Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

I don't remember which thread it was on, but just wanted to say that the changes needed by the borg are currently in angband/master.
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Nolendil
      Adept
      • May 2007

Hey,

Long time since I posted in this forum, but I keep following the news when I can and I always have a borg running on my computer at work.
      Even if I don't have time to play, at least, there's a game running on my computer

So, today, I caught one reason for the Borg getting stuck in a loop (I think it's what is referred as "bouncing-borg" in the messages) and since I don't know where to report it, I thought I might post it here...
      The reason is pretty simple: the Borg found The Iron Helm of Gorlim which is Heavily cursed, he tried to destroy it, it didn't work, he dropped it, moved one step away, came back, picked up the Helm again and repeated the whole process again.

I always feel a bit sorry for the Borg when I see him stuck in those loops. Sometimes, I even take control in hope I can give some help to that miserable soul
      Maybe some special treatment could be applied to Heavily cursed items to avoid this case?
      I'm using the latest version of the Borg for 320 (4 April 2011), btw.

Anyway, thanks for still updating the Borg, it's one of the most awesome software I've been using for years and it never ceases to entertain me
      A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
      A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
      C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• APWhite
        Adept
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Nolendil
        Hey,

So, today, I caught one reason for the Borg getting stuck in a loop (I think it's what is referred as "bouncing-borg" in the messages) and since I don't know where to report it, I thought I might post it here...
        The reason is pretty simple: the Borg found The Iron Helm of Gorlim which is Heavily cursed, he tried to destroy it, it didn't work, he dropped it, moved one step away, came back, picked up the Helm again and repeated the whole process again.

I always feel a bit sorry for the Borg when I see him stuck in those loops. Sometimes, I even take control in hope I can give some help to that miserable soul
        Maybe some special treatment could be applied to Heavily cursed items to avoid this case?
        I'm using the latest version of the Borg for 320 (4 April 2011), btw.

EDIT:
        This is now fixed. Tested and seems to be ok.

Anyway, thanks for still updating the Borg, it's one of the most awesome software I've been using for years and it never ceases to entertain me
        When you encounter problems with the borg, you send the savefile and a brief description to me at andrew@innovapain.com.

The borg is supposed to know that certain objects need to be left on the ground. It sounds like he is doing most of the process right (he knows he can't destroy it, so he drops it). He is supposed to know to not pick it up again. There is a list of bad_objects[] that he won't pick up.

There have been a number of bad loops introduced in 320 ::Evil_glaring_eyes_at_the_Dev_team:: I will test this one out and make sure it gets fixed. Thanks for the note.
        Last edited by APWhite; April 16, 2011, 05:01.
        St George Chiropractor
        Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by APWhite
          There have been a number of bad loops introduced in 320 ::Evil_glaring_eyes_at_the_Dev_team:: I will test this one out and make sure it gets fixed. Thanks for the note.
          Heh - wait until you see 3.3

Awesome job keeping up with the rapid changes.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Could you be a bit more specific? Did you mean buggy loops (like I forgot the null terminator in slay_table so d_m had to rewrite all the loops in slays.c) or loops which work but cause problems? Can you describe them, either here or at trac.rephial.org? I'm happy to try and fix them.
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• takkaria
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
              Could you be a bit more specific? Did you mean buggy loops (like I forgot the null terminator in slay_table so d_m had to rewrite all the loops in slays.c) or loops which work but cause problems? Can you describe them, either here or at trac.rephial.org? I'm happy to try and fix them.
              I think APW means loops in the borg, not in our code. The glare is because lots of game internals have changed, I'm guessing...
              takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Magnate
                Angband Devteam member
                • May 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                I think APW means loops in the borg, not in our code. The glare is because lots of game internals have changed, I'm guessing...
                [fx: innocent grin]

But that's all for the better ;-)
                "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Nolendil
                  Adept
                  • May 2007

When you encounter problems with the borg, you send the savefile and a brief description to me at andrew@innovapain.com.
                  Oops, I didn't make a copy of the savefile and it's now lost.
                  I'll try and remember that for next time. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT:
                  This is now fixed. Tested and seems to be ok.
                  Great, thanks for the quick fix, awesome
                  A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)

Comment

• jtwadsworth
                    Rookie
                    • Apr 2011

Borg getting stuck

Borg seems to get stuck on my 3.2.0 compile in OS X when doing certain things such as:

Trying to destroy an artifact {cursed}
                    Trying to brand missiles
                    Trying to enchant with a scroll

It seems the keypresses are not correct; perhaps they changed in 3.2.0 with the quiver?

jtw

Comment

• APWhite
                      Adept
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by jtwadsworth
                      Borg seems to get stuck on my 3.2.0 compile in OS X when doing certain things such as:

Trying to destroy an artifact {cursed}
                      Trying to brand missiles
                      Trying to enchant with a scroll

It seems the keypresses are not correct; perhaps they changed in 3.2.0 with the quiver?

jtw
                      Each of these three were known and fixed with the update from april 15. If you are using source code from after that date and still having a problem. Let me know.
                      St George Chiropractor
                      Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Gorbad
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 2008

What I also saw, is that the Borg really doesn't like {!*} inscriptions, it's not inscriptions in general, things like {@m1@b1@G1} work fine, it's jut the negation inscriptions. No big deal to not use them, I just noticed it from a savefile with auto inscriptions.

Comment

• APWhite
                          Adept
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Gorbad
                          What I also saw, is that the Borg really doesn't like {!*} inscriptions, it's not inscriptions in general, things like {@m1@b1@G1} work fine, it's jut the negation inscriptions. No big deal to not use them, I just noticed it from a savefile with auto inscriptions.
                          Interesting. The borg has been able to de-inscribe an "!" object. That has been in place for years.

<checking>
                          Ahhh, looks like the game is asking for a confirmation now. NP. Fixed.
                          St George Chiropractor
                          Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Netbrian
                            Adept
                            • Jun 2009

Thanks for working on this!

When I make the play window too big, I get the following message -- do you know why? I'm running this on Windows 7.

---------------------------
                            Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
                            Assertion failed!

Program: D:\Games\Roguelikes\angband-3.2.0\ANGBAND.EXE
                            File: .\src\cave.c
                            Line: 948

Expression: y < DUNGEON_HGT

For information on how your program can cause an assertion
                            failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)
                            Abort Retry Ignore

Comment

• Nolendil
                              Adept
                              • May 2007

Oh, that's right, I always forget to report this.
                              I had the same issue as Netbrain on XP and Win7. This error has been around for a long time.
                              I think I usually fix it by using a bigger font size so, apparently, the problem comes from the number of characters displayed, not directly from the window size.

Comment

• APWhite
                                Adept
                                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Netbrian
                                Thanks for working on this!

When I make the play window too big, I get the following message -- do you know why? I'm running this on Windows 7.

Expression: y < DUNGEON_HGT
                                Yes. It is related to how the screensaver is trying to calculate panels. The big screen issues have been known for a while but I can't seem to nail down the solution. Each attempt seems to create a memory overrun. When I fixed the message parsing and reading, then something else gets whacked. Until it is fixed, it is better not to run the screensaver with the big screen mode.
                                St George Chiropractor
                                Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡