Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Donald Jonker
    Knight
    • Jun 2008

If you have an open mind, I have a theme for you. And no, I'm not entirely joking.

Name: Smokeband

Premise: You work at the top level of a skyscraper, and take frequent smoke breaks in the men's lavatory by exhaling through a vent. Today's been a bad day. Rummaging through your drawer, you realize you left your handy pack of smokes in the car, which is in the garage under the building. Panic building, you overhear a coworker complain that the elevators are all out of order.

You must now fight your way down through a building filled with high-and-mighty people hostile to smokers who seem committed to compromising your sanity. All this builds to a final fight with, you guessed it, the all-powerful Rob Reiner.

HP=Sanity Points

!CCW = Nicorette

Races = Different brands of cigarette: eg. Marlboro=Human; Camel=High-Elf; Newports=Half-Troll; Luckies=Dunedan.

Thrall mode = forgot your keys

With a little imagination you can veil the rest of the game similarly in modern-day office innuendo. Instead of swords, loudspeakers. Instead of helmets, ipods. And so on. There may be some licensing issues...
    Last edited by Donald Jonker; January 25, 2009, 23:50.
    Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
    -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Atarlost
      Swordsman
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
      If you have an open mind, I have a theme for you. And no, I'm not entirely joking.

Name: Smokeband
      It sounds like he's going to make it from scratch, not from the Angband codebase so it's not a *band. Instead it should be <drumroll />

Smokebanned.
      One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
      One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
        Knight
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Atarlost
        It sounds like he's going to make it from scratch, not from the Angband codebase so it's not a *band. Instead it should be <drumroll />

Smokebanned.
        Are you sure you're not thinking of this thread? The OP here is basing his off of Sangband and thus is making a *band... unless I'm missing some nuance.
        Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
        -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

This reminds me... Jamband delivery is only 2 months away. Better get to work...

Comment

• Atarlost
            Swordsman
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
            Are you sure you're not thinking of this thread?
            Yep. I'd just read that one and came here and was too eager to make the pun to realise I was on a different thread with a merely similar subject.
            One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
            One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• CJNyfalt
              Swordsman
              • May 2007

So, I was intending to discuss future plans, but the playtesting I did yesterday had me deciding to consider starting gear and money instead.

The deal is that I consider the starting part of the game, where I have to gain enough money to afford the gear needed for diving, takes too long.
              Now, I could give the player more starting money, but I think that it would be better to give more starting gear instead.
              So, I consider giving each starting character the following, in addition to the torches and food:
              - 5x !CLW
              - 5x ?PD
              - 3x ?WoR
              - 5x ?Learn Magic
              - A cloak
              - A pair of Leather Sandals
              - A hard leather cap
              - A shovel

Opinions?

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CJNyfalt
                So, I was intending to discuss future plans, but the playtesting I did yesterday had me deciding to consider starting gear and money instead.

The deal is that I consider the starting part of the game, where I have to gain enough money to afford the gear needed for diving, takes too long.
                Now, I could give the player more starting money, but I think that it would be better to give more starting gear instead.
                So, I consider giving each starting character the following, in addition to the torches and food:
                - 5x !CLW
                - 5x ?PD
                - 3x ?WoR
                - 5x ?Learn Magic
                - A cloak
                - A pair of Leather Sandals
                - A hard leather cap
                - A shovel

Opinions?
                3 WoR is excessive, I think; V starts wth 1. And I'm not convinced giving starting characters shovels is a good idea.
                takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• CJNyfalt
                  Swordsman
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                  3 WoR is excessive, I think; V starts wth 1. And I'm not convinced giving starting characters shovels is a good idea.
                  Was unsure about the shovel myself. As for the WoR, I'll try and start with one and add more if I think it the lack of WoR is still a problem after testing.

I would also like to add body armor to the starting kit: The question is robe or soft leather armor? Robes are kind of useless, but adding soft leather at start makes them even more useless.

Comment

• CJNyfalt
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2007

So, I managed to sort through my plans for this variant.

Short-term plans:

- Tweak stat-scaling to become more linear. I want characters to be viable without auto-roller use. This would probably mean that characters will perform better in the 11-18 range, and worse at high stats like 28+ compared to vanilla Sang.

- Add more boss-levels. Saruman and Witch-king seems like good candidates.

- Trim down number of elemental attack types. Time and Chaos are likely to get axed, because they have a flavor that doesn't fit my plans.

- Monster races. At first this will mostly be collections of common flags, but they will also serve the purpose of defining the game-world.

- Go through latest Vanilla for ideas.

Long-term plans (that means stuff I'm not sure how to implement):

- Rewrite shop code to remove need for town-scumming.

- Add mechanism for charming monsters.

- Make stats points become earned with exp, not from potions.

- Move setting away from Tolkien.

- Overhaul the skill mechanism to something more interesting.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                      Prophet
                      • Mar 2008

- Tweak stat-scaling to become more linear. I want characters to be viable without auto-roller use. This would probably mean that characters will perform better in the 11-18 range, and worse at high stats like 28+ compared to vanilla Sang.
                      Here is a possible stat scheme.

Let M be the maximum benefit of a stat. That could be anything from damage bonus for strength, index of 10 into blows table for dex, 8 mana per level for int/wis, or whatever.

Then, for a stat of S < 38 [38 is 18/200] make the benefit be M * S / 40. For stats S >= 38, the benefit is M.

I would love to see that tested.

Comment

• CJNyfalt
                        Swordsman
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by PowerDiver
                        Here is a possible stat scheme.

Let M be the maximum benefit of a stat. That could be anything from damage bonus for strength, index of 10 into blows table for dex, 8 mana per level for int/wis, or whatever.

Then, for a stat of S < 38 [38 is 18/200] make the benefit be M * S / 40. For stats S >= 38, the benefit is M.

I would love to see that tested.
                        Sounds good. That would also give benefit = 0 when S = 0. This would of course require the adjustment of some defaults elsewhere so that there would be no need for negative values.

Still considering the character creation stuff, I'm pondering if there is need to tweak starting money a bit. I'm considering to just give a straight 150 or 200 instead of the social class and stat related calculation.

Comment

• CJNyfalt
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2007

Merged in all the fixes from J. Middendorf's (aka camlost) Sangband-bugfix today.

Another thing that I want to do is to get rid of the use of sprintf in z-form. There is snprintf, but it was standardized in C99. So, is C99 in common enough use that I can use snprintf?

Comment

• takkaria
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2007

Merged in all the fixes from J. Middendorf's (aka camlost) Sangband-bugfix today.

Another thing that I want to do is to get rid of the use of sprintf in z-form. There is snprintf, but it was standardized in C99. So, is C99 in common enough use that I can use snprintf?
                            Except on MSVC, which calls it something else, IIRC. Note that the implementation of strnfmt is buggy even if you switch to snprintf (see http://dev.rephial.org/trac/changese...ontextlines=15). If you're going to switch to snprintf at all, you might as well work out how to switch to it in such a way you can remove vstrnfmt(), IMO, or just avoid using any of the printf() family at all.
                            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• CJNyfalt
                              Swordsman
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                              Except on MSVC, which calls it something else, IIRC. Note that the implementation of strnfmt is buggy even if you switch to snprintf (see http://dev.rephial.org/trac/changese...ontextlines=15). If you're going to switch to snprintf at all, you might as well work out how to switch to it in such a way you can remove vstrnfmt(), IMO, or just avoid using any of the printf() family at all.
                              Well, for the z-form.c trouble I see four different possible actions:
                              1. Do nothing

2. Fix what I can in it (which is not much)

3. Minimize number calls to z-form, replacing them with stdio.h calls if possible

4. Switch to C++, and get real string data types

Comment

• CJNyfalt
                                Swordsman
                                • May 2007

Today I did remove the generation of the character background text, and the social class. These two I classified as useless fluff that wasn't worth the effort needed for maintaining once I starts to tweak the races.
                                The starting money contribution from social class was 5x, so I replaced that with a fixed 25 corresponding to a social class of 5.

For now starting money is 25 + rand(100-150) +/- high stat adjustment.
                                I'm also considering to remove the stat effect on starting money.

Other useless fluff I want to remove is age, weight and height. The age variable will stay as a death-counter for beginner characters.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎