• Oct 2011

Or just change your system clock and open them right away
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• half
      Knight
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Scatha
      The presents are meant to be a source of future hope at the moment! You can carry them with you and open them on or after Tuesday (or start new characters then).

Of course you could also open them now and treat this as an extra challenge mode ...
      Yes, I don't think that opening them now will be very helpful to you in the long run. But don't let that stop you...

Comment

• half
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by debo
        Or just change your system clock and open them right away
        Let it be known that system clock present scumming (or easter egg scumming) is hereby considered a form of cheating.

Comment

• Psi
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by half
          Yes, I don't think that opening them now will be very helpful to you in the long run. But don't let that stop you...
          If I had a game that lasted from now until Christmas then something has gone very, very wrong.

Perhaps I just need to start several hundred characters ready to play in the new year?

Comment

• Scatha
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by half
            Yes, I don't think that opening them now will be very helpful to you in the long run.
            At least this is the intended behaviour! It's gone wrong before. A few years ago the curse used to double the number of monsters generated, which led to my (at the time) most powerful character ever, as I was able to collect experience faster.

Comment

• Scatha
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Psi
              If I had a game that lasted from now until Christmas then something has gone very, very wrong.
              OK, but not everyone plays so quickly or regularly.

Perhaps I just need to start several hundred characters ready to play in the new year?
              You could do this. Our experience has been that by the time the present season is over the novelty has generally worn off.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

I created this character named, "Yeah!' yesterday. Will the Christmas feature start kicking in when I continue today or do I need to create a new character? So far, this guy hasn't found any presents yet.
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• half
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                  I created this character named, "Yeah!' yesterday. Will the Christmas feature start kicking in when I continue today or do I need to create a new character? So far, this guy hasn't found any presents yet.
                  New characters only, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Qyx
                    Apprentice
                    • Dec 2012

Artifice?

Great game!

Quick(ish) question:

Just got artifice for the first time, and not quite sure why some of the options are greyed out. I've got the necessary smithing level, forge uses, and xp, but can't select the item... My theory is that the item is impossible, but can't find that confirmed in the manual or forums, so just wanted to check... Here's an example:

I've got weaponcraft, enchanting, artifice, 1800 xp available, and smithing's at 13, and I'm on a forge with 4 uses.

If I try to create a filthy rag with an archery skill, the archery menu shows up, but all the skills are greyed out. Checking difficulty and cost for filthy rag of careful shot shows diff 5, 3 uses, 500 xp, 50 turns.

On the other hand, gloves of careful shot appear possible.

Just checking if this is intended, or if I'm missing something. (Guess those aren't mutually exclusive.)

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

To anyone finding 'wrapped presents" in Sil: If you destroy it, it's gone forever. It's obvious, but this should be pointed out anyways.
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Psi
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Qyx
                        Just checking if this is intended, or if I'm missing something. (Guess those aren't mutually exclusive.)
                        It is intended. You can only place skills on items which make some thematic sense. Stealth skills on boots, melee skills on gloves etc

Comment

• Psi
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

So does the curse affect combat rolls? I seem to have an awful time trying to hit dragonflies and Giants are suddenly really dangerous it seems...

Comment

• Patashu
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Psi
                            So does the curse affect combat rolls? I seem to have an awful time trying to hit dragonflies and Giants are suddenly really dangerous it seems...
                            It's the three silmarils curse - when you do anything, the game rolls twice and picks the worse rolls. So 'critical successes' are almost impossible now.
                            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• debo
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Psi
                              I'm guessing you've thought of this already, but shooting arrows at high-evasion monsters is much easier in the first 500' than hitting them is because of the 50% eva penalty they get to arrows.

It's neat to see how much nastier the curse is at lower skill numbers
                              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Psi
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by debo
                                I'm guessing you've thought of this already, but shooting arrows at high-evasion monsters is much easier in the first 500' than hitting them is because of the 50% eva penalty they get to arrows.

It's neat to see how much nastier the curse is at lower skill numbers
                                I got a Galvorn Armour of Resilience [0,2d5] which was pretty sweet. Saw me down to 650' when I got surrounded by fs which I just couldn't hit and obviously they kept hitting me...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎