X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bughunter
    Adept
    • Nov 2019

I'm sentimental.

I'm kinda attached to the idea of putting them in order of their introduction to the game... Warrior being the OG adventurer, so gets listed first, followed by Rogue, Priest and Wizard, in any order... this would put Blackguard last.

It's organic, and acknowledges the long history of the roguelike genre.

Any newbie with any experience with fantasy gaming will understand it intuitively.

But ultimately, it really doesn't matter very much at all.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

With luck we'll have a proponent for all 9! possibilities soon (maybe 8!, everyone seems to want warriors first).
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

One other thing I want to do before releasing 4.2.2 is fix the default point allocation at birth. Blackguards are definitely wrong - they need more INT. What other classes are not working well?

Comment

• DavidMedley
          Veteran
          • Oct 2019

I don't think I've ever put 12 points in any stat on any class, but maybe I'm crazy.
          Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Sphara
            Knight
            • Oct 2016

Dwarf and Dunadan are supposed to make the best paladins but even they start with only 13 WIS. Doesn't anyone else think that's too low? Or does higher MP pool break the game coz of easier Minor Healing?
            Even ranger has higher starting WIS. Definitely could take DEX default value down a little imo. Paladin gets 2.3 starting attacks already with 18/20 STR, 15 DEX.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Sphara--
              No matter which half-caster you pick, you won't get good spellcasting unless you invest a couple points.

Comment

• archolewa
                Swordsman
                • Feb 2019

I agree about putting more points into the spellcasting stat for hybrids. I tried pumping Wis a bit with a paladin once after seeing how useful it was for Blackguard, and it makes Paladin so much more interesting to play in the early game. With the default allocation, paladin plays like a weak warrior with some out of combat healing and built-in detection. With some points in Wis, they can start relying more on their spells much earlier.

Comment

• Sphara
                  Knight
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                  Sphara--
                  No matter which half-caster you pick, you won't get good spellcasting unless you invest a couple points.
                  Yeah, I know. Rogues, for example, are especially bad casters with their INT score. They have their stealth. Paladin is forced to cast Detect Evil all the time and run around with close to zero MP. His Heal spell is exceptionally hard to get castable later. And gets severely beaten by several Minor Healing casts unless in a dire emergency where you are willing to take a miscast risk.

As far as were talking about default values, one or two points WIS wouldn't hurt if it is taken from DEX or CON or one from both. Investment could be made out from WIS, if people want to max early melee capabilities. This probably wouldn't change the fact that a paladin is simply a weak warrior that casts Minor Healing seven million times in one game.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2008

Found some bug while remapping commands for my variant. Since I don't have any available key left for the roguelike keyset, I tried to use '§' as key for the new command but this doesn't work.

- pressing '§' is translated as an event of type keyboard with key = 167 (0x000000A7) by textui_get_command()
                    - however, cmd_init() tries to register the command as 0xFFFFFFA7 since it's coded as keycode_t which is of type u32b in converted_list[] array which is of size UCHAR_MAX + 1 (256)
                    - mapping fails (there is no converted_list[167] defines) and command returns 'press ? for help'

I guess cmd_init() should cast the key as byte so it stays in bounds of the converted_list array.
                    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• whartung
                      Adept
                      • May 2020

I think the ordering only makes sense if it's communicated to the viewer why they are in that order, so it can actually affect their choice. Otherwise, anyone who takes 10s to read the entire list is just as likely to pick any one they want, with no regard to the underlying "ordering by complexity".

If the goal was to truly make the new players adventures potentially more successful, then the list should be not just class, but race and class combinations that are notably more forgiving than others.

Otherwise, it's just pot luck.

Comment

• Sphara
                        Knight
                        • Oct 2016

I already made an idiot of myself in angband.live, but having umber hulk to confuse me while having only safe way to north results into message line. You are too confused <116x>. No matter what direction I press, just as I do not heal myself or attack the hulk.

Once again.. remove the save file.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Turn running off. It won't let you even try while confused.

Comment

• Sphara
                            Knight
                            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            Turn running off. It won't let you even try while confused.
                            Well, I told I was an idiot and here I'm treated like an idiot.
                            Thanks, Pete. It seems I need to TURN ON (you know.. not off) running to get away with this. So-called-ffffing automovement got me away with the hulk.

The question is: why is that? For you Pete, it's probably just something normal that dumbasses like me do not understand. Things like better players telling me to turn OFF auto-movement when in fact it has already being turned OFF, but had to be turned ON.

But ok.. I'll turn running on next time I get confused by something. Or just forget numpad and play with that retard hjlybldgjkdjkgdhgkhskdjfhks- system.
                            Last edited by Sphara; December 10, 2020, 00:03.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2008

Trying to use ctrl+e on non-Windows client when term-2 and term-3 are not visible crashes the client. This is because the Windows client always instanciate all terms, while other clients don't. And toggle_inven_equip() doesn't test if angband_term[i] is defined, while anywhere else in the code a check is made.
                              PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Nick
                                Vanilla maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Sphara
                                Well, I told I was an idiot and here I'm treated like an idiot.
                                Thanks, Pete. It seems I need to TURN ON (you know.. not off) running to get away with this. So-called-ffffing automovement got me away with the hulk.

The question is: why is that? For you Pete, it's probably just something normal that dumbasses like me do not understand. Things like better players telling me to turn OFF auto-movement when in fact it has already being turned OFF, but had to be turned ON.

But ok.. I'll turn running on next time I get confused by something. Or just forget numpad and play with that retard hjlybldgjkdjkgdhgkhskdjfhks- system.
                                Is this maybe because of how angband.live handles running?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎