X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poschengbandplayer
    Apprentice
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Arendil
    why are fast leveling, or infinity experience from a single monster issues at all?
    Well.I certainly would rather have fun if things would be slower,but I just can't bring myself to handicap my character!!If I can (ab)use something,I have to do it!I'm sure I'm not the only one with this sentiment,lol!

A big BUG report.There's a random staff\wand\whatever shop in Morivant.I found out that if all of your equipment slots are full,except one with the desired wand\staff\whatever,you can abuse this mechanic so that the shop only sells you the desired item.Example:All of your equipment slots are full with junk,except the last,which is a,lets say,staff of mana storm.When you try to buy something and the game generates anything but a staff of manastorm,you will get an error,saying "inventory full blabla",but when the game generates the staff of manastorm,it will stack.I haven't tested it,but i'm sure it's possible.

Oh,and something maybe *extremely* odd.Smeagol dropped THE ONE RING in my last game.my heart kinda skipped a beat.It happened in one of the random sea dungeons.Play time was 3 hours and level was 35,I didn't believe my luck,but after recalling and *identifying* it,I kinda got sad!perma curse?check!drain experience?check!aggrevating?hmm,still doable.Check!ancient curse???????????????!!!!!!!!urgh.I think this was a "only once in a lifetime" event,I don't think it will ever,ever happen again!
    Well,the reason I wrote this was that.I just want to know what the odd of it dropping was??my player char was a lucky amberite magic eater,level 35.in a depth of 2750-3700(random sea dungeon,I don't remember exact depth)smeagol was in a vault.the vault was one of those that look like a grid kinda,but not with permament walls,and by the time of the killing,smeagol was within the aforementioned vault.Somebody please calculate the chance of him dropping it?!!<3
    my lucky amberite(naphra) is dead now though.killed by a unresisted disenchantment breath(full hp-> -20hp).i don't think i will ever get so lucky again,so i won't beg for removal of aggrevation and ancient curse.lol.

Comment

• MarvinPA
      Scout
      • Jul 2013

It's a 1/666 chance I think (a good general rule from having looked at Poscheng code a bit is if some really ridiculous random thing happens, it probably had a 1/666 chance of happening :P).

Comment

• poschengbandplayer
        Apprentice
        • Apr 2014

i wasn't just ridiculous random!it was more lol!i am asking myself what the "plain ring" monster would have dropped?a randart ring? :/

Comment

• Djabanete
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by debo
          Idea: Give the Serpent a new ability. "Summon Metal Babbles" (6-12 of them.)

Alternately, make Metal Babbles breed explosively.
          That would only be balanced if Metal Babbles could also summon 6-12 Serpents of Chaos.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Djabanete
            That would only be balanced if Metal Babbles could also summon 6-12 Serpents of Chaos.
            Or summon 6-12 "Plain Gold Rings" or the Mad Chemist from Entroband (if Brian Barnes permits this).

Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; May 24, 2014, 03:08.
            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Arjen
              Adept
              • Dec 2010

Found a small glitch with xp drain (not from an item). You can restore your drained xp by mimicing into a form with a capped level below your max level. If you undo your mimicing afterwards you regain your full xp.

Comment

• Fnord
                Apprentice
                • May 2014

I know this is probably not gonna happen, but since you like suggestions:

I've always wondered why no variant offered recording games. You'd need the same version to playback (and probably would have to include all the editable data in the record), but I always thought it'd be awesome to be able to watch how exactly others play, at my own pace. You could "mark" highlights such as fun fights or interesting tactics for others to watch, perhaps you can comment at certain turns etc. Lots more of possible ideas (such as automated functions to skip to critical things - gear change, low health, big monster kill etc), but I don't want to make this too long.

It'd also allow for "fairer" competitions since anyone claiming a win would then have to provide a record.

Comment

• Patashu
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2008

It would probably be quicker to record a ttyrec of your gameplay than all the testing/bug fixing/patching that would be needed to have deterministic input recording and playback.
                  My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fnord
                    I know this is probably not gonna happen, but since you like suggestions:

I've always wondered why no variant offered recording games. You'd need the same version to playback (and probably would have to include all the editable data in the record), but I always thought it'd be awesome to be able to watch how exactly others play, at my own pace. You could "mark" highlights such as fun fights or interesting tactics for others to watch, perhaps you can comment at certain turns etc. Lots more of possible ideas (such as automated functions to skip to critical things - gear change, low health, big monster kill etc), but I don't want to make this too long.

It'd also allow for "fairer" competitions since anyone claiming a win would then have to provide a record.
                    Here is a thread discussing this idea.

I actually played with the idea of abandoning savefiles, and recording an initial seed and all the player moves, and re-opening the game just by replaying it. This is quite appealing, until you realise that it does not tolerate version changes at all. At any rate, I don't rule out putting a recording feature in at some stage.
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

I was killing dragons in mountainous area between Giant's Hall and Mountain, and a couple times I killed a dragon and it dropped a chest-sigil item called "(nothing)".

The first time I deliberately picked one up, and the second time I think I walked over it and it autopickuped (or I spammed 'get', not sure).

Anyhow, it seems like my inventory capacity is now permanently reduced? I remember being able to have items up to slot 'z', and now 'w' is the max I can have. Am I being paranoid and remembering things incorrectly, or should I really be able to have more stuff in my inventory?

[Edit: I should be clear that I'm still on 3.2.0, and this character has never undergone a version upgrade.]
                      Last edited by debo; May 25, 2014, 17:42.
                      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• chris
                        PosChengband Maintainer
                        • Jan 2008

I was killing dragons in mountainous area between Giant's Hall and Mountain, and a couple times I killed a dragon and it dropped a chest-sigil item called "(nothing)".

The first time I deliberately picked one up, and the second time I think I walked over it and it autopickuped (or I spammed 'get', not sure).

Anyhow, it seems like my inventory capacity is now permanently reduced? I remember being able to have items up to slot 'z', and now 'w' is the max I can have. Am I being paranoid and remembering things incorrectly, or should I really be able to have more stuff in my inventory?

[Edit: I should be clear that I'm still on 3.2.0, and this character has never undergone a version upgrade.]
                        Restart the game and you should get your slots back. I'm still trying to track down why this is happening ...

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by chris
                          Restart the game and you should get your slots back. I'm still trying to track down why this is happening ...
                          Weird, I thought I'd tried that. Just did it now and it worked. Sorry to waste your time -- I don't think this is really worth digging into to fix if the workaround is that easy
                          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

Weird, I thought I'd tried that. Just did it now and it worked. Sorry to waste your time -- I don't think this is really worth digging into to fix if the workaround is that easy
                            I think this bug is caused by an overflow of drops in a small area, and it ends getting recognized as "nothing"
                            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
                              PosChengband Maintainer
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                              I think this bug is caused by an overflow of drops in a small area, and it ends getting recognized as "nothing"
                              Actually, it is a wilderness scrolling bug, which fails to patch up the object location indices for all but the topmost object in a stack. Then, to reproduce, you need gold in the middle of a stack which is dropped right on the edge of a wilderness scroll trigger tile (Good luck finding those which is why I could never reproduce this damn bug!). Now step onto the stack which triggers a wilderness scroll and then autopicks up the gold, but the gold object no longer points to the correct cave tile, so the actual stack never gets patched up, leaving a hole for the newly wiped object and orphaning any remaining objects in the list. The wiped object that was gold is now zero'd out and displays as "(nothing)".

Make sense?

Comment

• Tulip
                                Scout
                                • Apr 2014

Have you considered an undead dragon subrace? Like a dracolich or some sort of undead wurm?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎