X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • APWhite
    Adept
    • Jul 2007

Borg for 320 is running.

The borg for 320 is running. I have to play test it for a while. There are some subtle changes in the game code that are causing problems. But they are being hammered out.

There are still some problems with the screensaver. But I will get to it.

Another issue is with the game giving the message "Type '?' for help." whenever the ESC or Space is hit. The borg uses ESC and Space a lot for clearing messages and catching up. So it would be nice if the game did not give this report for those two keys.

Andrew

Last edited by APWhite; January 9, 2011, 04:34.
    St George Chiropractor
    Angband Borg Homepage
  • d_m
    Angband Devteam member
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by APWhite
    Another issue is with the game giving the message "Type '?' for help." whenever the ESC or Space is hit. The borg uses ESC and Space a lot for clearing messages and catching up. So it would be nice if the game did not give this report for those two keys.
    This is fixed in HEAD.

If you want I can probably find the diff for you, I think it's a small change.
    linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• flechette
      Scout
      • Sep 2008

This news makes me immensely happy.

Comment

• APWhite
        Adept
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by d_m
        This is fixed in HEAD.

If you want I can probably find the diff for you, I think it's a small change.
        I got it. I just bracketed this error and the automatic savefile with #ifndef ALLOW_BORG

I do have some changes to the game code to help the borg. They are all marked. Search for apw in the game files included with the borg. There will be a few more as soon as I can figure out why the screensaver is freaky.
        St George Chiropractor
        Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Magnate
          Angband Devteam member
          • May 2007

I got it. I just bracketed this error and the automatic savefile with #ifndef ALLOW_BORG

I do have some changes to the game code to help the borg. They are all marked. Search for apw in the game files included with the borg. There will be a few more as soon as I can figure out why the screensaver is freaky.
          It occurs to me that the borg could be really useful for testing the staging branch (and indeed other dev branches). Can you give a brief description of what it logs, if anything? For testing purposes it would be good to focus on the game commands the borg executes, rather than the decision-making. But it would be helpful if the borg logged when it made use of o_ptr->known_flags etc. as this would help with bug-hunting.
          "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• APWhite
            Adept
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Magnate
            It occurs to me that the borg could be really useful for testing the staging branch (and indeed other dev branches). Can you give a brief description of what it logs, if anything? For testing purposes it would be good to focus on the game commands the borg executes, rather than the decision-making. But it would be helpful if the borg logged when it made use of o_ptr->known_flags etc. as this would help with bug-hunting.
            As far as logging, the borg has an option called borg_verbose which has him record a lot of information in the log; things like creating monsters, tracking movements of monsters and stuff like that. Most of it is designed for him reporting on his internal thought process.

He does log his commands and all his key-presses.

If you need him to give reports on flags, that is not hard to do. He knows the o_ptr->flags, but he is not allowed to use that information until the object is ID'd. The borg will keep a separate struct (borg_item) and will copy all the flags from o_ptr to borg_item. When he needs to think about those flags, he will do so by looking at borg_item.

If you needed him to stop when a certain item is found or a certain event occurs, he can be programmed to do that.

I am not opposed to having my code put up into a repository so long as only skilled people are modify it. The borg is really complex and tinkering in one area of the code, can have some bad side effects.

If you have a specific concern, let me know and I can describe how the borg could help.

By the way, the borg is crashing in resurrect_borg() with:
            Code:
                /* Clear the inventory */
                for (i = 0; i < ALL_INVEN_TOTAL; i++)
                {
            		object_wipe(&p_ptr->inventory[i]);
                }
            The error is:
            Code:
            Unhandled exception at 0x0055ebdf in Angband.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000.
            It appears that the borg is not being given access to p_ptr->inventory. If you can take a look at it, I'd appreciate it. This routine is critical to getting the screensaver up to date. Picture of the error and call stack below.
            APWhite

St George Chiropractor
            Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• takkaria
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007

By the way, the borg is crashing in resurrect_borg() with:
              Code:
                  /* Clear the inventory */
                  for (i = 0; i < ALL_INVEN_TOTAL; i++)
                  {
              		object_wipe(&p_ptr->inventory[i]);
                  }
              The error is:
              Code:
              Unhandled exception at 0x0055ebdf in Angband.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000000.
              It appears that the borg is not being given access to p_ptr->inventory. If you can take a look at it, I'd appreciate it. This routine is critical to getting the screensaver up to date. Picture of the error and call stack below.
              I think there's a bug somewhere that is causing memory to get overwritten in weird ways, since that backtrace is really weird (memset's paramaters are way off, when that call should be taking (object, 0, sizeof object_type)). No suggestions on how to fix it though, I'm afraid...

Something that might paper of the crack: now inventory is part of the player struct, you can remove separate inventory wiping, since you wipe the player anyway (line 3067 on the version from your website).
              takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Rosario
                Rookie
                • Jan 2011

I downloaded the borg from your site, and ran the .exe. My anti-virus software shut it down, saying it was acting funny. Help?

Comment

• APWhite
                  Adept
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rosario
                  I downloaded the borg from your site, and ran the .exe. My anti-virus software shut it down, saying it was acting funny. Help?
                  Did the AV say why it didn't like the borg?

Also, when did the AV freak out. Was it when you loaded up angband or after you hit ^zz and engaged the borg?

There is no malicious stuff in the borg. It does not access the internet or anything. Maybe because it sends keypresses.
                  St George Chiropractor
                  Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• buzzkill
                    Prophet
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by Rosario
                    Funny how? I mean, funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to *** amuse you? What do you mean funny. Funny how? How am I funny? (says the borg)

After viewing it this many times, I've concluded that funny is a funny looking word. There was no question at first, but after I while I began to wonder if it was misspelled, even though I knew it wasn't.
                    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• APWhite
                      Adept
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
                      Funny how? I mean, funny like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to *** amuse you? What do you mean funny. Funny how? How am I funny? (says the borg)

After viewing it this many times, I've concluded that funny is a funny looking word. There was no question at first, but after I while I began to wonder if it was misspelled, even though I knew it wasn't.
                      Started drinking early today. eh?
                      St George Chiropractor
                      Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• buzzkill
                        Prophet
                        • May 2008

Started drinking early today. eh?
                        Here at oook.cz, the phrase "It's five o'clock somewhere." actually holds water.
                        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
                        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Here at oook.cz, the phrase "It's five o'clock somewhere." actually holds water.
                          It's three o'clock here, and I don't think it's the water that's the problem
                          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Siggesigge
                            Scout
                            • Jul 2009

Yes, like newspaper and litter bin. Dreadful, tinny sort of words.

Comment

• Philip
                              Knight
                              • Jul 2009

Sausage, gorn, bound and vole are perfectly good words. Nice, woody words. Names can be tinny though, like Simkins. Leap is PVCish though. And yes, I did open the script to see the words.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎