2894.5 vs. demons
    Balrog of Moria: Feel my wrath!
    You: *WHACK*
    Balrog: That's just unfair. <dies>

Comment

• Philip
      Knight
      • Jul 2009

Yeah, the demon damage is nice, but you can't ignore the Acid Brand. Hi sauron!

Comment

• PowerWyrm
        Prophet
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Estie
        Without the +2 off weapon blows, it would be about 1065 acid, 1477 demon, 730 other.
        That's sick. What does provide +2 EA? Gloves?
        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Philip
          Yeah, the demon damage is nice, but you can't ignore the Acid Brand. Hi sauron!
          When Rings of Acid still gave you brand I usually used that and MoD or BoC of Fury +2 against Sauron. 1000+ damage was not uncommon even with Priest. Against Morgoth there was some competition from other weapons, but not much (fury weapons had +25+ to_dam usually).

High-dice extra blow weapons can still be rather good even without any other bonuses, and MoD has inherit slay undead.

Comment

• Estie
            Veteran
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
            That's sick. What does provide +2 EA? Gloves?
            Body armor, and it was one of the big ones (deathwreaker or bladeturner base, dont recall which).

Its a project where some character died, I checked the artifact list and made a new one with same artifacts, playing till I found all the goodies. In a normal playthrough you dont get such a setup :P

Nonetheless, it was fun.

Comment

• donalde
              Apprentice
              • Jun 2007

My HT Ranger (clvl 28, dlvl 30) was wearing long bow of power (+16, +15), doing decent damage with 2 shots / round. Then Mim dropped this game changer:

Code:
              i) the Wicker Shield of Idrimlaid [2,+16] <+2>
                   Dropped by Mîm, Betrayer of Turin at 1500 feet (level 30).

+2 shooting speed.
                   Provides resistance to fire, cold.
                   Cannot be harmed by acid, electricity, fire, cold.
                   Prevents paralysis.
              I think that is best shield I have seen for ranger...

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                Prophet
                • Apr 2008

Am I the only one to think that extra shots on anything other than a shooter feels really WRONG???
                PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• donalde
                  Apprentice
                  • Jun 2007

Am I the only one to think that extra shots on anything other than a shooter feels really WRONG???
                  I think extra shots and extra blows should come only from rings or from gloves

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Well, that's random artifacts for you. They're random. Off-weapon blows, and off-launcher shots, are both really powerful, though, which means that the artifact ought not to have many other abilities even if it's based on a powerful standard artifact. Frankly I'm kind of surprised we're still seeing +2 shots on randarts.

Comment

• donalde
                      Apprentice
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                      Well, that's random artifacts for you. They're random. Off-weapon blows, and off-launcher shots, are both really powerful, though, which means that the artifact ought not to have many other abilities even if it's based on a powerful standard artifact. Frankly I'm kind of surprised we're still seeing +2 shots on randarts.
                      I play angband-v3.5-dev-443-gc244371, if that has anything to do with this issue.

Comment

• Estie
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by donalde
                        I think extra shots and extra blows should come only from rings or from gloves
                        I understand the feeling, however things like that make for a boring itemisation mini-game.
                        Currently, even with randarts the optimal setups look very much alike:
                        1 speed ring, 1 damage ring, speed boots, whatever damage mods you can get in other slots while maintaining vitals such as ESP or poison resistance.

ESP can come from many sources (ego items, not artifacts; ESP in otherwise useful artifacts is rare) so that makes for somewhat of a variation. Id prefer much, much more of it though rather than less.

Comment

• Nomad
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

Code:
                          a) the Lance 'Rialdir' (6d8) (+11,+15)
                               Dropped by Orfax, Son of Boldor at 500 feet (level 10).

Provides resistance to nexus.
                               Grants the ability to see invisible things.  

Combat info:
                               1.1 blows/round.
                               With +5 STR and +0 DEX you would get 1.3 blows
                               With +0 STR and +1 DEX you would get 1.3 blows
                               Average damage/round: 57.
                          ...That's a lotta damage dice to have on a weapon dropped at 500'.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nomad
                            Code:
                            a) the Lance 'Rialdir' (6d8) (+11,+15)
                                 Dropped by Orfax, Son of Boldor at 500 feet (level 10).
                            ...That's a lotta damage dice to have on a weapon dropped at 500'.
                            Too bad it's Lance. It takes some time to get stats high enough for that to beat lighter weapons.

Comment

• fruviad
                              Apprentice
                              • Jan 2011

I find the name appropriate! Lagduf is indeed a moron for carrying a blade that can slay him...
                              Not stupid at all. If he's carrying it, nobody can use it against him!

Comment

• Estie
                                Veteran
                                • Apr 2008

the Pair of Mithril Shod Boots 'Archal' [8,+21] <+12>
                                -----------------------------------------------------
                                +12 stealth, speed.
                                Provides resistance to light, chaos.
                                Prevents paralysis. Aggravates creatures nearby.

Min Level 53, Max Level 127, Generation chance 2, Power 338, 4.0 lbs
                                Based on Doomcaller.

From the set of my latest character (who didnt find the boots...thankfully). I would call them cursed.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎