Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Ah, flew right over me.

Comment

• PowerDiver
      Prophet
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Estie
      I was expressing my disappointment of this unusual find and the situation that I never want to wear purely AC over other magical properties like elvenkind. Judging by ladder dumps, this is an opinion shared by everyone. It is an old topic and has come up many times in the past. There have been many suggestions, discussions and debates, sometimes heated, because the game is close to our hearts. Is this forum no longer a place for that kind of exchange ?
      The problem is that breaths can instakill in 1 round, and melee usually cannot. Also, some breaths have side effects that might lead to instakill [stun] or weaken you for the rest of the game [disenchant].This is a game of worst case, at least for beginners and intermediates. If you want AC to matter, the loop of experimentation shoud be

while (ac does not matter enough)
      reduce all resistable damage by 25%
      increase all melee damage by 25%
      repeat

I don't see the point, but that kind of approach is the only way I believe the issue can be addressed.

Also, every time you add another monster like a wyrm of annihilation you exacerbate the pointlessness of ac. I think step 0 should be to remove the recent dangerous deep monster additions who have breath attacks before you even start the loop.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

AC doesn't mean that much in the lategame, true. Early on, OoD mithril chain or dragon mail can make a huge difference. And not just from the breath.

Comment

• Estie
          Veteran
          • Apr 2008

Its a combination of things: an example of a game where AC matters would be Nethack.
          1. The combat system is different.
          2. The cost to disengage from melee is substantially higher.
          3. There are fewer protective things AC has to compete with.

Of these, the killer is 2.; you can remove phase door, but it wouldnt be Angband anymore.

Comment

• fruviad
            Apprentice
            • Jan 2011

A nice end-game find:

the Mace of Narmedin (5d4) (+24,+14) [+11] <+4, +5, +6, +1, +3>
            Found lying on the floor in a vault at 4650 feet (level 93)

+4 strength.
            +5 intelligence.
            +6 wisdom.
            +1 dexterity.
            +3 constitution.
            +3 speed.
            +1 light.
            Slays undead (powerfully), dragons (powerfully), demons (powerfully), giants, trolls, orcs, animals, evil creatures.
            Branded with weak lightning, poison.
            Provides immunity to cold.
            Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, light, dark, sound, shards.
            Provides protection from fear, blindness.
            Cannot be harmed by acid, fire.
            Sustains strength.
            Slows your metabolism. Grants the ability to see invisible things. Prevents paralysis. Aggravates creatures nearby.

Combat info:
            4.0 blows/round.
            Average damage/round: 442.3 vs undead, dragons, and demons, 332.7vs giants, trolls, orcs, and creatures not resistant to poison,
            277.9 vs evil creatures, creatures not resistant to lightning, and animals, and 223.1 vs. others.

My mage had it equipped, so the melee bonuses were never used.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎