X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by AppleBrandy
    So I'm trying to compile this in Windows Subsystem for Linux, and I'm hitting an odd snag. Getting all the way through the actual c files, but then:
    Code:
    Leaving directory src
    Entering directory lib
    Entering directory apex
    make[4]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    ../mk/buildsys.mk:117: recipe for target 'subdirs' failed
    And that brings everything to a halt with three layers of Error 2. Is the compilation process meant to enter /lib/apex?
    I'm not exactly sure what's happening there, but I have a pretty good idea. /lib/apex and several other directories have their own makefiles in Pos that are missing in Compos and FrogCompos. This has never caused a fatal error before (it's happened to me that it crashes after compiling, but that doesn't bother me too much). But if it crashed for you before it finished compiling I'll probably have to re-add those makefiles.

If it crashed for you after it created the .exe you can just eat the .exe and ignore the crash, though I should probably still re-add the makefiles.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Gwarl
      Administrator
      • Jan 2017

Yeah that was something I broke fairly early on, I think I figured out why at some point but didn't fix it because it doesn't actually break anything, you still get the binary file despite the error warning.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
        Apprentice
        • Jan 2009

How not to kill yourself with a Death Scythe?

I'm running a Vampire Monster who's found a Death Scythe, uncursed it, and enchanted it from 10d10 (-50, +30) up to 10d10 (+13,+30). It's great for hacking down everything, but has a very dangerous side effect. Every time you miss, there is a percent chance to hit yourself instead and take massive damage. I'm sure that two or more such backfires in one round of attacks, or a single *GREAT* critical hit would be lethal to the wielder. How to mitigate the risk? One thing I've already done is to maximize "to hit" bonus so that I miss my opponent less often. I also avoid using it against foes with high armor class.
        Question 1: When you swing and miss, how is the chance to hit yourself determined? Is it calculated as if you actually are trying to hit a copy of yourself? If so, increasing my AC in various ways, including Stone Skin, should help. Or is the game mechanism completely different, maybe based on a saving throw or a simple percentage? Question 2: Does the game realize that my Vampire Monster is an Evil Undead, and apply those slays to the self-inflicted damage I take?

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
          Apprentice
          • Jan 2009

Advice on artifact reforging

Looking for advice on reforging, especially going from one equipment slot to another. I'm aware that different slots now have different maximum values associated with them. I think I am seeing that when a try to reforge an artifact armor with a score of 100,000 onto a Feanorian Lamp and getting an light source artifact with a much much smaller score. Is it possible to increase the score by going in the opposite direction? Anybody know the maximum scores associated with each equipment slot? What rules of thumb do you use when reforging?

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ShadowTechnology
            Looking for advice on reforging, especially going from one equipment slot to another. I'm aware that different slots now have different maximum values associated with them. I think I am seeing that when a try to reforge an artifact armor with a score of 100,000 onto a Feanorian Lamp and getting an light source artifact with a much much smaller score. Is it possible to increase the score by going in the opposite direction? Anybody know the maximum scores associated with each equipment slot? What rules of thumb do you use when reforging?
            You cannot increase the score by going in the opposite direction.

See the reforging section near the end of the FAQ for tips.

The slot weights are currently as follows: armor/weapon - 80; bow - 60; ring - 55; shield - 52; helm/boots - 50; gloves - 45; cloak - 43; amulet - 40; lamp - 36; and there are a few special cases (guns are 40; harps are 50 for bards and 40 for non-bards; weapons with max dice < 12 are 80 as source items, but lower as destination items; and wizardstaves are 55 to prevent them from being completely destroyed by the penalty against low-dice weapons). So if you reforge a weapon onto an amulet you'll lose half the value in the slot downgrade.

The effective value of items whose power exceeds the slot weight multiplied by 1125 is capped to the slot weight multiplied by 1125, or the destination slot weight multiplied by 1125, whichever is higher. (That latter bit means you can reforge 95K Nenya into the armor slot and it works like a 80*1125=90K armor would, not like a 55*1125=62K armor.) That's a cap, though, it doesn't scale up items from low-weight slots, they need to have that value already.
            Last edited by Sideways; November 18, 2018, 16:21.

Comment

• ShadowTechnology
              Apprentice
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Sideways
              You cannot increase the score by going in the opposite direction.

See the reforging section near the end of the FAQ for tips.

The slot weights are currently as follows: armor/weapon - 80; bow - 60; ring - 55; shield - 52; helm/boots - 50; gloves - 45; cloak - 43; amulet - 40; lamp - 36; and there are a few special cases (guns are 40; harps are 50 for bards and 40 for non-bards; weapons with max dice < 12 are 80 as source items, but lower as destination items; and wizardstaves are 55 to prevent them from being completely destroyed by the penalty against low-dice weapons). So if you reforge a weapon onto an amulet you'll lose half the value in the slot downgrade.

The effective value of items whose power exceeds the slot weight multiplied by 1125 is capped to the slot weight multiplied by 1125, or the destination slot weight multiplied by 1125, whichever is higher. (That latter bit means you can reforge 95K Nenya into the armor slot and it works like a 80*1125=90K armor would, not like a 55*1125=62K armor.) That's a cap, though, it doesn't scale up items from low-weight slots, they need to have that value already.
              Thanks Sideways. Very useful (and also the bit in the FAQ).

Comment

• mewmew
                Apprentice
                • Jul 2014

i believe it's a minor bug with items identifying if you examine them in your home, works for consumables only apparently. noticed it in nougat too

Comment

• Sideways
                  Knight
                  • Nov 2008

Thanks. I know exactly what's causing that because I've seen the same information leak before in another context, I suppose I'll have to put together a more general fix this time.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Minor mimic stuff. Object detection senses potion mimics but not chest mimics. Detect door does not detect door mimics.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                      Swordsman
                      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
                      Minor mimic stuff. Object detection senses potion mimics but not chest mimics. Detect door does not detect door mimics.
                      Even when a Detect finds the mimics, they are revealed by observation as they vanish from screen with the next step as any other mob does.

Comment

• wobbly
                        Prophet
                        • May 2012

I looked at the ogre when deciding on my current character & I'm not seeing where it fits into the half-orc - ogre - half-giant scheme. To me it looks like a worse half-orc with a 30% extra xp penalty on top. For a warrior the half-giant is obviously better then the ogre. My understanding is ogre design is big-hp mage? Ok half-orc is -1 int, rdark & the numbers are awkward but does an ogre actually have more hps then a half-orc with the extra hp special?

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

I suspect half-giants were designed to be strong, and half-orcs were designed by Gwarl; so it's not surprising that ogres might not be as good.

Comment

• Gwarl
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2017

Nah Ogres were designed by Gwarl, half-orcs were copied from V.

The issue was that half-orcs had been removed at some point on account of half-ogres being better half-orcs.

I reimplimented half-orcs (with a human talent) and so I wanted to change ogres round a bit. I gave them better int so they could fit the trope of ogre-mages (they are the only giant race with better int than wis) but I was unwilling to make ogres more intelligent than humans.

They have better strength, con and LR than half orcs I think?

The extra talent is probably throwing the balance off.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                              Swordsman
                              • Feb 2009

Not a bug per se,
                              I recently found an Elven Cloak of Immolation [4, +15] (+1) {SlSr;Fi[Fi}
                              While it makes some sense that it is a light source, should that maybe be tagged? ie. 'Lu'

Comment

• TauzentBlitz
                                Scout
                                • May 2018

I think the ammo break chances on the Sniper's Holy Shot might be off... I haven't been keeping an exact count but it feels much higher than the 4% chance listed in my stats.

Also, the shots that guarantee ammo break don't mention it at all, either. When browsed they still say 4%.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎