• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chryana
    Rookie
    • May 2007

question about unarmed combat

Hello,
    I have been playing an ent druid with the power strike ability. My character has been almost exclusively playing unarmed. This is supposed to give a chance to confuse monsters and I see plenty of messages to that effect in the console (e.g. You uppercut and attempt to confuse the filthy street urchin.), but my character is now level 34 and I cannot say I remember seeing a monster being confused by a melee attack even once. My character has had very low dexterity for most of the game (3-5), which may also have an impact.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Chryana
      Hello,
      I have been playing an ent druid with the power strike ability. My character has been almost exclusively playing unarmed. This is supposed to give a chance to confuse monsters and I see plenty of messages to that effect in the console (e.g. You uppercut and attempt to confuse the filthy street urchin.), but my character is now level 34 and I cannot say I remember seeing a monster being confused by a melee attack even once. My character has had very low dexterity for most of the game (3-5), which may also have an impact.
      Yes, probably. The confusion effect is more likely of you have a good to-hit, and DEX contributes to that.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Chryana
        Rookie
        • May 2007

gleaming black runes

Thanks for the incredibly quick reply to my last post, that was really kind.
        I still cannot confirm I saw any monster being confused by unarmed attacks, but in any case I mostly cast the confusion spells when a monster is vulnerable to it; it seems far more useful than in Vanilla. (Even Glaurung is vulnerable(!).)
        In any case... I found a chest with gleaming black runes whose trap I set off five times in a row before I disarmed it. Every time, I had an ominous message "Let the darkness have thee!" in the console. I couldn't but check the code and it seems meant to do something bad, but nothing much happened... My saving throw is 100% though.
        Finally, I had a crash when a Maia of Aulë caused the ceiling to collapse, but I see something similar was reported earlier and it may be fixed in newer versions of the code.
        I'm sorry if this post is a bit rambling, I don't have any questions; I only thought you may find this mildly interesting.

Comment

• Angloki
          Rookie
          • Nov 2010

Neat! I loved Fangband.))

Comment

• MITZE
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2017

Not related to FA2, but could you compile FA v1.4.5 and make it available somewhere—someone who isn't me was asking.

I was able to find release for it, but it just contains the source code, and then I tried compiling it myself, but even after whatever alterations required to stop making Cygwin throw a tantrum it still spewed a bunch of gobbeldygook at me at the end without providing an executable (or a pointer to whatever error was causing it).
            Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• OmniNegro
              Scout
              • Jul 2014

The person asking about a FA compile was Poglor. I will put the compile on my Google Drive to host if for the future... When we have a compile...

Comment

• backwardsEric
                Knight
                • Aug 2019

Windows and Mac binaries for 1.4.5 with some minor changes are at https://github.com/backwardsEric/FAangband/releases . Because of the minor changes, the version recorded in the binary is 1.4.5-7-gb9f41e339 . The minor changes are:
                1. Avoid multiple definition errors with modern GNU linkers.
                2. Prevent a crash at startup with the Mac front end.
                3. Set up a GitHub workflow based on one from Vanilla/FAAngband 2 to build the release.
                For me, the Windows version got through the birth process and to town when run under Wine on Linux. The Mac version got through the birth process and to town when run on macOS 12.7.5. I did not test either version further than that.

Comment

• MITZE
                  Swordsman
                  • Jan 2017

Thanks, it's been passed onto Poglor apparently.
                  Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• OmniNegro
                    Scout
                    • Jul 2014

Thank you to backwardsEric. We do appreciate it.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Yes, he's kind of handy
                      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎