• Show
Clear All
  • Sideways
    Knight
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Mocht
    I have had things disenchanted even though I had resistance
    In particular, a nice amulet on my dragon was disenchanted
    One level of resistance to anything is never perfect; it actually comes a lot closer with disenchantment than with pretty much anything else, but you still need two pips if you want to be completely safe. (It is true there are a couple of very rare effects that can disenchant you through resistance: one is a possible outcome of "wild magic" [random Trump/Chaos thing], and the other is a possible effect of a particularly nasty chest trap.)

The new personalities are still being tested, but Chaotic ought to be stable, so you can grab the development version from github if you want to try that.

I don't think non-selling characters have a long-term advantage in acquiring gold compared to selling characters, but it's possible they get more money (or at least more reliable money) at the very beginning of the game.
    The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by TheQuest
      Sideways, have you disabled "issues" on your github intentionally? I was thinking to post something there.
      Not sure. In any case, you can post the issue here, or if it also affects Composband you can make it Gwarl's issue

Unfortunately I'm a bit under the weather right now, so I may not be able to address the issue promptly.

Comment

• ghost0087
        Rookie
        • Apr 2018

Tiles set in xtra/graf folder

How do I get them to work? The Adom Bolts tile set. When I try to choose them, I get an error message saying can open file.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2009

Monk Stance

If I could post a request, could you look into Monk Stances? Just got the first one, Black Tortoise (Genbu) and it is WTF useless.

-1 Int
          -1 Wis
          -2 Dex
          +3 Con
          +11 AC
          -2.1 Blows per round
          -33% Damage to base damage (Melee 9.4 > 6.1)

So, for a minor boost to HP and Armor, you become absolutely trashed at everything else.

If the other stances follow this pattern, they might as well be removed entirely.

Comment

• EpicMan
            Swordsman
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
            If I could post a request, could you look into Monk Stances? Just got the first one, Black Tortoise (Genbu) and it is WTF useless.

-1 Int
            -1 Wis
            -2 Dex
            +3 Con
            +11 AC
            -2.1 Blows per round
            -33% Damage to base damage (Melee 9.4 > 6.1)

So, for a minor boost to HP and Armor, you become absolutely trashed at everything else.

If the other stances follow this pattern, they might as well be removed entirely.
            Samurais also have stances, with similar detriments, that should be looked at at the same time.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
              Swordsman
              • Feb 2009

Thank you Mocht!
              All-in-all they look pretty situational, but I'll note details as I level to them.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                Swordsman
                • Feb 2009

Bug?

I have a 'Rod of Detection', map is set to be marked by Find Traps. Yet, not 5 spaces from where I used the rod on Orc Caves L28 I just found a trap on the floor. No mobs in the room to cast, or scrolls read to Create Traps.
                Has detection a % chance to fail now?

Comment

• Gwarl
                  Administrator
                  • Jan 2017

Shelob is in Camelot, is that a bug
                  Reworking forest into witch wood was one of the first composband changes.

Comment

• Sideways
                    Knight
                    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
                    I have a 'Rod of Detection', map is set to be marked by Find Traps. Yet, not 5 spaces from where I used the rod on Orc Caves L28 I just found a trap on the floor. No mobs in the room to cast, or scrolls read to Create Traps.
                    Has detection a % chance to fail now?
                    That should not happen (unless your rod failed, of course, or the trap was created after you detected - though it's hard to see how that happens in your scenario). If the trap was there and not detected then it's a bug (and if the area was not really detected but was marked as detected, that's a bug too of course).

Do you have view_unsafe_grids on or off? (I'm guessing on from the description, but the map is still marked by trap detection with view_unsafe_grids off, just in a different way.)

Also, was it just the one trap, or a group of traps? Trap-creating monsters always try to create a group of traps, so if it was just the one trap (and there was room for other traps to be created near it) then that explanation can be rejected even more conclusively.

--

Shelob appearing in Camelot is not a bug; she's been able to appear anywhere ever since Gwarl turned Forest into Witch Wood.

Comment

• EpicMan
                      Swordsman
                      • Dec 2009

Are you sure the Samurai stances are bad
                      I looked at the code and Musou looks like Ultimate resistance, it looks so good I want to start a Samurai right now and abandon my Rune-Knight
                      (Looking at poschengband 5.0.5, may have changed since then)
                      Ok, Musou is ultimate resistance basically. So that's great. But Huujin and Kouki have pretty strong penalties, and Iai is risky too.

KATA_IAI ("Iai", unlocks at level 25)
                      -Take 20% more damage
                      -Get an attack on monsters before they melee you

KATA_FUUJIN ("Huujin", unlocks at lvl 30)
                      -75% chance to bounce the spell somewhere near the caster
                      -1 blows

KATA_KOUKIJIN ("Kouki", unlocks at level 35)
                      -No HP regeneration
                      -No pets (sp upkeep factor +100% of max sp)
                      -Minus 50 AC
                      -Vulnerability to base 4
                      -All Stats +5
                      -Boosted to hit chance +150
                      -Eating, quaffing, reading scroll,using a device, activating artifact, learning a new spell, using a power, ends the posture

KATA_MUSOU ("Musou", unlocks at level 40)
                      -Drains 2sp per turn, ends if you run out of SP
                      -Halves damage taken
                      -Resist base 4 + poison
                      -If you have enough mana, counter attack enemy melee attacks at the cost of 7sp
                      -Telepathy (including empty mind and weird mind creatures) up to 1/4 of max vision
                      -See invisible
                      -Free action
                      -Slow digest
                      -Fast regen
                      -Levitation
                      -Hold life
                      -Sustain all stats
                      -Normal telepathy
                      -Lite radius +1
                      -Reflection
                      -Auras of fire, cold, electricity
                      +100 AC
                      -Eating, quaffing, reading scroll,using a device, activating artifact, learning a new spell, using a power, ends the posture

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                        Swordsman
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Sideways
                        That should not happen (unless your rod failed, of course, or the trap was created after you detected - though it's hard to see how that happens in your scenario). If the trap was there and not detected then it's a bug (and if the area was not really detected but was marked as detected, that's a bug too of course).

Do you have view_unsafe_grids on or off? (I'm guessing on from the description, but the map is still marked by trap detection with view_unsafe_grids off, just in a different way.)

Also, was it just the one trap, or a group of traps? Trap-creating monsters always try to create a group of traps, so if it was just the one trap (and there was room for other traps to be created near it) then that explanation can be rejected even more conclusively.
                        view_unsafe_grids is on (yes)

It was just a single trap. I had just entered the level, used the Rod, then was walking across the room to an object on the floor when I got the trap discovery alert. I would send a save file, but the Monk has since died due to lack of adequate confusion resist. Oops

I have also seen what seems like a monster death leaving a trap. Not often enough to detail anything.

Comment

• Sideways
                          Knight
                          • Nov 2008

I think I found an error

My character has 1 level of light resistance and an Ethereal dragon breathes for 250 light damage, my character just got hit by one of those breaths and it hit for exactly 250 damage
                          The damages shown in monster listings take your resists into account, so 250 damage is what you should expect. An ethereal dragon breathes for 357 damage unresisted.

Comment

• Gwarl
                            Administrator
                            • Jan 2017

This completely clears Clouded of Chris's accusation
                            This is old news actually. It's to do with how they're identified by the code internally.

Comment

• Sideways
                              Knight
                              • Nov 2008

Hopefully fixed now.

Has anyone other than CyclopsSlayer experienced trap weirdness with view_unsafe_grids on? I haven't noticed anything with view_unsafe_grids off (I walk into traps, but that's just because monsters create them or I forget to detect); but it's possible a bug could be more noticeable with view_unsafe_grids on, like nikheizen's use-ID bug was.

Comment

• GenericPseudonym
                                Apprentice
                                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by EpicMan
                                (Looking at poschengband 5.0.5, may have changed since then)
                                Ok, Musou is ultimate resistance basically. So that's great. But Huujin and Kouki have pretty strong penalties, and Iai is risky too.

KATA_IAI ("Iai", unlocks at level 25)
                                -Take 20% more damage
                                -Get an attack on monsters before they melee you

KATA_FUUJIN ("Huujin", unlocks at lvl 30)
                                -75% chance to bounce the spell somewhere near the caster
                                -1 blows

KATA_KOUKIJIN ("Kouki", unlocks at level 35)
                                -No HP regeneration
                                -No pets (sp upkeep factor +100% of max sp)
                                -Minus 50 AC
                                -Vulnerability to base 4
                                -All Stats +5
                                -Boosted to hit chance +150

KATA_MUSOU ("Musou", unlocks at level 40)
                                -Drains 2sp per turn, ends if you run out of SP
                                -Halves damage taken
                                -Resist base 4 + poison
                                -If you have enough mana, counter attack enemy melee attacks at the cost of 7sp
                                -Telepathy (including empty mind and weird mind creatures) up to 1/4 of max vision
                                -See invisible
                                -Free action
                                -Slow digest
                                -Fast regen
                                -Levitation
                                -Hold life
                                -Sustain all stats
                                -Normal telepathy
                                -Lite radius +1
                                -Reflection
                                -Auras of fire, cold, electricity
                                +100 AC
                                A few corrections:
                                Huujin also grants reflection as long as the player is not blind. (You're supposedly cutting down the projectiles with your sword.)

Koukijin doesn't block pets, it just stops sp regen. You can have over 100% sp upkeep factor, which will mean that your sp slowly decreases over time when it would normally be regenerating. You are only forced to dismiss pets once you hit 0sp. (Upkeep factor is a percentage of regeneration, so a character with 75% upkeep takes four times as long to regen sp.)

Musou posture ends on a lot more actions than that, including moving and using melee attacks. All you can do is wait in place. The retaliation vs melee attacks and the massive defense boost still make it pretty handy for fighting hard-hitting melee enemies. But you only do damage if they attack you and get hit by retaliation, so it's not useful versus monsters that often cast spells.
                                Here's a funny example of the counter-attacking doing work.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎