Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

How are you dying? Is it a case of being surrounded or do even 1v1, 1v2 encounters prove too overpowering? Who/what is killing you? A 2/4/5/3, or 2/5/4/3 Feanor with melee/evasion as priority ought to be able to hang at 200' as long as you aren't biting off too much per encounter. If you are dying to being surrounded, try to make sure you do your fighting in corridors or at choked junctions to limit # of opponents. Or, if you are dying to 1v1,1v2, you could have a bad evasion to protection ratio. This often trips me up. It's hard to give out concrete numbers on that, since they are often inversely related and dependent on what you find (if anything!), but let's say your typical early character comes across only leather armor and leather boots, you want maybe +12 min. evasion, but if you add a shield and gauntlets and helm to that, maybe +9 is safe for a while. As long as your melee bonus is +8-10, you can focus on evasion, which I find more important to surviving a simple melee/evasion build.
    You are on something strange

Comment

• Starhawk
      Adept
      • Sep 2010

A lot of my characters don't find any armor worth mentioning before getting swarmed. Usually what kills me is getting surprised by a group of enemies popping out from somewhere I didn't expect -- a staircase, or a room I've already cleared. I end up getting hemmed in and whittled down.

I just started a new character after making my last post and seem to have struck a little bit of luck. I fell down a shaft to 300' before I thought I was ready... but landed in a room right next to the Shortsword of Galadriel! Shortly thereafter had a Shield of Protection drop off a unique orc (!). I quickly took Parry and I'm sitting pretty with [+18, 5-15] defenses and Riposte.

Now I really need to figure out a viable way to move forward -- trying to decide if I need more Stealth/Will/Perception and their associated abilities, or if I should really stick with Melee and Evasion only.

Comment

• Psi
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Galadriel is a beautiful weapon. Works really well for high evasion characters and also for assassination builds. However single dice weapons are often not strong enough in the early game, so you probably want a longsword to hand too.

Around 300', you want to have 3 perception for Keen Senses with a view to eventually rising to 7 for taking Lore Keeper and Master if you want to avoid the id mini-game.

Will depends on your build. 5 would be my minimum in order to get inner light, which you want when lurking horrors and shadow spiders start showing up. Hardiness and Poison resistance are also useful, though less critical for stealth builds.

If you go the assassination route then you want plenty of stealth and associated abilities. Personally I like to take 6 points regardless, so I can get opportunist (also has prereqs in melee tree) which makes life *so* much easier when chasing down bad guys.

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Shameless plug if you're looking for help: http://www.youtube.com/user/silstreamer

Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• fizzix
            Prophet
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by debo
            Shameless plug if you're looking for help: http://www.youtube.com/user/silstreamer

speaking of. what ever happened to that character? Did he get lost in FA's wilderness?

Comment

• Starhawk
              Adept
              • Sep 2010

Aaaaaaaaaargh, I just bought Inner Light per your advice, then found armor that grants the ability. I don't suppose they stack in any way...

Comment

• Patashu
                Knight
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Starhawk
                Aaaaaaaaaargh, I just bought Inner Light per your advice, then found armor that grants the ability. I don't suppose they stack in any way...
                It means you can ditch the armour for something without inner light later, though.
                My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Starhawk
                  Adept
                  • Sep 2010

Oh, alas... penned in by Delthaur, Balrog of Terror, when tangling with my first Lurking Horror. Curses, Curses, Curses.

Comment

• half
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Starhawk
                    Oh, alas... penned in by Delthaur, Balrog of Terror, when tangling with my first Lurking Horror. Curses, Curses, Curses.
                    The Sil community is very active on the Sil ladder. If you post your character dumps there, you will receive lots of comments about what to do next.

Comment

• Starhawk
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by half
                      The Sil community is very active on the Sil ladder. If you post your character dumps there, you will receive lots of comments about what to do next.
                      I will do that if I ever get another viable character. If I wasn't clear, this one met a horrible, gnashing, fiery death.

On the up side, I did make it to 700' and was feeling like the game wasn't hopeless...

Comment

• debo
                        Veteran
                        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by fizzix
                        speaking of. what ever happened to that character? Did he get lost in FA's wilderness?
                        Life got really busy, and then the Sil competition happened. I played about 10 chars in a row and got kinda burnt out on the game. I started looking for something more 'relaxing' than Sil and FAangband fell into my lap. I accidentally got addicted to it...

Comment

• getter77
                          Adept
                          • Dec 2009

Heh, sounds like we have another fine candidate for some videos then! Especially as the world is pretty bereft of such for FAangband---latest updates especially.

Comment

• debo
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

The only problem is that 70% of the video is going to be me complaining about how stupid hounds are lol

Seriously people. They suck

Comment

• fizzix
                              Prophet
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by debo
                              The only problem is that 70% of the video is going to be me complaining about how stupid hounds are lol

Seriously people. They suck
                              remove them from the monster list and play a "houndless" game. If that feels too cheap, put their rarity at the rarest setting. Anyway, probably shouldn't continue this topic here. Sil was kind enough to remove hounds.

Comment

• half
                                Knight
                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by fizzix
                                remove them from the monster list and play a "houndless" game. If that feels too cheap, put their rarity at the rarest setting. Anyway, probably shouldn't continue this topic here. Sil was kind enough to remove hounds.
                                At the very least, halve their frequency. This is how I used to play V (after my first couple of wins). They had been *clearly* too common in V, and only some kind of traditionalism stopped some people from noticing this. It was bizarrely Angband, the game of Hounds. Hopefully FA has already reduced the frequency from the V levels...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎