X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

New angband.live server

We've moved to a new server with more power, which should be a mostly invisible change except perhaps we might get fewer file table overflows and less slowdown in recent versions of V.

Posting to mark the occassion, to give myself a new thread to post about angband.live in, and also to thank everyone who signed up to sponsor the site, and kt/TheQuest for having provided hosting this past year or so.
  • MITZE
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2017

I think I have noticed slight gameplay speed improvements with the new server, but I'm not positive that it's not just confirmation bias or whatever.
    Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Bostock
      Swordsman
      • Aug 2007

Days since nuclear accident: 1

(which is above the previous average so it's a good sign)
      So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• Sphara
        Knight
        • Oct 2016

Jfc.. I wrote a long answer and it got wiped out for log-in timeout (please extend that if possible).

In short: I've seen the online 4.2.0. become quicker. Not nearly as good as offline but at least it has been somewhat playable. Not such as like month ago, when the first level already was massively lagging as you mapped/lighted few rooms.

Comment

• murphy
          Adept
          • Sep 2009

Just wanted to issue a blanket apology for not chatting on the live server. When I play from my 8 year old netbook (chrome 23!) the games play fine, but theres no chat panel. I'm not complaining, I think its awesome that it works!

Comment

• anselmus
            Rookie
            • Apr 2020

Is it possible to play angband.live from terminal with 'ssh' command? I've been trying it but with no luck.

Comment

• Gwarl
              Administrator
              • Jan 2017

Yes it's not an ssh server sorry, it only has a browser interface.

Comment

• anselmus
                Rookie
                • Apr 2020

Originally posted by Gwarl
                Yes it's not an ssh server sorry, it only has a browser interface.
                No problem. Thanks you very much for sharing your work.

Comment

• Estie
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2008

I wonder, would it be possible/an arduous task to somehow run the game on each players client, but update the state to the server constantly ? So as to shift the response delay to the server side and reestablish a fluid play.

I assume it would require installing some client software locally.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

@Estie--
                    Yes. It's called Mangband. I suspect it'd be easier to make Mangband single player than write another client.

Comment

• tangar
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                      @Estie--
                      Yes. It's called Mangband. I suspect it'd be easier to make Mangband single player than write another client.
                      It's already there too You can play MAng singleplayer - just use PWMA or Tangaria with on local - it will work as turn-based game with this option

Code:
                      # Option: turn-based mode (for single player games).
                      # HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL: makes the server turn-based if there is only
                      # one player connected.
                      TURN_BASED = true
                      https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
                      tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
                      tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
                      youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• MicroChasm
                        Apprentice
                        • Feb 2020

Is there any way to change the background color for your game on Angband.live? I like customizing the fonts and colors, and the colors I would like to use would look great on a greyish background instead of black.

I have tried changing the background color in-game in Sil-q and FCB to no avail.

Comment

• smbhax
                          Swordsman
                          • Oct 2021

Originally posted by MicroChasm
                          Is there any way to change the background color for your game on Angband.live? I like customizing the fonts and colors, and the colors I would like to use would look great on a greyish background instead of black.

I have tried changing the background color in-game in Sil-q and FCB to no avail.
                          Angband (nightly build) is the only one with reasonably functional background color editing support, as far as I know--via the "c) Edit colours (advanced)" menu option.

Looks like the background color you set for the game itself doesn't necessarily work flawlessly in angband.live's optional subwindows, though.

(I've entered this as an issue on the Angband git: https://github.com/angband/angband/issues/5174)
                          Last edited by smbhax; December 9, 2021, 00:07.
                          My Angband videos

Comment

• judias
                            Rookie
                            • Jun 2019

Playing in angband.live angband 4.2.0 as I began my fight with Morgoth it threw me out and I can not enter again in my game. Is there any option to recover the save or load a save of last day?

Many thanks

Comment

• smbhax
                              Swordsman
                              • Oct 2021

Originally posted by judias
                              Playing in angband.live angband 4.2.0 as I began my fight with Morgoth it threw me out and I can not enter again in my game. Is there any option to recover the save or load a save of last day?

Many thanks
                              I just had that happen to me in ToME 2 (tab closed abruptly as I was hammering CTRL+q to get that intro text thing I think--probably accidentally hit CTRL+w = o)--account "smbhax" if anyone wants to fix it. ^_ ^

With Angband there's a "delete & download savefile" button just above the "PLAY" button. Not sure exactly what that does... Sounds like it could potentially get you a local copy of your character to play on your own...but deletes the online one? I haven't tried it. = o
                              My Angband videos

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍