X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by budswell
    Press = for options and then choose "Window Options".
    You can then assign what you want to which window.
    I typically have 4:
    - Inventory
    - Recall
    - Monster list (which I need to look at more - so many stupid deaths)
    Same setup I have been using. 1080p monitor. Although recently I have been thinking about moving to a 4k monitor.

Comment

• budswell
      Adept
      • Jun 2008

Which stat does a mummy get SP and fail rates from?
      Couldn't find it in the race help. Is there a table somewhere I am missing?
      http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
      http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• Sideways
        Knight
        • Nov 2008

Which stat does a mummy get SP and fail rates from?
        Couldn't find it in the race help.
        Charisma. It ought to be highlighted in the race help.
        The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• budswell
          Adept
          • Jun 2008

Ah gotcha. In purple. Missed it as assumed my SP stat would not have a -1.

Thanks again for your fantastic support of this cool game

Comment

• budswell
            Adept
            • Jun 2008

So one thing I noticed with my demon summoner.
            When things are going horribly wrong (and so I really need my human shield) when I try to move past a pet, it will not let me.
            At the time I was bleeding, dazed, poisoned, and afraid (f@$#!*g boulder). The message says
            Code:
            You attack your Tengu: You are too afraid to attack it! *Ouch!*
            So is it the fact I was afraid that I could not push past my pet (if so is it intended or a bug - e.g. fear check before pet check)? Or is it because I was dazed?

Had happenned once before, but this time I paid more attention.

Comment

• Sideways
              Knight
              • Nov 2008

So one thing I noticed with my demon summoner.
              When things are going horribly wrong (and so I really need my human shield) when I try to move past a pet, it will not let me.
              At the time I was bleeding, dazed, poisoned, and afraid (f@$#!*g boulder). The message says
              Code:
              You attack your Tengu: You are too afraid to attack it! *Ouch!*
              So is it the fact I was afraid that I could not push past my pet (if so is it intended or a bug - e.g. fear check before pet check)? Or is it because I was dazed?

Had happenned once before, but this time I paid more attention.
              There are various reasons that can happen, but in this case it was because you were dazed.

Comment

• Bucephalus
                Apprentice
                • Jul 2016

Here is a long list of Salmiak bugs and/or design notes. I apologize for the length. The new version is great and I appreciate all that you do, Sideways.

"Astral Guide" doesn't decrease teleport energy for Mirror Masters' "Warped Mirror" or "Mirror of Wandering".

Mana storms can destroy adamantite plate mail but not wooden doors. Please add a suit of armor made from doors.

Multi-hued dragons of every stripe breathe acid less powerfully than the other elements, so this might be intentional, but nevertheless does not make sense.

"Stair Creation" doesn't give a status message to indicate whether the stairs actually go up or down.

Having *Recharging* on the Stone of Sorcery is silly when the only magic realm that benefits from the stone already has the spell.

Doppelgangers mimicking humans get their racial bonus but not their racial disadvantage.

Ninja (Lawyers') Fast Walk stacks with Fleet of Foot. Mystics' Quick Approach probably should too, but doesn't.

Warrior Mages' and Monks' descriptions say they'll eventually learn every spell in their chosen realm but they often don't.

Warrior Mages don't seem to benefit from Easy Spell or Decrease Mana.

Anti-magic works on breaths.

Amulets and rings don't apply bonus damage to monster spells, and nothing applies bonus spellpower to monster spells.

Sacred Vitality only affects some healing spells and some healing potions, but doesn't affect staves or rods at all.

Skillmasters get almost double the Martial Arts AC bonus that monks do.

Uniques in capture balls act like standarts when they're misplaced or destroyed—the monster is still alive, but it won't ever respawn. Is this intended?

Ultimate Beholders' melee attack is also a ranged attack which can "bounce". This leads to weird behavior if you have reflection—what hits them isn't their own melee attack, but yours.

You can't turn off pets' debuff spells. Stealth gets hosed when your pet (or your mount) is randomly casting debuffs on sleeping monsters in line of sight. It's bad enough that pets will attack sleeping monsters in melee whenever they can.

It would be great if "upkeep" respected mana regeneration. If you manage to capture the Unicorn of Order, you can ride it around for about 30 seconds before it feels neglected and disappears.

Now that we've got multiple fishingpoles, any chance of fishingpole weaponmasters in the next release?

Items in Frog don't have level-based restrictions because that would violate the spirit of character progression: better stuff makes you stronger and being stronger lets you to find better stuff. Possessors' level restrictions seem to work against this spirit. If you kill a GWoP at level 35 and it drops a corpse, you should be able to possess it, because that's *really* impressive!

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                  Swordsman
                  • Feb 2009

There is something completely Evil but entertaining about a Thrall Mode start.

I think I burned through 50 characters in less than double that minutes. The last one, cast Detect Monsters, only to spot some dark god that melted my brain. lol

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

A small quality of life request. I'd like a quicklink on the character sheet to the resistance display. Quite often when I'm gear swapping I'll access this a lot to check if everything is covered.

Comment

• Sideways
                      Knight
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bucephalus
                      "Astral Guide" doesn't decrease teleport energy for Mirror Masters' "Warped Mirror" or "Mirror of Wandering".
                      Thanks, will look into this.

Multi-hued dragons of every stripe breathe acid less powerfully than the other elements, so this might be intentional, but nevertheless does not make sense.
                      I suspect it's not that they breathe acid less powerfully, but that armor halves acid damage, making it appear less powerful.

Having *Recharging* on the Stone of Sorcery is silly when the only magic realm that benefits from the stone already has the spell.
                      Never used it much myself either, but I've seen Bostock get decent use out of that stone as an endgame swap item.

Doppelgangers mimicking humans get their racial bonus but not their racial disadvantage.
                      Needs to be fixed, thanks.

Ninja (Lawyers') Fast Walk stacks with Fleet of Foot. Mystics' Quick Approach probably should too, but doesn't.
                      I agree that would make sense, at least insofar as neither Fleet of Foot nor Quick Approach explicitly indicates they don't stack.

This will require some tweaks in the code, since currently Quick Approach essentially just gives temporary Fleet of Foot; but it should be easy to either use ninja-like code or simply insert a mystic hack in the walking energy calculations. The former would cause Quick Approach to give zero regen like ninja quick walk; not sure if that's desirable or not, it's somewhat out of line with the other mystic toggles but provides at least a nominal nerf.

Warrior Mages' and Monks' descriptions say they'll eventually learn every spell in their chosen realm but they often don't.
                      I'll tweak the wording a bit, though there really aren't very many spells they miss out on.

Warrior Mages don't seem to benefit from Easy Spell or Decrease Mana.
                      To begin with I was in two minds about this; I'm pretty sure the current situation is by design rather than oversight.

But ultimately, there's probably no reason why Warrior-Mages shouldn't be allowed Es/Dm; it's thematic and gives them a bit more separation from other melee hybrid classes, without being likely to buff them too much.

Anti-magic works on breaths.
                      The player's anti-magic barriers and psionic disruption do not work on breaths, so I assume this refers to mimics and possessors? That does seem somewhat off (especially given that it only works that way for the player), I'll look into it.

Amulets and rings don't apply bonus damage to monster spells, and nothing applies bonus spellpower to monster spells.
                      Thanks, one day I'll get around to that and other Possessor improvements like [shudder] a better average damage display.

Sacred Vitality only affects some healing spells and some healing potions, but doesn't affect staves or rods at all.
                      Works fine on everything when I test it, and I've never had any problems with it in practice either. Is there some specific situation where it fails to work?

Skillmasters get almost double the Martial Arts AC bonus that monks do.
                      Cannot reproduce. (Note that the AC bonuses depend greatly both on CL and on which slots are empty; so a skillmaster might get double the bonus just from being more leveled-up.)

Uniques in capture balls act like standarts when they're misplaced or destroyed--the monster is still alive, but it won't ever respawn. Is this intended?
                      It's definitely intentional as long as the capture ball still exists and the unique is still inside it. The way the code's supposed to work is that you can't misplace or destroy a capture ball that has a unique in it without releasing the unique in the process; but (by design) nothing prevents you from filling your home with 100 capture balls with uniques in.

Ultimate Beholders' melee attack is also a ranged attack which can "bounce". This leads to weird behavior if you have reflection--what hits them isn't their own melee attack, but yours.
                      Thanks, there's probably also some other weirdness like this.

You can't turn off pets' debuff spells. Stealth gets hosed when your pet (or your mount) is randomly casting debuffs on sleeping monsters in line of sight. It's bad enough that pets will attack sleeping monsters in melee whenever they can.
                      Maybe there should be a pet option to disallow direct attacks against sleeping monsters unless that sleeping monster is also your pets' specified target?

It would be great if "upkeep" respected mana regeneration. If you manage to capture the Unicorn of Order, you can ride it around for about 30 seconds before it feels neglected and disappears.
                      There probably is room for improvement here (and maybe with the high upkeep of uniques in general), I'll try to think of something some day.

Now that we've got multiple fishingpoles, any chance of fishingpole weaponmasters in the next release?
                      I've always thought doing melee_challange entirely with a fishingpole would be fun; but fishingpole weaponmaster is a nice idea too

Not sure what special abilities they should have, besides presumably catching fish a bit more often...

Items in Frog don't have level-based restrictions because that would violate the spirit of character progression: better stuff makes you stronger and being stronger lets you to find better stuff. Possessors' level restrictions seem to work against this spirit. If you kill a GWoP at level 35 and it drops a corpse, you should be able to possess it, because that's *really* impressive!
                      I'm inclined to agree; but corpses are effectively also level-restricted at the other end - you can only level up so much in a low-level corpse. That is equally (or more) likely to annoy the player, but it also prevents @ from just finding one comfortable corpse and inhabiting it for the remainder of the game.

Maybe I could allow possessing high-level corpses at any CL, but make it easier to lose control of the body if @ is very low-level compared to the monster?

Comment

• Bucephalus
                        Apprentice
                        • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Sideways
                        The player's anti-magic barriers and psionic disruption do not work on breaths, so I assume this refers to mimics and possessors?
                        No. Thank you for clarifying. What I meant was, in the vanishingly rare circumstance that a Magic Mushroom or something anti-magics you so that you cannot cast spells, neither can you cast spells, nor breathe.

Arguably something should preclude you from breathing, but not that.

Comment

• Bucephalus
                          Apprentice
                          • Jul 2016

>It's definitely intentional as long as the capture ball still exists

What I'm saying is that it's specifically an issue when the capture ball does not exist because it was explicitly misplaced or destroyed. It's trivial to misplace or destroy a capture ball with a unique in it without releasing the unique.

>Not sure what special abilities they should have, besides presumably catching fish a bit more often...

Oh, I can help you there too.

Fishingpole masters should get a corpse 100% of the time (after all, fishingpole masters).

They should also get a fish 70-80% of the time. (let's be fair)

They should also be able to attack from 3 squares away in melee. (this honestly would not unbalance them)

I'm inclined to agree; but corpses are effectively also level-restricted at the other end - you can only level up so much in a low-level corpse. That is equally (or more) likely to annoy the player, but it also prevents @ from just finding one comfortable corpse and inhabiting it for the remainder of the game.

Maybe I could allow possessing high-level corpses at any CL, but make it easier to lose control of the body if @ is very low-level compared to the monster?
                          I agree. This is indeed really annoying. I think dispensing with the notion that, for instance, hill orcs can't face the Serpent, but snotling tourists can, would be a step in the right direction.

Possessors are legitimately supposed to circumvent normal character progression. Let them do it!

Comment

• Sideways
                            Knight
                            • Nov 2008

>It's definitely intentional as long as the capture ball still exists

What I'm saying is that it's specifically an issue when the capture ball does not exist because it was explicitly misplaced or destroyed. It's trivial to misplace or destroy a capture ball with a unique in it without releasing the unique.
                            Theft of occupied capture balls isn't adequately accounted for, I suppose; but that's a very rare occurrence. Are there any other ways this can happen?
                            Last edited by Sideways; December 3, 2020, 23:58.

Comment

• Bucephalus
                              Apprentice
                              • Jul 2016

Originally posted by Sideways
                              Theft of occupied capture balls isn't adequately accounted for, I suppose; but that's a very rare occurrence. Are there any other ways this can hgappen?
                              To be sure, I've never had an occupied capture ball stolen.

But, yeah: Dropping an occupied capture ball. Destroying (for whatever daft reason) an occupied capture ball.

I'm not saying it's a problem anyone is ever likely to run into. I'm just saying.

Comment

• Sideways
                                Knight
                                • Nov 2008

To be sure, I've never had an occupied capture ball stolen.

But, yeah: Dropping an occupied capture ball. Destroying (for whatever daft reason) an occupied capture ball.
                                Attempting either of those would automatically release the unique inside. (Selling a capture ball with a unique inside is also out, the shop will not accept it at all.)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎