X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

bakabakaband

This appears to be a Japanese variant of Hengband; it also references Deeangband (or possibly D'angband), which seems to be either an ancestor or a previous name.

Anyone know anything about it?
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
  • MITZE
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2017

First I'm hearing of it.

Without plugging the entire readme into Jisho/Google Translate, I'm not seeing anything about Deeangand; I am seeing something about Magic the Gathering though, along with mentions of Sil and Zangband.

I also notice it's mostly been coded in C++ according to Git, rather than C.
    Last edited by MITZE; June 30, 2021, 04:37. Reason: Fixed formatting.
    Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• backwardsEric
      Knight
      • Aug 2019

The owner of that repository is one of the current maintainers for Hengband. I don't know if there's any more overlap between Hengband and bakabakaband than that.

As for the C++, the development version of Hengband also moved to C++ a few months ago.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2022

Okay, from what I can understand (from the manual files):

It's Hengband, except with way more joke/meme material. It's designed to be unfair, but it also has built in 'cheat death' option with unlimited uses. There's also a mechanic called 'time-space destruction' which causes 'nasty' monsters (very strong for their level) to get generated. The severity of this mechanic can increase through:

-Passage of time
        -Resting at an inn
        -Using *Destruction*
        -Using Alter Reality as a non-Amberite

The 'Magic the Gathering' part is how the author refers to the joke content as 'silver-bordered' (Silver bordered cards in MtG are from joke sets). Hengband does have some actual monsters from MtG, though, and this variant adds more (along with material from other sources, like Skyrim, or just Hengband memes).

Comment

• tangar
          Veteran
          • Mar 2015

thanks for info, added to the table https://tangaria.com/variants/
          https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
          tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
          tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
          youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• smbhax
            Swordsman
            • Oct 2021

I haven't tried it, but I really enjoy the Google translations of the author's descriptions; they possibly also offer some insight into the Japanese dev or player view of Hengband. From a post in another thread, on a Touhou-themed variant http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=11040, in which I was semi-inappropriately babbling about this and some of author sibakane-works aka Deskull's other variants (including the aforementioned D'angband); thanks to Cryptomaniac's post I now understand what the "silver frame" MtG reference means:

Bakabakaband (aka 'stupid stupid savagery')

変愚蛮怒から派生してひたすらクッソ汚くおぞましい核実験場を目指すバリアント「馬鹿馬鹿蛮怒」です。「この門をくぐる者は一切の良識を捨てよ、あとしゃぶれよ」 - GitHub - sikabane-works/bakabakaband: 変愚蛮怒から派生してひたすらクッソ汚くおぞましい核実験場を目指すバリアント「馬鹿馬鹿蛮怒」です。「この門をくぐる者は一切の良識を捨てよ、あとしゃぶれよ」

Current.
            It is a variant "stupid savagery" that is derived from strange savagery and aims at a dirty and horrifying nuclear test site. "Those who go through this gate should throw away all good sense, and suck."
            Implementation is hopelessly dirty
            Hengband started to mess around with the source code about 10 years ago, and while repeating odd refactorings, hradish's amendment and Hourier's large scale in the last two years. Through refactoring, we're finally stripping away the greasy shit code of 30 years. As of the beginning of 2021, we finally moved to the 3.0.0 Alpha version with the addition of old production teams such as dis- and Habu, and new ones such as taotao, and put refactoring and debugging on track while using the thankful service called GitHub. I am. This fix is ​​still in progress and is very delicate.

Stupid stupid savagery repeats a crappy implementation to literally do stupid (only repository management remains as clean as possible), benefiting from those careful modifications. The foundation of the 3.0.0 series, revisiting the new elements that I had tried with the old source version (fork from Hengband 1.X series) of the variant "D'angband" that the author had failed in the past . It is to put it back on.
            The game is hopelessly dirty
            you may be killed instantly by taking damage that is two orders of magnitude different from HP. But rest assured. In this variant, the "Deceive Death" mode, which was originally unlocked only in Wizard mode, will be unlocked an infinite number of times in exchange for a slight progress penalty. No matter how much death the player may die, he can be revived with the shouts of everyone who was born in a certain Touhou voice drama project. We did it, Tae-chan!
            The story is desperately dirty
            From the beginning, * band roguelikes are murder-robbery of Mago-grandfather, one of Tolkien's beloved pastoral symbols, from the Angband stage . It was full of rugged material on the time axis. Therefore, in the ancient times of the Silmarillion story, there are variants such as sil that emphasizes the reproduction of the anecdotes of Beren and Lucien, and for the elderly serious Tolkien fans, the nature of * band roguelikes. Even if I talked a little about it, I was able to put in a lot of excitement.

After that, the motive was Zang, which is said to be "Www with the nine princes of Amber instead of Nazgul", and from there, a strange idiot that included a large amount of Japanese original material was born. It must be said that the silver frame elements of Magic the Gathering are lined up in parallel with the serious exchange of life and loneliness in that world view . Yes, so it's foolish and foolish, and as I've repeated from this declaration, the desperately dirty material that is the keyword of "the example" is mercilessly passed through. Also, even in the classic TRPG system from the past years, there will be various things that are said to be who will use such a monster-painted supplement.

However, I think that the author will get tired of such things, so I may seriously implement monsters and items that could be made into the reserve army of the next version of Hengband. There may be, but it's still fundamentally dirty, so don't expect it.

Please enjoy it to your heart's content based on the above. Let's get shit quickly.
            Last edited by smbhax; January 11, 2022, 00:13.
            My Angband videos

Comment

• tangar
              Veteran
              • Mar 2015

Soon we will have official description in English

Hiho! I've added bakabakaband to the Angband variant's table: https://tangaria.com/variants/ You are welcome to correct the description as we google translate stuff :) Thanks! Kind regards, igroglaz
              youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• smbhax
                Swordsman
                • Oct 2021

Originally posted by tangar
                Soon we will have official description in English

https://github.com/sikabane-works/ba...scussions/1706
                Nice! Looking forward to it 'D'
                My Angband videos

Comment

• tangar
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2015

Author of bakabakaband posted the description in English:
                  この門をくぐる者は一切の良識を捨てよ───馬鹿馬鹿蛮怒は変愚蛮怒から派生した「クッソ汚い核実験場」を目指す*band系ローグライクのバリアントです。 - sikabane-works/bakabakaband

This variant got really funny name In English it is: "stupidstupidband"

Comment

• smbhax
                    Swordsman
                    • Oct 2021

Admirable clarity of purpose ^_^
                    My Angband videos

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

Abandon All Honest, Ye Who Enter Here.

Comment