herbs in an emergency & getting a herb of sustenance.
                              Being gorged from restoring grace with a lembas wafer after forging.

Comment

• taptap
                                Knight
                                • Jan 2013

gorged is the only situation in which a herb of emptiness has some utility. you rarely see people use it, but i thought that everything but skeletons is supposed to do something sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎