Sil: What are your least liked features of Sil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taptap
    Knight
    • Jan 2013

I don't mind being distracted by orc scouts - and I like to deal with them - the mold thing really hurts. (Low will, low strength char can have a real problem clearing them out - and often needs some rest in between. Hell I even died to a brown mold before - because I was too confused to leave his influence.)

Glamdring vs. Orcrist: Orcrist is 450 ft., Glamdring is 650/700 or so. And I often find perception more useful than will - unless I am entranced.
    Last edited by taptap; June 19, 2013, 19:50.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Completely off topic, but why don't molds gradually get larger? I mean, worm masses move and divide. You could just have molds gradually take up adjacent squares. What a terrible idea. Never mind.
      You are on something strange

Comment

• WildKhaine
        Scout
        • Oct 2012

You can Smith when a mold is in the room, as long as it's not right next to the forge. It'll interrupt you but just resume and it'll finish it.

Comment

• Starhawk
          Adept
          • Sep 2010

Can you smith in the dark? A risky but possible solution to molds/scouts. Assuming you don't mind the chance of being sneaked up on by something more brutal.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

I think this can be tested by taking off the Light source and then try to make something in the presence of the Mold?
            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• wobbly
              Prophet
              • May 2012

Doesn't work, I sometimes do it because I obsess a little over wasting the torch. Curiously they glow in the dark! If you try smithing near one & it disturbs you it'll appear on the screen even though you can't see it. Doesn't work with those orc scouts shouting. I think they need to be close enough?

Comment

• WaveMotion
                Apprentice
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by wobbly
                Doesn't work, I sometimes do it because I obsess a little over wasting the torch. Curiously they glow in the dark! If you try smithing near one & it disturbs you it'll appear on the screen even though you can't see it. Doesn't work with those orc scouts shouting. I think they need to be close enough?
                I vaguely remember reading somewhere that forges themselves produce light while you're using them. Can anybody confirm?

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by WaveMotion
                  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that forges themselves produce light while you're using them. Can anybody confirm?
                  Yes it does -- this is why if you e.g. sit on a forge with light radius 1, and there's a mold a couple squares away, you will be interrupted on your first turn of turning on the forge -- the light exposes the mold.

I think the light even stays on when the forge is waiting to resume, but I'm fuzzy on that one.
                  Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by debo
                    Yes it does -- this is why if you e.g. sit on a forge with light radius 1, and there's a mold a couple squares away, you will be interrupted on your first turn of turning on the forge -- the light exposes the mold.

I think the light even stays on when the forge is waiting to resume, but I'm fuzzy on that one.
                    What happens if the player wears a Greatsword of the Shadows and a Shadow Cloak and has no light source? The forge still illuminates radius 1?

Edit - I have some news. I recently started a Feanorian Smithing character that found a Shadow Cloak at 50ft. I went to the first forge at 100ft and there was a Grey mold nearby. I put on the Shadow Cloak and took off the Wooden Torch, and started making my usual Rings of Accuracy (+2)...And voilŕ, I was able to do the Smithing in the dark with that Grey mold nearby. Looking at the character screen, the Light Radius was -1.

If the Light Radius is zero or higher in presence of the mold, the Smithing will be interrupted. But, if the Light Radius is -1 or even lower in the presence of the mold, you can Smith without interruption.

So, it *is* possible to do Smithing in the *dark.*
                    Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; June 21, 2013, 08:54. Reason: How to Smith in the Dark....
                    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

hahahaah Hugo the Mad Alchemist
                      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Patashu
                        Knight
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                        What happens if the player wears a Greatsword of the Shadows and a Shadow Cloak and has no light source? The forge still illuminates radius 1?

Edit - I have some news. I recently started a Feanorian Smithing character that found a Shadow Cloak at 50ft. I went to the first forge at 100ft and there was a Grey mold nearby. I put on the Shadow Cloak and took off the Wooden Torch, and started making my usual Rings of Accuracy (+2)...And voilŕ, I was able to do the Smithing in the dark with that Grey mold nearby. Looking at the character screen, the Light Radius was -1.

If the Light Radius is zero or higher in presence of the mold, the Smithing will be interrupted. But, if the Light Radius is -1 or even lower in the presence of the mold, you can Smith without interruption.

So, it *is* possible to do Smithing in the *dark.*
                        Awesome! Now you're thinking like a glitch hunter
                        My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• T-Mick
                          Adept
                          • Mar 2012

It's nigh impossible to tell which category you've selected on the smithing menu when you're color-blind. The gray and white are way too close. Same thing on every other menu, I might add.

Comment

• Patashu
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by T-Mick
                            It's nigh impossible to tell which category you've selected on the smithing menu when you're color-blind. The gray and white are way too close. Same thing on every other menu, I might add.
                            What form of colourblindness makes gray and white look the same?
                            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• T-Mick
                              Adept
                              • Mar 2012

It's not really grey and white. More like really light blue and white. The same colors are used on the character screen when allocating exp.

Comment

• taptap
                                Knight
                                • Jan 2013

What I find mildly annoying is when Duruin is the first rauko I meet.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎